Repeat old levels

Is there a possibility to repeat older levels? I know that I can repeat recent lessons, recent mistakes and burned items (which I don’t have yet :frowning: ).

I’m wondering if I could repeat some old things that will be in my reviews in a week or so. Like, I want to check if I remember everything from the level 1 correctly.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, this is currently not possible if you don’t use a userscript. If you’re fine with using userscripts, you can practice older levels with the Self-Study Quiz.

However, I believe you won’t have a lot of time to practice older levels later on, as the reviews begin to pile up pretty heavily :wink: I currently do about 180 reviews every day.

5 Likes

So, the theory behind a “spaced repetition system” like WaniKani says that doing this is counterproductive, for a couple of reasons:

• The WK system works by gradually asking you to remember the item at increasingly long intervals – hours, days, weeks, months. (The theory is that it’s the distance between times that helps cement each word into your brain.) The system knows it can try you on a longer interval when you answer correctly for the current interval; and if you answer wrongly it knows to try you on a shorter interval again. If you do self study of items now that are going to come up next week for their one month review, for example, then when you answer them in the reviews next week you were really only answering having seen the the item a few days ago, not on whether you can remember after not having seen it for a month – but WK can’t know that, so it thinks you remember them better than you perhaps really do.

• Efficiency: WK has 9000+ items it’s going to give you over the 60 levels, so it’s important to keep the number of reviews you do of each item to a minimum. A workflow that has you reviewing everything an extra time or two might seem like a small thing now but it adds up to a lot of extra time overall. One of the ideas behind spaced repetition is to get efficiency in amount of time spent overall to review each item.

I think a common rule of thumb I’ve seen is that it’s fine to do extra study of items you just failed, or anything still in “apprentice” (which really means you’re still learning the item). But beyond that is probably not recommended. The system itself will check whether you remember those level 1 items – when they come up for review next week :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well i kinda use WKStats to see my current lesson progress and such. WKStats provide you the readings and meanings when you hover a mouse so i use that to do a quick self review of any lesson i want. This is very useful if you want to review a lesson on the go. Its manual task but it kinda works for me.

You can reset your level. But this means you delete all your progress data after the level you reset to. And this is irreversible. Basically as if you never reached the level.

It makes sense if most of the items from recent levels are shaky.

to piggy back on this, they will stack exponentially too without some type of script which allows you to do things by srs or level.

So if you’re feeling like you’re forgetting the meanings of certain kanji, I would make an effort to copy pasta into a notepad or write them down as you feel like you’re forgetting. Especially for those leeches. You may have to spend extra time, but it will be time well worth!

Good luck :smiley:

1 Like

As said above, you can get a userscript, but you can also go through manually and only check the ones you’re not so sure about here for kanji, here for vocabulary and here for radicals.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with doing reviews outside of the scheduled ones. I think that the main point of spaced repetition is to maximise your capacity to learn something as quickly as possible. People who study the same thing every day will probably learn those items faster, but would have no time as things build up. If you want to add in isolated reviews, I think it can only benefit your progress! I know not everyone agrees with this, but that’s been my takeaway from using the system.