[Request] Force a Short Delay After Getting A Wrong Answer (1-3 Seconds?)

EskimoJo said... There should be a back button tbh.
 I'm not so sure about the time delay thing because, as some people have said, it can really slow down your reviews, but I really like this back button idea.

Time delay or back button would be good. Happens to me also sometimes.

I support this. XD I usually end up opening the dashboard in another tab just to look up the word. >_<;

Naryoril said...
ecancil said... I'm not sure everyone would want to be slowed down because you can't stop yourself from prematurely hitting enter.  I've literally never had the problem.
 let's be honest: what's the impact of a 1-3 seconds slowdown in case of mistakes? and this only a slowdown if you hit enter while answering and then while it's on orange you realize your error. or don't you look at what you answered incorrectly if you get something wrong?
 The impact is a forced behavior in software, which would only help a fraction of the userbase who simply does not have enough self control to not cram the enter key without taking their time.  To be honest it's probably half the reason people are getting things wrong in the first place, is rushing through like a madman.

I think the back button is a good idea too.  By that point you can’t change the answer, only check it.  Also, if people are encouraged to go to a different tab and look it up, they might get it into their head to look up all the answers they have trouble with in that way, which would really hurt their learning curve.  Getting things wrong is part of learning, if you eliminate the possibility of being wrong too much, then you eliminate the learning.

Personally I’ve slowed my review responses down a lot in the past 2 weeks.  I’ve noticed some patterns in how the vocab is presented within the SRS that make it very devious if you fly through reviews too fast, especially when reviewing newer info with older info.  So before hitting enter, I generally take 1-3 seconds to really look at what I’m being asked and make sure I really want to give the answer I come up with.  I also say the readings out loud to make sure they sound “right” to me, because I’m actually starting to remember quite a few things just by hearing them, not by knowing the hiragana for them.  It is almost creepy the first time you see something and type out the hiragana before you’ve even tried to think of how it should be spelled, and realize it’s actually right.

Forcing us to wait after a wrong answer is not cool, but a back button would be nice.

Back button all the way.

+1!

I try to fly through reviews because I want to force myself to increase my speed.  I used to hitting enter as soon as I can to move to the next review.  If I think I’m getting an answer right, but in actuality get them wrong, I do the same thing and go to the next one right away.  I usually then have to get it wrong again to review the content.

ecancil said... The impact is a forced behavior in software, which would only help a fraction of the userbase who simply does not have enough self control to not cram the enter key without taking their time.  To be honest it's probably half the reason people are getting things wrong in the first place, is rushing through like a madman.
 I think it's actually better to get things wrong because you're rushing than take things too slowly.  You don't have time to stop, process and think about what you're reading or saying in real life.  You just have to "know" because you've reviewed something so many times and at a high speed.  Forcing yourself to speed up is a necessary skill to master the content.

This isn't to say force yourself to go quickly on new items, but you should always be trying to increase your speed.  If you know you have a problem review, then slow down when you see those until you master it a bit.
Seiji said... Forcing us to wait after a wrong answer is not cool, but a back button would be nice.
 Yeah, something like this, I don't want to slowed down.

Or for example if you press ctrl or some other hotkey it shows the item info of the previous item.
ecancil said...
Naryoril said...
ecancil said... I'm not sure everyone would want to be slowed down because you can't stop yourself from prematurely hitting enter.  I've literally never had the problem.
 let's be honest: what's the impact of a 1-3 seconds slowdown in case of mistakes? and this only a slowdown if you hit enter while answering and then while it's on orange you realize your error. or don't you look at what you answered incorrectly if you get something wrong?
 The impact is a forced behavior in software, which would only help a fraction of the userbase who simply does not have enough self control to not cram the enter key without taking their time.  To be honest it's probably half the reason people are getting things wrong in the first place, is rushing through like a madman.
 Koichi actually recommends you to try to go through as fast as you can. You should be able to recall items fairly quickly, and if you don't then you probably should see it a few more times anyway. (I can't remember where he said it, but I believe he said you should aim to be able to do something like 100 reviews in 20 minutes or something...fff.) 

That said, I like the idea of a back button more. But honestly, it's not that hard to have wani in another tab and look it up manually if you care that much.
Satoshi said...
Seiji said... Forcing us to wait after a wrong answer is not cool, but a back button would be nice.

Or for example if you press ctrl or some other hotkey it shows the item info of the previous item.
I also agree with that. A forced pause would drive me nuts. I don't personally need it, so it would just slow me down overall.

My only worry is that WK will go so slow it will take 3-4 seconds to load the delay…

I kinda agree. I sometimes type so quick and press Enter and right then I realise it was asking for the meaning instead of the reading. This is so annoying especially with the kanji/vocab. I know there is a white bar now but it is not enough. >: /

Kas said...
Satoshi said...

I also agree with that. A forced pause would drive me nuts. I don't personally need it, so it would just slow me down overall.
 Yes I agree as well. I see your point behind it but I go through them pretty fast and with so many reviews the delay time would add up.
Tarsen said... ...was gravity rainbow always level 2?

i thought he was like, lvl 17?

anyway, yeah, a 3 second delay would help, just a slight bit. 
 He unsubscribed for now because he will be busy soon. He will go back to either 17 or 18 once he returns...
Naryoril said... well, not clicking "next" quickly doesn't improve the quality of your answer, because the answer has already been given by then.
and as you said: it wouldn't hurt, but solve a problem probably a lot of people have.
 It does improve the quality of your answer. If there is some slowdown so you can take the time to review your mistake, then by the next time you review that item you are likely to give a better answer. Ofcourse  improvement in accuracy wont show until the next review.

Wanikani’s not slow enough for you?  @_@

Mikki said...
ecancil said...
Naryoril said...
 Koichi actually recommends you to try to go through as fast as you can. You should be able to recall items fairly quickly, and if you don't then you probably should see it a few more times anyway. (I can't remember where he said it, but I believe he said you should aim to be able to do something like 100 reviews in 20 minutes or something...fff.) 

That said, I like the idea of a back button more. But honestly, it's not that hard to have wani in another tab and look it up manually if you care that much.
Koichi also recommends taking your time and not rushing. In conclusion, do whatever works for you, but understand the perils of your choice and don't complain about the consequences.

Anyway, usually if I'm going so fast that I didn't expect to be mistaken and therefore clicked enter before I saw the red bar, then that's because I thought the question was asking for a different kanji/vocab, and I didn't look at the question properly. In which case, if I've gone that fast and/or if there are more than two kanji/vocab that I'm mixing up, then I usually won't know what the question was actually asking for and might not know if I've therefore made a typo, mixed up some items or really don't know the answer. I can normally figure this out by waiting for the next part of its review, but that can be confusing too and there have been loads of times when I've told myself to check out the info when the second part of an item comes up and I've breezed past it accidentally! And I'm too lazy to go find it later...

Urgh! Waffle... hope that post makes sense!
ecancil said...
Naryoril said...
Guys, I never said this should be forced for everyone (did I? If so, then sorry~). I just wanted an extension or 3rd party app. Sorry for the misunderstanding~

People who hate this idea, don't worry! Koichi and Viet will never do this! I just wanted a magical wizard like Kiko to.....you know.....do their magic....

I don’t know about a 3 sec delay, but I really like the idea of a back button.