I’ve finished the second half of chapter 4 and read the first two pages of chapter 5 of 1Q84 Book 1 前編 :3
Aria: the masterpiece volume 3 – progress report
Yesterday: Read up to page 273, finished chapter 27 and ‘special navigation’ 27.5
Today: Continued up to page 184.
Didn’t have a very productive day and the same applied to today’s reading.
Sounds great to me – I’ll keep both options in mind when I find the time to watch my first Zootr tournament. I’m certainly looking forward to the chaotic ones, though. I may watch one or two standard ones and then jump into one of these. In terms of my knowledge about the game, I don’t think I’ll need to do any extra research as I think I know Ocarina of Time like the back of my hand by now (watched plenty of play-throughs ‘live’ and online, and played it myself several times).
You mentioning playing BotW in Japanese just reminded me of my poor attempt:
I tried using BotW as a bit of reading practice myself around two and a half years ago. It was my third play-through and I wanted to do a Master Mode run in Japanese to test the waters on how much I could understand. I’m was (and still am) at a beginner to pre-intermediate level meaning that the first two hours with the old man doing the expositions on the plateau and all the weapon names and descriptions already kicked my butt and made me utterly exhausted from all the looking up. I kept it in Japanese, took a lot of screenshots for future reference and reading practice but I didn’t look things up after the first 5 hours anymore and didn’t understand almost anything as a result. Maybe one day I can go back to it or its sequel and understand most of it.
I hope that your play-through will be enjoyable and that you will understand a lot – even if it’s not 95%.
Word or expression of the day:
入り組む - (いりくむ) - to be or become complicated
Today I read a chapter of Orange. This series continues to pull on my heartstrings!
２月６日 (Home Post Link)
With all the ヨルシカ talk recently, I was digging around online and found out that they have a new album coming out in a few months, and that the title of this album comes from an older short story! So, of course, I went and found it on aozora and worked my way through it. The album title is 幻燈 （げんとう）and it comes from the opening line of やまなし. I’ve seen some people translating this as ‘magic lantern’ like a literal magic lantern, but I think in the story it makes more context as being a projector slide used with one of these. We have two very different vivid descriptions of how the surface of the water reflects light and objects at different times in the year, the first being in the summer with bright dazzling daylight and flower petals, and then in the winter with moonlight.
- やまなし (宮沢賢治) - After reading through it once, then watching a video with narration/illustrations, and then trying to pick apart a few particular spots that weren’t quite making sense to me, I think I understand most of the things that are happening, but I don’t quite understand the “why” if that makes sense? There’s some allegory here that I think I just don’t know enough to connect it to (which seems to be the same experience for some of the reviews on bookmeter lmao). I did also find a paper talking about the significance of the works of 宮沢賢治 as either zen buddhist parables or extremely veiled political allegory, but I don’t have access to the journal Of course, I’m also curious how this is going to relate to the themes of the album when that comes out, but that’s not for another 2 months. It does contain what i’m fairly certain are some made-up words, so be warned if you want to check it out
- 三ツ星カラーズ ch 3 - starting to kinda figure out the speech styles (and catchphrases) a bit so this one felt a bit easier. I like how much weird jrpg terminology 琴葉ちゃん uses
- 新完全マスター pg 12+13 - thankfully mostly stuff i’ve seen before today
- i might do some 夜カフェ later but やまなし kinda took it out of me for today
Word of the Day
クラムボン ー literally no one seems to know what this means. clam boy? but what does it refer to? seems to be anyone’s guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
start - 15
I fell asleep at my kotatsu (several times?) and was just exhausted yesterday. Looks like a busy week ahead >-> not sure how much time I’ll have for reading.
Finished chapter 4 of 魔女の旅々. It was overall interesting so per day I read more than usual. Word of the chapter is probably 旅の占い師.
Elaina is definitely quite an interesting character.
Arlo. Arlo was one of the characters who’s used 俺. And there’s nothing about any of the situations that he’s used 俺 vs 私 vs わたし vs わし (still going to think of that one as a typo, because, like, what) for it to make sense that he doesn’t just use one?? Remmy’s also one who uses 俺, but I can’t remember if I’ve ever seen him use anything else.
And today I met Ack, a robot cook who speaks almost entirely in katakana… Lovely.
Anyway, I didn’t just play ポルティア today, though I did do a lot of that (and will continue playing after posting). I also did a bit of book club reading, reading mission 27 of SPY×FAMILY.
Some vocab of note:
もらう [他ア五] to have in one’s pocket (a fight, match, etc.); to have in the bag
或る (ある) [prenominal] a certain…; some…. Until today, I’d thought this was just a different, possibly expression, usage of 有る, but nope, it’s a totally separate word.
Today’s 夜は短し was alright, no struggles. Only 9 unknown words.
What did I read?: 魔女と猫の話
How much did I read?: 4 pages
(Continued 3rd Story )
How long did it take me?: 41 min
I never really talked about what this story is about, so here’s what’s happened so far: Chise doesn’t like the attention that having a black cat (which is rare) and being a 夜-type witch brings, and wishes to be more ordinary. So she tells her cat Sei to keep his distance from her, even as she works on her practical exercise: helping a woman with a case of insomnia. But after she gets to know the woman more, she begins to feel sorry about her halfhearted efforts to help her and finally decides to work together with Sei.
