Basic Structure, conjugation practice

I made some sentences to practice if anyone wants to check.

• わたしのページをこのむください。
  • あなたのてをあらうください。
  • わたしはそれ本がきのうをよまなかった。
  • このりんごをたべない。
  • いつじ若いをいった, それものがたりを信じよう。<< I didn’t really know how I should use the double を in here.
  • 皆さんこんにちは、私たちは今日にこの本をべんきょうします。
  • あなたはおとうとおにいっぱしをうった。
6 Likes

First issue I see is if these sentences are supposed to be polite requests, you need to conjugate the verbs in to て form to attach the ください.

9 Likes

Ah, got that.

1 Like

Not a conjugation issue, but shouldn’t that それ be その?

2 Likes

You totally right.

You can’t attach それ to nouns, you should use その for that. Also, you should be aware that particles modify the word they directly follow - so in this sentence, を is marking “yesterday” as the direct object. So essentially this sentence is saying that the book didn’t read a yesterday. To fix this grammatically, it should be more like 昨日、(私は)その本をよまなかった。

This is another case where your particle placement is incorrect. Adverbs have a lot of freedom in where they can be placed in the sentence, but the one place they can’t go is directly before を, because that marks them as direct objects (which is grammatically incorrect).

Also I’m pretty sure you can’t say 本を勉強する, perhaps この本で勉強する would make more sense. Usually the direct object of 勉強する is the subject you’re studying, not the material that you’re studying from.

Could you maybe tell us what you were trying to say in English? Because I can’t really understand what this is supposed to mean. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

いつじ若いをいった, それものがたりを信じよう
When I was young, I believed in that tale.

When I was young isnt written like that, いつ is used in other cases and じ is not attached to it, mostly for time as in hours. Instead you would use 若い頃 (わかいころ)

Also again instead of それ you should use その

4 Likes

Or 若い時 as well, no?

3 Likes

so basically ~ ぼくはわかいころ, そのものがたりを信じよう。

1 Like

I think for the ending conjugation you would use 信じました or 信じていた

1 Like

Why are you using volitional form in your sentence for 信じる? Also you really don’t need the ぼくは.

I thought this was just the plain verb + conjugation.

I’m not sure what this means.

Either way, ~よう/~おう is the volitional form conjugation. Your English sentence says “I believed” but you aren’t using any form of past tense conjugation.

1 Like

〜よう is used as ‘lets’ as in ‘lets believe’, which is why I recommended adding past tense particles

3 Likes

I guess, I overlooked it. Also I don’t know the volitional form. Just a beginer mistake I guess.

So then my question becomes, where did you get 信じよう from?

Whats the difference between 信じていた - progression and 信じた - past Past Indicative

1 Like

http://www.japaneseverbconjugator.com I looked at Present Indicative and then I directly picked the verb underneat it, without really looking at it, thats how I made the mistake I guess.

Also can you explain this sentence?

あなたはおとうとおにいっぱしをうった。