with the level i’m at this is kind of how reading is for me anyway, so i’ll probably be alright at least 祓う i’d seen before (in the love live manga, of all places). understanding maki is gonna be the bane of my existence tho, i can already tell
Shelter in Place by Nora Roberts
On Monday, I kept reading B$ after I posted and ending up finishing chapter 3. Somehow I read that chapter over two day! O_O Which is good, because it means I’ve finally gotten closer to actually catching up.
It really helps that I’m very motivated to reach the current reading because that is finally route specific rather than main story. (Not that the main story isn’t fun, it is. But as the leader of the club, I felt comfortable being behind on that, but now that things are changing, I really feel like I need to catch up so I can do my duties properly…)
Anyway, on to yesterday, Valentine’s Day. Unfortunately for Kiro, it was a bit of an anti-valentine for him. My sweet little cat. Now, he will never be able to make a female cat pregnant. Somewhat of a bad date to have that done, huh? xD
Anyway, I ended up starting a new reread of Shelter in Place by Nora Roberts. That book just speaks to me on some levels, so I tend to reread it about once a year. And in the evening I read a bit of B$ just to be able to check the Japanese reading box. I was more interested in reading more Shelter in Place.
chapter two of 呪術廻戦0 down! for some reason i found this chapter so much easier than yesterday’s, even though there were lots of words i didn’t know. maki’s speech is getting easier to follow, but not by much. this was also a chapter of words not having the readings i was expecting, thanks to 若人 (わこうど) and 何人 (なんぴと).
words that stood out: 手中 (しゅちゅう, in one’s control) as part of the phrase 手中に収める, to take possession of, and 単独 (たんどく, solo)
edit:i love when my bluetooth keyboard has a fuzzy connection and i learn a new shortcut by accident
Read a little この本を盗む者は and played B$ like 15 minutes.
15/2 23 pages Orange (finished volume 6), 1 page おばちゃんたちのいるところ
So up to date with everything but おばちゃんたち.
The Tanuki Kotatsu Reading Den
新書太閣記 progress: 09.62% // Volume II: 10.88%
Reached the first battle I recognise: the Battle of Nagara-gawa.
In Nioh 2 this involves a giant snake boss that spits poison and tries to eat you… it doesn’t appear here
Words found under the kotatsu
落武者「おちむしゃ」ー Soldier fleeing the battlefield; deserter
曲輪「くるわ」ー District; quarter; enclosure // (also: 廓)
Character Name List
Probably some spoilers, but this is a historic novel, so can spoilers really exist for things that have (for the most part) actually happened
Volume I: 1535 - 1555
日吉「ひよし」- Hideyoshi (as child)
Nicknames: 猿「さる」/ 針売り「はりうり」
Name serving Nobunaga: 木下 藤吉郎「きのした とうきちろう」
木下弥右衛門「きのした やえもん」- Father
– – 乙若「おとわか」- Old friend (serves under 織田)
大政所「おおまんどころ」// also お奈加「おなか」ー Mother
おつみ - Older sister
小竹「こちく」- Baby brother
加藤清正「かとう きよまさ」// also 弾正「だんじょう」- Ojisan (only distantly related (before marriage))
– Married to: おえつ (sister of お奈加)
Friends & Acquaintances
仁王「におう」- Big kid friend
於福「おふく」(Nickname - full name: 福太郎「ふくたろ」) // 楊景福「ようけいふく」(Chinese name/birth name) - Timid kid friend (older than Hideyoshi)
– 五郎大夫 「ごろ だゆう」// 祥瑞「しょうずい」(Chinese name) - Father
– 梨琴「りきん」- Mother
捨次郎「すてじろう」- Previous servant to 五郎, later the adoptive father of 於福, and owner of a tea ware shop - and employer of, and master to, Hideyoshi
蜂須賀小六「はちすか ころく」(also 正勝 「まさかつ」) - Head of the Hachisuka clan
