Rendaku blood suffix

Hello,

I was reading the Tofugu article on Rendaku, and came across something interesting.

In this link, a list of prefixes and suffixes are given that never cause rendaku to happen. One of the rendaku-less suffixes is blood

However, in the same article, the word for nosebleed is presented with rendaku.

What exception am I not seeing here? I thought the prefixes and suffixes were absolute rendaku destroyers?

1 Like

It says this

Now letā€™s look at resistant suffixes. By ā€œresistant,ā€ we mean they donā€™t like to rendaku, even if the words before them would normally cause it. These suffixes are like oil to rendakuā€™s water!

Also, after é¼»č”€, thereā€™s only one other word that has a rendakuā€™d 蔀
黄蔀 (brandling, when used as fishing bait) and I have no idea what that even means in English.

3 Likes

To me that still says that they are absolutely refusing to mix with rendaku, so no rendaku. How do you interpret that?

Also, at the top of the page it says this:

Some prefixes block rendaku from occurring and some suffixes resist rendaku themselves.
1 Like

To me, resistance means what they say. It ā€œdoesnā€™t likeā€ to rendaku. Even something that is ā€œfire-resistantā€ will burn at a high enough temperature, itā€™s just rated to resist flammability up to a certain temperature or for a certain amount of time. If we want to dive deeper into the semantics of it.

ā€œBlockā€ (for prefixes) sounds a lot more absolute than ā€œresistā€ in their explanation.

But as I said, there are only two words with rendakuā€™d 蔀.

Thereā€™s basically no rule that canā€™t be broken somewhere.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.