📚 📚 Read Japanese Every Day Challenge - Spring 2024 🌸 🍡 🌱

In one case, the table editor made an update on its own, immediately after someone made a manual update:

This one was done with the table editor:

And the first instance in this particular post:

In these three cases, a few users at the bottom of the list were duplicated.

Another one made by the table editor, where three users were removed, and one was moved to the bottom:

This happened in an update after the table editor was used:

And the same exact thing happened, but this time the table editor update was used in the update after this one:

In these cases, the same user keeps getting moved to the bottom

The table editor isn’t causing problems every single time it’s used, but all issues were either made by the table editor, or directly before or after it was used. It looks like there are two things going on: one is that someone uses the table editor to update, and it ends up messing with the post made before or after. The other is that something is causing the table editor to act and make updates on it’s own, and it chooses a random user as a (for lack of a better term) scapegoat.

11 Likes

April 3rd!

Today I read the first chapter of 老女的少女ひなたちゃん. I’m still slightly behind the ABBC, but I’m planning to read all of chapter 2 next week instead of reading half this week and half next week.

(Home Post)

17 Likes

:house: Home :house:

Today’s chapter was pretty short so I doubled up. I’m into volume two now out of the twelve I own.

Some quick math for fun. I’m at 9/117 chapters, 108 to go. To finish right on time, I’d have to read 1.83 chapters per day from here on. Definitely doable if I can keep it a priority

18 Likes

4 April | Jintor’s Study Log

:question: Title Type Natively Progress
:coffee: 焼いてるふたり 3 manga 25 35% → 66%
:candy: 不思議駄菓子屋1 book 24 79% (no change)
:cat2: また、同じ夢を見ていた book 25 52% (no change)
:rock: ダンジョン飯5 manga 29 56% (no change)
  • Puttering along with 焼いてる二人3, may or may not finish today.

I really should pick Frieren back up… I bought a bunch of physicals of that and Bisque doll and then stopped reading both lol. Maybe once one of these book clubs wraps

19 Likes

2024-04-03

:previous_track_button: Previous | :house: Home post | Next :next_track_button:

Date Name Type Amount Time
2024-04-03 :books: 本好きの下剋上第一部6 :green_book: Manga :arrow_forward: Chapter 28-29.5
:page_facing_up: 69 pages
:hourglass: 0h40m

Three more chapters down of the part 6 本好きの下剋上 manga, so just the short story at the end to go. A bit of a harder episode this week with lots of talk of copyrights and guild exclusivity, so while I thought I escaped the difficulty in Log Horizon I was expecting in the listening challenge, I guess it showed up here instead.

18 Likes

late reply here, but Geocities made a comeback as Neocities.org and I’m pretty sure it gives a subdomain now. Quite a few creative and interesting pages on there.

5 Likes

Hello everyone,

I didn’t make a home post this time, I’ll probably just post reading updates every few days. I’ve been reading NHK Easy articles and shooting for three a day. I sort of type out what I think they say and then stick the original text into a translator and see what happens. Probably not the best way but if anyone knows where to grab good translations of the articles, I’d be really interested.

18 Likes

:bug: April 3rd :horse_racing:

Smoking :smoking: was fun and I realized something that I’ll go post in the home thread in a moment.

Nausicaa :bug: I am definitely hate reading until the large number of new book clubs start in mid April. I just want to be done with it and sell it back to a 2nd hand shop lol. I think part of it is that I just don’t care for stories that revolve around war and Miyazaki’s thoughts on war are the point of Nausicaa according to people who’ve finished it.

17 Likes

:cherry_blossom::sunny::memo: 4月 3日

Book Natively Progress Type
:crystal_ball: ありす19th L 21 85% → 100% Manga :tada:
:mechanical_arm: 鋼の錬金術師 (FMA) L 30 66% → 68% Manga
:closed_book: 新にほんご 500問 N2 L 33 50% → 53% JLPT
:shinto_shrine: すずめの戸締まり L 31 0% → 1% Novel

I finished ありす! :sob: It’s been over a month since I last finished a book, so this was a very welcome accomplishment. It has tasty boy drama mixed with dark magical girl vibes and I’m sad it’s come to an end! But I definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to read a nostalgic shoujo-style magical girl story.

As for choosing a novel, I realized that I actually have the physical copy of Suzume, which makes reading on-the-go wayyy easier. It’s pretty lengthy at almost 400 pages and is apparently rich with N2 grammar, so this will be an interesting challenge for spring-summer. But I’m ready ^–^

See you next time!