– 七内「なない」- Younger brother
– Married to 松波「まつなみ」
– – 亀一「かめいち」- Son
渡辺天蔵「わたなべ てんぞう」- Deserter - Nobushi (Nephew to Koroku)
難波内記「なんば ないき」- Spy disguised as a Komuso
仁田彦十「にった ひこじゅう」- Subordinate
(蜂須賀正利「はちすか まさとし」- previous head of the Hachisuka clan)
((questionable) Alliance with the Hachisuka clan)
斎藤 道三「さいとう どうさん」- Head of the Saito clan
– 斎藤義龍「さいとう よしたつ」(also: 高政「たかまさ」) - Son
明智 光秀「あけち みつひで」(common name: 十兵衛「じゅうべい」) - serves under Dosan
– 又市「またいち」- Underling / foot soldier
堀田 道空「ほった どうくう」- Chief retainer
弥平治光春「やへいじ みつはら」- Retainer (cousin to Jyubei)
– 明智光安「あけち みつやす」- Father
春日丹後「かすが たんご」- Military commander
織田 信長「おだ のぶなが」- Leader of the Oda clan (Married to the daughter of Saito Dosan)
– 卯月「うづき」- Nobunaga’s faithful, old horse
– 織田信秀「おだ のぶひで」- Father and previous leader of the Oda clan
– – 織田与三郎「おだ よさぶろう」- Younger brother
– – 織田信行「おだ のぶかつ」(Other name: 信成「のぶなり」) - Son (half-brother to Nobunaga (different mother))
Retainers (Under Nobuhide rule):
平手 政秀「ひらて まさひで」
– 五郎左衛門「ごろうざえもん」(nickname: 五郎左「ごろうざ」) - First son
– 監物「けんもつ」- Second son
– 甚左衛門「じんざえもん」- Third son
– 雨宮勘解由「あめみや かげゆ」- Servant
林 秀貞「はやし ひでさだ」(common name: 新五郎「しんごろ」/ nickname: 佐渡「さどう」) (served under Nobunaga too)
– 美作守「みまさかのかみ」- Younger brother
青山 信昌「あおやま のぶまさ」(common name: 与三右衛門「よそうえもん」)
内藤 勝介「ないとう しょうすけ / かつすけ」
Retainers (Under Nobunaga rule):
柴田勝家「しばた かついえ」(Nickname: 権六「ごんろく」)
市川大介「いちかわ だいすけ」- Archery master/instructor
平田三位「ひらた さんみ」- Master of military strategy
浅野又右衛門「あさの またえもん」- Military commander
– 寧子「ねね」- Daughter
がんまく - Former worker/servant, friend of Hideyoshi
斯波義統「しば よしむね」- Head of the Shiba clan, at Kiyosu castle
– 斯波義銀「しば よしかね」- Son
今川義元「いまがわ よしもと」- Daimyo
松下之綱「まつした ゆきつな」(common name: 加兵衛「かへい」)
多賀能八郎「たがのう はしろう」(nickname: 能八「のうはち」)
太郎義信「たけだ よしのぶ」- Commander
(Married to the daughter of Imagawa Yoshimoto to tie the clans)
上泉 信綱「かみいずみ のぶつな」(also: 上泉 伊勢守「かみいずみ いせのかみ」) - Founder of the 新陰流「しんかげりゅう」school of Kenjutsu
– 疋田小伯「ひきた しょうはく」- Disciple
– 神後五六郎「かんご ごろくろう」- Disciple
塚原 卜伝「つかはら ぼくでん」- Kensei; legendary swordsman
阿倍仲麻呂「あべ の なかまろ」ー Japanese scholar & poet (700s)
白楽天「はく きょい」ー Chinese poet (Bai Juyi / Bo Juyi) also known as: 白楽天「はく らくてん」in Japan. (Late 700s)
道元「どうげん」(or 道元禅師「どうげん ぜんじ」ー Japanese Buddhist Priest, writer & poet (also known as 栄西禅師「えいさい ぜんじ」) (Early / mid 1200s)
空海「くうかい」ー The one and only Kukai or Kobo Daishi - a Buddhist monk. Posthumously given the title of: 弘法大師「こうぼう だいし」born as: 佐伯 眞魚「さえき の まお」(late 700s / early 800s)
源頼政「みなもと の よりまさ」ー Prominent poet and warrior (1100s)
平 重盛「たいら の しげもり」ー Military commander and court noble, claimed to be an ancestor of Oda Nobunaga (Mid-1100s)
桓武（天皇）「かんむ（てんのう）」ー 50th Emperor of Japan, claimed to be an ancestor of Taira no Shigemori, thus ancestor to Oda Nobunaga (Mid-Late 700s)
Volume II: 1555 - 15??
織田 信長「おだ のぶなが」- Head of the Oda clan
木下 藤吉郎「きのした とうきちろう」- Hideyoshi
– 木股 権三「きまた ごんぞう」(Nickname: ごんぞ) - Servant
浅野 又右衛門「あさの またえもん」- Military commander
– 寧子「ねね」- Daughter
前田 利家「まえだ としいえ」(childhood name: 犬千代「いぬちよ」) - Military commander
斎藤 義龍「さいとう よしさつ」(also: 高政「たかまさ」) - Military commander
– 孫四郎「まごしろう」- Brother
– 喜平次「きへいじ」- Brother
– 斎藤 道三「さいとう どうさん」- Father
明智 光秀「あけち みつひで」(common name: 十兵衛「じゅうべい」) - Military Commander
明智 光安「あけち みつやす」- Military Commander and adoptive father of Jyubei
– 明智 秀満「あけち ひでみつ」- Son, and retainer to Jyubei
Feb 15, Wed of Week 8 of Winter Q1 2023
- ふしぎの国のバード Vol.3 Ch.13-14 マリーズとパークス 新潟 (end volume)
Big people conversation, and mentioning.
