[Request] Enhancing the Forums

This is a request. I am out of the programming game for quite some time, so maybe our skilled artisans here can achieve a brilliant plugin/addon/script/extension/magic/potion/drug that can add some community features. A list of features in priority:

1. hide/block users and their posts/threads
  2. hide specific threads
  3. hide specific forums
  4. hide/block the entire forum for monk approach of escaping procrastination
A forum can absorb a lot of lifetime and energy, better spent actually learning that language, we all gathered to learn. Remember? Japanese? Learning?

Thank you.

以上です
エミン

I was just reading the erotic tales series’ little mermaid and thought you said a forum can absorb a lot of life energy on the first read through.

kelth said... I was just reading the erotic tales series' little mermaid and thought you said a forum can absorb a lot of life energy on the first read through.
 Good choice of reading lad
Aztrex said...
kelth said... I was just reading the erotic tales series' little mermaid and thought you said a forum can absorb a lot of life energy on the first read through.
 Good choice of reading lad
 Sarcasm? It is really good though.
A forum can absorb a lot of lifetime and energy, better spent actually learning that language, we all gathered to learn. Remember? Japanese? Learning?
 The forum can be great for learning too though. 
shauntgoss said...
 The forum can be great for learning too though. 
 Hence the "can". Use it wisely. Features should be able to be activated temporarily. You have 250+ reviews? Hide the campfire forum. Don't want to see all those Level appreciation threads? Hide the WaniKani forum. You think the whole forum section needs to be turned off until you've studied for you JLPT N1, do it.

But mostly, block some users. Maybe a filter to find "slow" threads and list them as "spam" automatically would be nice.

I thought this thread was going to be about fixing the editor :slight_smile:

I’m working on number 4 actually. Expect it sometime next week.

I do agree that the forums could use an enhancing. I actually rather wish for a complete overhaul…but I’m sure that’d be too much an undertaking.

Maybe some way of tracking the threads that you’ve posted on, too :3

(Unless this already exists and I’m just super unobservant) 

Meiko90 said... Maybe some way of tracking the threads that you've posted on, too :3

(Unless this already exists and I'm just super unobservant) 
 have you seen this? /t/Wanikani-forum-enhancer-remember-where-you-left-off-subscribe-to-topics/2686/1

I want an email when someone posts on my topic. :slight_smile: Just sayin’.

tomboy said...
Meiko90 said... Maybe some way of tracking the threads that you've posted on, too :3

have you seen this? /t/Wanikani-forum-enhancer-remember-where-you-left-off-subscribe-to-topics/2686/1
 @Meiko: you know it's possible to view the threads you've posted in at https://www.wanikani.com/community/panel ? If you really want to track them, use the add-on @tomboy posted. Even when carefully looking at your user panel, sometimes you miss things. Especially when you use the forums a lot.

Hi Emin,

This script is a bit short on features, but I’ve found that it improves my forum experience:

// ==UserScript==
// @name        Squelth
// @description Squelches kelth
// @include     https://www.wanikani.com/chat/*
// ==/UserScript==
$(‘.forum-post-author-says.premium:contains(“kelth”)’).parents(‘tr’).hide();

BreadstickNinja said... Hi Emin,

This script is a bit short on features, but I've found that it improves my forum experience:

// ==UserScript==
// @name        Squelth
// @description Squelches kelth
// @include     https://www.wanikani.com/chat/*
// ==/UserScript==
$('.forum-post-author-says.premium:contains("kelth")').parents('tr').hide();

LOL
Mempo said...
tomboy said...

@Meiko: you know it's possible to view the threads you've posted in at https://www.wanikani.com/community/panel ? If you really want to track them, use the add-on @tomboy posted. Even when carefully looking at your user panel, sometimes you miss things. Especially when you use the forums a lot.
 Splendid, exactly what I wanted! Thanks Tomboy and Mempo :) 

I personally think if you require a feature to keep yourself from wasting time, and become responsible, then you have more important things to worry about, and bigger problems.