↑ zoom back up to home thread

21 Likes

Home Post

4月3日

I’m flipping my sleep schedule hopefully. Also the story is heating up and dumping me into drama already. If I try committing to reading maybe I can actually average 5 pages a day.

Reading Type Status
:smiling_imp: 原罪物語 -罪- LN 15/252
Vocab of the day
  • 示(しめ)し = lesson, example
  • ためらう=to hesitate
  • 海底(かいてい) = bottom of the ocean
  • 解明(かいめい) = explanation
  • 誇(ほこ)る = to boast of, wk46
  • 遺物(いぶつ) = relic
  • 動力源(どうりょくげん) = source of power
  • 林檎(りんご) = apple
  • こめる=込(こ)める = to load, wk34
  • 握(にぎ)りつぶす = to crush
  • 残骸(ざんがい) = ruins
  • 神託(しんたく) = oracle
  • 授(さず)かる = to be awarded
  • 脅(おびや)かす = to threaten
  • 奉(たてまつ)る = to offer
  • 発掘(はっくつ) = excavation, wk42
  • 縄張(なわば)り = cordoning off, wk38
  • 壁(かべ) = wall, wk39
  • 顔色(かおいろ) = complexion, countenance, expression
  • 日照(ひで)り = dry weather, drought
  • 発言(はつげん) = statement
  • お陰(かげ)で = thanks to, wk47
  • 食(く)い止(と)める = to check, to hold back
  • 洪水(こうずい) = flooding, wk56
  • もったいぶる = to put on airs, to assume importance
  • 単刀直入(たんとうちょくにゅう) = straight to the point
  • 破滅(はめつ) = ruin
  • 瞬間(しゅんかん) = moment, wk46
  • 鋭(するど)い = sharp, wk40
  • 宵闇(よいやみ) = twilight
  • 歯車(はぐるま) = gear
  • 寿命(じゅみょう) = lifespan, wk35
17 Likes

April 4th | SeanBones’ Home Post

Book Progress
:guitar: Rocka Rock Chapter 1 Finished

Thoughts:

Internet crapped out on me so that hurt my reading today lol, but I still got it done! Checked out one of the new manga in Weekly Shonen Sunday! Big take away: holy shit Shonen is so much easier than seinen! Didn’t need a single lookup and read at basically the same speed as English! Solid chapter, will post about it more on my Magazine thread when my internet is fixed!

Rocka Rock Chapter 1 Cover Page

19 Likes

4th april

back to the bakumatsu book! read about 25 pages which took me to the end of section 4 but was a bit taxing tbh. anecdote that stuck in my head was the guy who got a meteorite and made a sword out of it and called it 流星刀(りゅうせいとう).

today’s nhk article was this one, plus the entries on 確(たし)かに~が and たところで in aDoIJG

17 Likes

Sorry I missed this this morning

Reply to Nyx

Did the human say they’d see the reaper? Was that in Russian? I felt like the reaper made an effort but it seemed mostly ignored by the human and not to mention them threatening the reaper first.

6 Likes

<< Prev

Q2 of 2024 | Week 1

4月4日 (木)

• :cn: Three Kingdoms 1 (9-10/16)

Change of pace to reading with full Pinyin and no audio. Also read some grammar, and add words to Pleco.

• DIJG : とは限らない

• NHKにようこそ (35-38%)

• STEINS;GATE 比翼恋理のだーりん

Words of the day
17 Likes

:cherry_blossom: :teapot: Home Post and thread

4月4日木曜日

:jar: The Jam Maker on Satori Reader, episodes 18 to 20.
There are more and more sentences broken by SR that I can read on my own (except for the idiomatic expressions of course, even if sometimes, I can guess some).

I can’t read as much as I’d like these days because I have a lot of things planned on evening. I feel a little frustrated :sweat_smile:

18 Likes

April 4 | Home post

Today I first read 2500 characters from the VN Island, and then I started reading another VN: Christmas Tina. There’s something about VNs that I really like. I haven’t really read any VNs before, but now I can’t get enough! I must have read 5000 characters or more today between the two VNs.

17 Likes

:notebook_with_decorative_cover: :video_game: :cherry_blossom: :shamrock: April 3

Another busy day. Read a ハイキュー!! chapter and a little 傲慢と善良 (49% → 50%). Very slowly but I finally reached the half-way point, yay!

