Rendaku hints & tips?

Hi, I’m pretty much a newbie and I am really struggling to remember when to rendaku something and when not to! I get HOW to do it, and I know which kanji do have like regular forms and rendaku’d forms, but can not for the life of me remember which it should be when!

Like, くち for 口。Is there a rule for when it should be ぐち??

Or… is it just a case of memorising when it’s used? (Please don’t say this is the case, I’ll cry)

Thanks!!

~ Elle :heart:

1 Like

I suspect you might enjoy this article:

10 Likes

Ah thank you!! Having a read of this now :+1:t3:

1 Like

There’s also a userscript called Wanikani rendaku information which adds an info section to your lessons explaining why a word does or does not rendaku.
I find it quite helpful, and would definitely recommend it!

8 Likes

My memory is apparently fuelled by pure rage. I angrily rant about rendaku at least once a day. The helpful user scripts and people on this site have given me great tips on when to rendaku and when not…but it’s still mostly guesswork for me. Until I get angry enough, then the rage burns it into my brain!

3 Likes

rendaku will be my nemesis eternally!

very few I can identify right away, most of the time and keep trying to remember and then, wrong!

1 Like

It’s really not that bad. In the vocab I’ve learned so far, rendaku happens when the “normal” reading would sound bad/forced/unnatural. Sometimes I get the reading wrong for the first 2 or 3 times but after that, when I try to read the vocab I notice immediately it sounds really bad without rendaku.

I may have come upon 1 or maybe 2 terms in total that I feel like they should rendaku judging by how the vocab sounds, but they actually don’t.

It may not seem like this just yet, but the further you get into WaniKani you’ll start to guess and just know when things get rendaku, intuitively, the first time you see a word.

The human brain is really remarkably good at being able to subconsciously pick up on patterns. The more reps you get, the better you’ll get. It’ll be a bit of a headache and struggle at first but your brain will start sorting things out the further you go.

7 Likes

Can confirm. :smiley::+1:

I honestly couldn’t even tell you what the exact pattern is other than when it’s part of the whole word it gets rendaku. There are some exceptions for sure but I can guess right at least 95% of the time at this point.

3 Likes

I can also attest to this, so don’t worry about failing too much and keep moving on.

3 Likes

Same as these three. The more you listen, the more you’ll know what sounds right. I still have a few blunders but it’s way below the 50% I’d be at if I were guessing.

1 Like

It’s something I’ve noticed with other aspects of Japanese as well. You start to see only small bits and pieces you understand and everything else seems frustratingly far away, but slowly you start to recognize more and more.

I see something similar with new vocab as well. At first, each new word requires a lot of effort, but the more vocab you learn, the easier it seems to become, including guessing many of the readings and rendaku.

1 Like

The one that’s still a pain in the butt is remembering whether 人 is じん or にん, though!

1 Like

or ひと or びと

2 Likes

I just made more rendaku mistake

根本(こんぽん)

I thought it was konbon. A word I rarely read or listen to, ends up like another mistake for me. Oh well

Thanks everyone! I read the info guide which simultaneously helped and terrified me lol.

Reassuring to know it kind of comes with practice and experience!!

:heart:

1 Like

It has mostly to do with phonetics. When you read aloud a lot, you may notice that some phoneme combinations are more comfortable than others. For instance, いりぐち and then try to read 入り口 as いりくち and I dare you はいりくち :stuck_out_tongue: .

However, there are exceptions like 緊張 (きんちょう、nervous), which constantly trip me up…

I can also say you will begin to get an idea of when rendaku will occur. One of the most likely examples is when a kanji ends with a つ which, if followed by a kanji with a non vowel sound will usually turn into a っ.

1 Like