Having a REALLY hard time figuring out when to use NICHI or JITSU for 日

Got any tips? Google just told me to keep trying I guess but that’s definitely not working

2 Likes

Sadly it’s the oldest and most common words that have the most exceptions.
For 日, it’s usually にち when you are counting and じつ when it’s descriptive:
三日 = さんにち
休日 = きゅうじつ

But sometimes:
二日 = ふつか

sorry

1 Like

Assuming you already understand when to use か and ひ, and that when talking about Japan it is always にち or に, and excepting, like, 毎日 一日 and 何日,

If it starts with 日 it’s にち, if it ends with 日 it’s じつ.

Boom I just achieved world peace

this isn’t actually a rule
But genuinely 日 word starting with じつ is extremely rare.

12 Likes

Here’s my most recent attempt. I can’t remember if I’ve done anything more comprehensive on the forums though:

Link to full post if you want to know what I was responding to.

3 Likes

Learning the vocab itshelf will extinguish this problem in the first place. U can´t figure it out by just knowing the readings, since there is no rule to them which reading to use. Just take these words out and learn them separatly, and it will be a cakewalk.

1 Like

How do I do that? :thinking:

wait wait wait, if 三日 is さんにち, why is WK teaching us みっか instead?

三日 is read as みっか, I think he might have made a mistake

6 Likes

sometimes ends with bi like in 記念日(きねんび)

1 Like

if u know for example that “same day” in japanese is spelled doujitsu, u can fairly easy say how 同日 is readed since u never heard about a word like “dounichi”.

1 Like

hehe that sounds like a nice strategy but I can’t quite grasp it considering I know 0 japanese outside of wanikani :stuck_out_tongue: still tho I’ll try to pick it up in chats

I doubt that’s true. In level 15 you’re going to learn the kanji 猫. It has the kun’yomi ねこ. I have never once heard of someone saying they had trouble remembering the reading for it. Nearly everyone who uses this website already knows that word before they start studying kanji, regardless of how much Japanese they’ve studied.

The same thing can work for other words. Going out and getting exposure in the real world is an excellent way to eliminate lingering trouble items.

If not that word, then surely one of the following 可愛い, 津波, 東京, etc are ones you do know. You are highly unlikely to have difficulty remembering their readings.

2 Likes

This might not sound helpful, but I felt like over time I got a feel for which would be appropriate in each situation. Like which reading flows best

2 Likes

Technically it exists but according my dictionary that reading is only specifically for the 3rd day of New Years 正月の三日 or if you’re living in the Edo period. :wink:

2 Likes

You’re referring to さんじつ, though, while the original person to mention 三日 mentioned さんにち.

In any case, I’m pretty sure they just made a mistake, rather than intended to refer to an obscure reading.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was just referring to the ‘days counter’ reading. Should have gone for something like 一日中.

Ah you’re right. I didn’t even catch that.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.