Wanikani forum enhancer: remember where you left off + subscribe to topics!

Edit: If anyone is getting a blank page when clicking on a topic from the dashboard, that's because kiko's WK customizer shares the feature of redirecting to the last read page.
If you want to keep using both extensions, you need to disable that specific feature in one of the two extensions(look in the options).

------------

I've made a little chrome extension for Wanikani's forums.

There is still a lot of improvements to be made(especially regarding the looks...) but I think it's ready to be released as a beta.

What it does:

*Keeps track of the posts you have read(seen) in each topics

*add a red line at the beginning of the first unread post

*automatically moves you to the anchor of the first unread post

*Change the title’s color depending on the topic’s status: green: new topic; blue: unread posts; black: read

*change the link to point to the page of the first unread post

*You can subscribe to topics

Additional information:

There isn’t any API calls to access the forum’s information and therefore some parts of the extension (namely checking for new posts for the subscribed list and on the dashboard) require to load some additional pages in the background to get the information they need.

So, in a effort to not put too much strain on WK’s server, I’d recommend you keep the update interval in the options relatively high (by default 30min), think of the subscribed list as a way to keep in touch with moderately active topics(the one that are really active are going to be bumped constantly anyway).

Also, the checking of unread posts in the recent topic list on the dashboard is optional(and disabled by default) for the same reasons(a problem that isn’t present on the more detailed forum’s lists because the extension use the number of replies info to figure out if there are any unread posts).
 I don’t think it’s much of a problem because those topics are on WK’s homepage because they are active in the first place.

Download link:  

http://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/wanikani-forum-enhancer/jckcndpknkjljjalmmlahillkddpaaoh

Feel free to suggest any improvement (especially for the appearance of the subscribed topics list ^^).

This is great!
Oh wait. This is not so great. It will increase my chattygatting behaviour. :frowning:
Oh wait. This is great. I will replace Mikki as Wanikani Chattigator Number One. :slight_smile:
Oh wait. Is this great or not? Whatever. Arigatou gozaimasu, thenn42. ^^
P.S. Is there any particular reason for choosing “42” as part of your username?

Juichiro said... This is great!
Oh wait. This is not so great. It will increase my chattygatting behaviour. :(
Oh wait. This is great. I will replace Mikki as Wanikani Chattigator Number One. :)
Oh wait. Is this great or not? Whatever. Arigatou gozaimasu, thenn42. ^^
P.S. Is there any particular reason for choosing "42" as part of your username?
Thanks! 
however, I've just noticed I made a mistake and there is a small bug I need to fix before it works. I'm on it.

42 is a reference to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy  by Douglas Adams. 
Edit: Fixed (I think)

I am surprised no one came on here to congratulate you. Wanikani members must be really busy this summer. :frowning:

Juichiro said... I am surprised no one came on here to congratulate you. Wanikani members must be really busy this summer. :(
Well, the extension was pretty much broken for the past three hours anyway ^^ 

I think it’s a brilliant idea.^^ I’m going to use it.

Ahhhhhhhh! Excellent! taps fingertips together a la Mr Burns
Will download and have a play at a more reasonable hour i.e. NOT 2am…

+1

Wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing. (: 

I’m not sure if being able to keep better track of topics is a GOOD thing for me though…I think the forum would probably want to kill me. Seeing my face even more than they already do.  But right now Im addicted to an mmorpg…so I probably wont be posting as much as usual anyway…

Mikki said... Wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing. (: 

I'm not sure if being able to keep better track of topics is a GOOD thing for me though.....I think the forum would probably want to kill me. Seeing my face even more than they already do.  But right now Im addicted to an mmorpg.....so I probably wont be posting as much as usual anyway...
Awww!  :(  

But I like seeing your face!  Your avatar makes me happy!
sillysage said...
Mikki said... Wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing. (: 

I'm not sure if being able to keep better track of topics is a GOOD thing for me though.....I think the forum would probably want to kill me. Seeing my face even more than they already do.  But right now Im addicted to an mmorpg.....so I probably wont be posting as much as usual anyway...
Awww!  :(  

But I like seeing your face!  Your avatar makes me happy!
 My little sister calls my avatar "the one with the butter hair". Because yellow is officially butter color to her. I think she likes it too....butter is her favorite color.

Thanks! This will help me to reduce the time I waste in forums.

If anyone is getting a blank page when clicking on a topic from the dashboard, that's because kiko's WK customizer new version 1.8(collapsable nested quotes for chrome users, yay!) also introduce the feature of redirecting to the last read page.

If you want to keep using both extensions, I just pushed an update(1.4) that allows to disable the link redirection from my extension(look in the options).

Could I turn off the colors for the links? I’m not a fan. But it’s great to be able to subscribe!

And could the unsubscribe button be grey like other things, maybe except when you hover?
And could the red line be optional?

(sorry)

sugoida said... Could I turn off the colors for the links? I'm not a fan. But it's great to be able to subscribe!

sugoida said... And could the unsubscribe button be grey like other things, maybe except when you hover?

(sorry)
ok, no problem, I will work on it :) (but tomorrow, it's getting late here ^^) 
thenn42 said...
sugoida said... Could I turn off the colors for the links? I'm not a fan. But it's great to be able to subscribe!

sugoida said... And could the unsubscribe button be grey like other things, maybe except when you hover?

(sorry)
 ありがとう~

Woah, nice extension, thenn42! 
Alligator!

Alligator?

sugoida said… ありがとう~
 lol

mayucchi said...
sugoida said... ありがとう~
 lol
 Why lol?
thenn42 said...

(sorry)
done ! (except for the red text when you hover, yet)