admiralawesome said... I personally think if you require a feature to keep yourself from wasting time, and become responsible, then you have more important things to worry about, and bigger problems.
 This is exactly what I was about to post. No offense to the OP or anything here I don't mean to call you out specifically just anyone in general with this issue. I mean, what ever happened to our society's self-control? Think about it for a minute: do you really need the feature that blocks the forum so you can do work instead? If you can't just put your head down and get to work when it's necessary, then life is going to be very difficult for you. If that's really the case, then fixing that issue first needs to be your top priority as I would argue that is more important than learning any language.
ducksFANjason said...
admiralawesome said... I personally think if you require a feature to keep yourself from wasting time, and become responsible, then you have more important things to worry about, and bigger problems.
 This is exactly what I was about to post. No offense to the OP or anything here I don't mean to call you out specifically just anyone in general with this issue. I mean, what ever happened to our society's self-control? Think about it for a minute: do you really need the feature that blocks the forum so you can do work instead? If you can't just put your head down and get to work when it's necessary, then life is going to be very difficult for you. If that's really the case, then fixing that issue first needs to be your top priority as I would argue that is more important than learning any language.
 What happened? Facebook happened. Email happened. Internet in general happened.

These days, there are a million possible distractions all around you. Especially for people working with a computer all day (like me). It's quite easy to say "oh wait, let me check X real quick" and down the rabbit hole you go. Maybe you two are very good at self-control but society in general isn't. We're only human after all! The world around us has conditioned us towards instant gratification, and productivity is paying the price for it. Why do you think there are a gazillion productivity apps, or TODO apps out there? Because people need them. Plain and simple. Procrastination is an issue nowadays. Not for everyone, but for a whole lot of people, for sure.

One of the reasons this affects some more than others is just age, job situation etc. If you're middle-aged, have a family and have a full time job, i don't expect procrastination to be an issue really, simply because you got a lot to do (real obligations) and so little time. So you just do it. You go to your job, and when you get home you do stuff with your family. You also remember a time before computers/internet, so you might not use a lot of its possible functions.
Now imagine a student in his college dorm. Heck, let's take me as an example. I grew up with the internet and if i wanted to, i could go a whole day without barely leaving my desk, because everything is digital nowadays. I learn new things, read, watch TV, and chat with friends, all on my computer. Besides classes, i don't really have any obligations. So there is a whole lot of things i could potentially do, but being human, i often follow the path of least resistance. That's indeed sad if you don't experience this issue, but it's the ugly truth and more common then you would imagine. Instead rejoice we want to do something about it.
(the above paragraph is an example, not an assumption about any person here)
Mempo said...
ducksFANjason said...
 What happened? Facebook happened. Email happened. Internet in general happened.

These days, there are a million possible distractions all around you. Especially for people working with a computer all day (like me). It's quite easy to say "oh wait, let me check X real quick" and down the rabbit hole you go. Maybe you two are very good at self-control but society in general isn't. We're only human after all! The world around us has conditioned us towards instant gratification, and productivity is paying the price for it. Why do you think there are a gazillion productivity apps, or TODO apps out there? Because people need them. Plain and simple. Procrastination is an issue nowadays. Not for everyone, but for a whole lot of people, for sure.

One of the reasons this affects some more than others is just age, job situation etc. If you're middle-aged, have a family and have a full time job, i don't expect procrastination to be an issue really, simply because you got a lot to do (real obligations) and so little time. So you just do it. You go to your job, and when you get home you do stuff with your family. You also remember a time before computers/internet, so you might not use a lot of its possible functions.
Now imagine a student in his college dorm. Heck, let's take me as an example. I grew up with the internet and if i wanted to, i could go a whole day without barely leaving my desk, because everything is digital nowadays. I learn new things, read, watch TV, and chat with friends, all on my computer. Besides classes, i don't really have any obligations. So there is a whole lot of things i could potentially do, but being human, i often follow the path of least resistance. That's indeed sad if you don't experience this issue, but it's the ugly truth and more common then you would imagine. Instead rejoice we want to do something about it.
(the above paragraph is an example, not an assumption about any person here)
 I think duck went a little too far on being a "society's self control" spiel.  I'm just looking at it in a practical sense. If you are so easily distracted, then blocking a forum is not a solution, as you'll just unblock it when you want to see it.

My point is your behavioral problems probably shouldn't be up to the application to deal with. I get distracted with things like YouTube all the time, but I'm never going to expect that Google has to do something because of my personal issue.

I'm a 23 year old college student by the way, though I'm not sure if age truly has as much to do with it as you might suggest. Computer Engineering is my major and I'm an intern as a System Admin, I'm probably on a computer more than most.

Most likely, it's better to change yourself to better suit your environment, instead of waiting for your environment to change for you.