Readings for n日

This has been bugging me for a while, so I figured I’d ask.

I know the readings of numbers combined with 日 tend to differ from the ones we initially learn, barring 一日, but the vocab given us involving this doesn’t seem to go beyond 十日. So I’ve been wondering, how does it work beyond 十? Does the reading tend towards the onyomi or the kunyomi?

For instance, how would 十五日 be read? じゅうごか or とおいつか?

Thanks o/

じゅうごにち. After 10, 日 is usually read にち and the reading for the numbers go back to “normal”. Look out for exceptions at 20 and when the ones digit is 4.

5 Likes

Counting past 10 in the Japanese style was kind of cumbersome, relatively speaking, which is probably why the Chinese way tended to be preferable at that point, even in categories where it starts with the Japanese way initially.

Think what bugs me most about the 日 counter is that the readings aren’t quite the same as the つ counter.

And also 1日 and 20日 are just freaky. I had to learn 20日 pretty fast, because the class exercise the day we learnt this counter was to mingle and tell each other when our birthdays are, and guess which day of the month I was born on…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.