February 6 Home Post
Read some more 山猫 today, but it was a sleepy day so not as much as I would’ve liked, I wanna know more about what’s going on!! Tomorrow’s a new day haha.
Last night I opened my DragonBall Manga that I bought last year and read for about 15 minutes. A lot of words I didn’t know but from those I knew and the pictures, I got the gist (extensive reading).
Today I did 30 minutes of graded readers. I noticed that I was reading faster and understanding the story despite not knowing some of the main vocabulary, so reading does really improve reading lol (intensive reading).
Glad to see you feel improvement despite not having 100% concept of everything. That is something I only recently really internalized in my own reading. I am still going back and grabbing words that stuck out and looking up but I try to read the first time uninterrupted unless its a words that keeps popping up that regardless of context I can’t get. Luckily with Manga a lot of that context is given visually too.
Finished Steel Ball Run Volume 4. So I think I’m gonna do My Hero then 推しの子. From there I’m gonna just read 推しの子 until I’m caught up with the volumes. Jojo is probably gonna be my main manga in a couple weeks. But I’m gonna be Jojo’d out by Saturday since I’m on the last leg of Stardust Crusaders. Which I don’t wanna do.
Finished My Hero Academia 37. I couldn’t stop reading it, so many big moments X_X
Read this week’s chapter of オレンジ and then some この本を盗む者は. I wanted to play some B$ as well but I was weirdly tired so I went to sleep early. A wise decision for once (probably).
2 月 7 日
Busy day today but had a chance to read an NHK Web Easy article on the earthquakes in Turkey. I read a bunch of English articles on it already for work so this was an easy read. Also since i had read previous disaster related Japanese news before I could recall learned vocab from those instances.
Such sad and frightening news. To those in the region or know people there, I hope you and your loved ones are safe.
Back at work properly for first time in 2 months. Still got some reading done.
6/2 1 page 夜カフェ, 13 pages Cells at Work
7/1 9 pages Cells at Work (finished last week’s reading, onto this one)
新書太閣記 progress: 07.58% // Volume I: 87.91%
Three chapters to go!
Words found under the kotatsu
放縦「ほうじゅう」ー Self-indulgence; dissolution
自刃「じじん」ー Suicide by the sword
菩提「ぼだい」ー Bodhi; enlightenment (Buddhism)
Character Name List
Probably some spoilers, but this is a historic novel, so can spoilers really exist for things that have (for the most part) actually happened
Volume I: 1535 - 15??
日吉「ひよし」- Hideyoshi (as child)
Nicknames: 猿「さる」/ 針売り「はりうり」
Name serving Nobunaga: 木下 藤吉郎「きのした ときちろう」
木下弥右衛門「きのした やえもん」- Father
– – 乙若「おとわか」- Old friend (serves under 織田)
大政所「おおまんどころ」// also お奈加「おなか」ー Mother
おつみ - Older sister
小竹「こちく」- Baby brother
加藤清正「かとう きよまさ」// also 弾正「だんじょう」- Ojisan (only distantly related (before marriage))
– Married to: おえつ (sister of お奈加)
Friends & Acquaintances
仁王「におう」- Big kid friend
於福「おふく」(Nickname - full name: 福太郎「ふくたろ」) // 楊景福「ようけいふく」(Chinese name/birth name) - Timid kid friend (older than Hideyoshi)
– 五郎大夫 「ごろ だゆう」// 祥瑞「しょうずい」(Chinese name) - Father
– 梨琴「りきん」- Mother
捨次郎「すてじろう」- Previous servant to 五郎, later the adoptive father of 於福, and owner of a tea ware shop - and employer of, and master to, Hideyoshi
蜂須賀小六「はちすか ころく」(also 正勝 「まさかつ」) - Head of the Hachisuka clan
– 七内「なない」- Younger brother
– Married to 松波「まつなみ」
– – 亀一「かめいち」- Son
渡辺天蔵「わたなべ てんぞう」- Deserter - Nobushi (Nephew to Koroku)
難波内記「なんば ないき」- Spy disguised as a Komuso
仁田彦十「にった ひこじゅう」- Subordinate
(蜂須賀正利「はちすか まさとし」- previous head of the Hachisuka clan)