17 Likes

:house: home post :house:
:calendar: 2024年4月4日 :calendar:

:question: Title Read today Currently at Notes
:desert_island: ISLAND 20k 445.000 char ? new words

:eyes: well guess what happened today

Wow well done! That’s a lot of reading! I find it super exciting that you’re enjoying VNs, me too :smiley: it’s like a perfect combo of everything: novel + manga feelings at time + speech + the format of going back and having many different endings is a lot of fun

18 Likes

:dango: :seedling: snowwater’s home thread :snowflake::droplet:

:snowflake::droplet: 04月01日 (月) Type Progress Pages
:hibiscus: せーラー服と機関銃 Book 26->27% 2 (88 to 90)
:owl: ハリー・ポッターと賢者の石 Book 0->1% 5
キノの旅 Book 4
:snowflake::droplet: 04月02日 (火) Type Progress Pages
:hibiscus: せーラー服と機関銃 Book 27->30% 12 (90 to 102)
キノの旅 Book - 6
:snowflake::droplet: 04月03日 (水) Type Progress Pages
:couple_with_heart_woman_woman: アステリズムに花束を 百合SFアンソロジー Book 68->70% 5 (249 to 254)
:owl: ハリー・ポッターと賢者の石 Book 1->2% 4 (8 to 12)
:snowflake::droplet: 04月04日 (木) Type Progress Pages
:couple_with_heart_woman_woman: アステリズムに花束を 百合SFアンソロジー Book 70->72 7 (254 to 261)

Ok, this is my first entry for the challenge. I tend to forget that taking notes of what I read daily is, by itself, a big challenge. But that’s ok, it helps to give some numbers and keep track of progress which is a nice visual representation. And it also puts things in perspective nicely. I’m also exploring new ways to represent the data; I’ll try keep track of the progress and type of books too.

If I look at the last 4 days, it is very clear that what I’m reading is mostly books. Which is obvious for me, of course - I know that I read a few pages in my kindle during commute, and a few pages either of a physical book (キノの旅) or kindle before bed. I like variation, so I usually read more than a book a day. In practice, though, I’ve gotten into a comfortable schedule where I start reading for my bookclubs on Friday/Saturday, and usually start with manga. The books tend to get pushed back to the week, and I read them during my commute. It kind of works, as I get my reading done in time - if I’m done early, I pick something on the side like Harta or キノの旅 which I am reading by myself.

Also a few thoughts on books and this week's reading

:hibiscus: せーラー服と機関銃: this is one of my ‘easiest’ reads at the moment. Not because I don’t have to look up words, but because I feel that the story flows very easily and I find it very interesting. I really like the author’s style, and I’m enjoying the club so far, it certainly keeps me hooked up.

キノの旅: Kino has been a struggle for me, but I am very close to the end (I’m about 10 pages to go). I started it casually as a solo read, since it was a story I knew from year’s back and a good level for me. But around halfway through the book, I started losing interest in the story. I couldn’t empathise much with the characters, nor with Kino who feels too much like an impartial observer at times, and I wasn’t particular excited about the stories. However, one of my goals this year was to try to finish books I had started and lost gas halfway, and since my main reading goal was also educational (to better my Japanese), I decided to stick with it to the end. But I doubt I will read further volumes.

:owl:ハリー・ポッターと賢者の石: those who pay (or paid, before I changed it) close attention to my original post will see Harry Potter wasn’t there, but I couldn’t hold myself back: I had to join the Natively club. And I’m really enjoying it so far. I had listened to chapter 1 of the audiobook in Japanese already (as an Anki deck!) so it feels familiar and easy to follow. My only concern is that, together with my current books, the workload (readload?) might be too large so I am not sure if I can keep up with the reading - I’m barely halfway through chapter 1. But I will see how this goes.

:couple_with_heart_woman_woman: アステリズムに花束を 百合SFアンソロジー: This is the hardest book I am reading so far. And it also made me realise that I am, actually, not a huge SF fan. Even less when SF and fantasy are mixed. It’s an anthology, and I’m in story 8 so far. Some stories were great, others were so difficult I could barely understand them. Some were just boring/weird, and I had to drop one I couldn’t get into. Many of them barely had any GL. The current story is nice so far, but it’s also a wall of text and costs me a lot of time to read. Still, I am 70% through the book and I want to at least finish the current story (there is only 1 left afterwards).

21 Likes

四月四日・Home Post

I read this Lv2 Tadoku book.

17 Likes