((questionable) Alliance with the Hachisuka clan)
斎藤 道三「さいとう どうさん」- Head of the Saito clan
– 斎藤義龍「さいとう よしたつ」(also: 高政「たかまさ」) - Son
明智 光秀「あけち みつひで」(common name: 十兵衛「じゅうべい」) - serves under Dosan
– 又市「またいち」- Underling / foot soldier
堀田 道空「ほった どうくう」- Chief retainer
弥平治光春「やへいじ みつはら」- Retainer (cousin to Jyubei)
– 明智光安「あけち みつやす」- Father
春日丹後「かすが たんご」- Military commander
織田 信長「おだ のぶなが」- Leader of the Oda clan (Married to the daughter of Saito Dosan)
– 卯月「うづき」- Nobunaga’s faithful, old horse
– 織田信秀「おだ のぶひで」- Father and previous leader of the Oda clan
– – 織田与三郎「おだ よさぶろう」- Younger brother
Retainers (Under Nobuhide rule):
平手 政秀「ひらて まさひで」
– 五郎左衛門「ごろうざえもん」(nickname: 五郎左「ごろうざ」) - First son
– 監物「けんもつ」- Second son
– 甚左衛門「じんざえもん」- Third son
– 雨宮勘解由「あめみや かげゆ」- Servant
林 秀貞「はやし ひでさだ」(common name: 新五郎「しんごろ」)
青山 信昌「あおやま のぶまさ」(common name: 与三右衛門「よそうえもん」)
内藤 勝介「ないとう しょうすけ / かつすけ」
市川大介「いちかわ だいすけ」- Archery master/instructor
平田三位「ひらた さんみ」- Master of military strategy
斯波義統「しば よしむね」- Head of the Shiba clan, at Kiyosu castle
– 斯波義銀「しば よしかね」- Son
今川義元「いまがわ よしもと」- Daimyo
松下之綱「まつした ゆきつな」(common name: 加兵衛「かへい」)
多賀能八郎「たがのう はしろう」(nickname: 能八「のうはち」)
太郎義信「たけだ よしのぶ」- Commander
(Married to the daughter of Imagawa Yoshimoto to tie the clans)
上泉 信綱「かみいずみ のぶつな」(also: 上泉 伊勢守「かみいずみ いせのかみ」) - Founder of the 新陰流「しんかげりゅう」school of Kenjutsu
– 疋田小伯「ひきた しょうはく」- Disciple
– 神後五六郎「かんご ごろくろう」- Disciple
塚原 卜伝「つかはら ぼくでん」- Kensei; legendary swordsman
阿倍仲麻呂「あべ の なかまろ」ー Japanese scholar & poet (700s)
白楽天「はく きょい」ー Chinese poet (Bai Juyi / Bo Juyi) also known as: 白楽天「はく らくてん」in Japan. (Late 700s)
道元「どうげん」(or 道元禅師「どうげん ぜんじ」ー Japanese Buddhist Priest, writer & poet (also known as 栄西禅師「えいさい ぜんじ」) (Early / mid 1200s)
空海「くうかい」ー The one and only Kukai or Kobo Daishi - a Buddhist monk. Posthumously given the title of: 弘法大師「こうぼう だいし」born as: 佐伯 眞魚「さえき の まお」(late 700s / early 800s)
源頼政「みなもと の よりまさ」ー Prominent poet and warrior (1100s)
平 重盛「たいら の しげもり」ー Military commander and court noble, claimed to be an ancestor of Oda Nobunaga (Mid-1100s)
桓武（天皇）「かんむ（てんのう）」ー 50th Emperor of Japan, claimed to be an ancestor of Taira no Shigemori, thus ancestor to Oda Nobunaga (Mid-Late 700s)
- ふしぎの国のバード Vol.1 Ch.3 粕壁
- 一度読んだら絶対に忘れない日本史の教科書 Ch.2 飛鳥・奈良 [1/16]
Many not so long subsections. Another book has more diagrams and charts, so can possibly be understood faster.
Words of the day
- いがみ合う = to snarl at each other; to argue = 啀み合う. Sounds like 威噛み合う to me.
- 免じる = to forgive / to exempt from / to dismiss from work = 免ずる
- 閉口する = to be stumped; to be unable to bear
- 筒抜け = being overhead; secrets being leaked / going in one ear, going out another, nothing is learnt
- 木苺 = raspberry
- 練乳 = condensed milk. Also, 乳を練る.
- 売春宿 = brothel. Well, selling youth (売春).
- 熱狂 = being crazy about
- 鮮烈 = vivid = 新鮮 + 強烈
- 殊勝 = admirable
- 不肖 = unworthy. Humbly saying.
- 下賤 = lowly birth; humble origin. Also, 下賎, just Kanji variation.
- 渾沌 = chaos
- 白濁 = turbid; cloudy
- 均等 = uniform; even
- 加味 = adding seasoning
- 添加物 = a (food) additive. 添加 = including; annexing
- 遠火 = (cooking with) fire at some distance; (cooking with) distant fire
- お徳用 = good-for-value size
- 文鎮 = paper weight; a stone to keep papers not flying away
- 放蕩三昧 = being absorbed in self-indulgent pleasures. Actually, ～三昧 is just being absorbed in; so 放蕩 is loose habits.
- 一心不乱 = whole-heartedly
- 前代未聞 = unheard of
- 露にする = to lay bare; to expose
- 後手に回る = to fall behind; to be one step behind
- 可能性を秘める = to have a dormant potential for
- 手を差し伸べる = to extend a helping hand
- 痺れを切らす = to grow tired of waiting
- ホクホク = soft and fluffy food texture = 柔らかくほぐれる感じ
- 粕壁. Nowadays is 春日部.