Words of the day
- がめつい = greedy; stingy
- おしとやか = graceful; well-mannered = 淑やか
- お転婆 = unreserved young female
- くり抜く = to gorge out = 刳り抜く = 刳り貫く. Somewhat similar to 刳る.
- 水増し = dilution / inflation (of price; amount)
- 筋違い = misplaced; unreasonable
- 禁じ手 = forbidden move; foul; underhanded move
- 濡れ衣 = false accusations. 衣 = written language for clothing; sound similar to 絹 = silk.
- 無辜 = guiltlessness. Has Furigana. 「辜」は罪の意
- 掘割 = waterway; dug canal. Has Furigana.
- 桔梗 = Chinese bellflower; dark violet color. Has Furigana. Sounds like 帰郷 = returning to hometown.
- 樅 = Japanese fir. Has Furigana.
- 針葉樹 = conifer. Forgot how to read this one, but by On readings = 方針の針 + 紅葉の葉 + 大樹の樹.
- 攘夷派 = a group that anti-foreigners. Furigana’d as terrorist. (Well, murderous samurai.)
- 厳格 = strict; rigid
- 戒律 = religious precepts
- 礼拝 = worship
- 教区 = parish
- 神通力 = divine power
- 魅了 = fascination
- 第一声 = first thing to say what first meeting someone
- 便宜 = convenience / providing facility
- 明快 = clear-cut; lucid; unequivocal
- 見本 = sample
- 内気 = shy; reserved
- 居留守 = pretending to be out (away)
- 田畑 = fields and farms = 田畑. No Furigana, anyway.
- 園芸 = horticulture; gardening
- 消去 = erasing (clearing the page). I saw this on my note taking app, for clearing the page. Deleting the page is 削除.
- 女史 = lady. In this case 史 means a writer of recordings (that would become history).
- 巨万の富 = great wealth
- 臨機応変 = adaptation to the circumstances; ad hoc
- マリーンズ = チャールズ・マリーズ = Charles Maries = an English botanist and plant collector who was sent by James Veitch & Sons of Chelsea, London to search for new hardy plants in Japan, China and Taiwan between 1877 and 1879.
- パークス = サー・ハリー・パークス = Sir Harry Smith Parkes = a British diplomat who served as Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary and Consul General of the United Kingdom to the Empire of Japan from 1865 to 1883.
- ヘボン = ジェームズ・カーチス・ヘボン = James Curtis Hepburn = an American physician, translator, educator, and lay Christian missionary. He is known for a romanization system for transliteration of the Japanese language into the Latin alphabet.
Well, just like JoJo, there are guesses; but probably more regarding Kanji substitutions.
There was a book club for Vol 0.
Day 45: February 14th
からかい上手の(元)高木さん Volume 11 (31% ➨ 38%)
It’s nice having something with short chapters so I can avoid a “didn’t have time to read anything” day.
Card Captor Sakura volume 9 – progress report
Yesterday: Continued up to page 84.
Today: Finished chapter 36, read up to page 118.
Felt like I was reading at high-speed today but I suppose that this feeling just stems from me taking so much more time when reading Aria.
Word or expression of the day:
見失う - (みうしなう) - to lose sight of, to miss
突然 - (とつぜん) - abrupt, sudden, unexpected
Day 46, 15th of February
In today’s page, the two traveling soldiers retreat to their room. Phrases to remember, because there’s a non-zero chance they’ll be uttered in some shonen anime later:
- もしかして… could it be…?
For the last sentence I read an article about the conditional ば. So if they go, they’ll know (if the big bad wolf has the princess).
i didn’t know that! i’ll check out the thread
February 15th (Day 46)
1Q84 Book 1 前編 (66 - 69% hehehe)
Feeling exhausted, so only a tiny read for the day.
Home post // Feb 15
・薬屋のひとりごと３ (50% → 53%)
Fell asleep almost forgot to post
I’m over it now. But jujutsu kaisen is one of those manga/anime I needed to grow a lot to not just enjoy but endure.
I started reading the fifth volume of Tsugumomo and read more Kindaichi Shounen. The writer of Kindaichi likes to create a situation with Kindaichi ending up in a isolated place where a murder happens. This time it’s in a mountain village in Hokkaido with a blizzard preventing people from entering or leaving said place.
3357 pages read
Today I finished reading chapter 54, and also read chapter 55 of Shadows House.
just one more chapter to read tomorrow and I’ll be properly caught up with the club.
２月１５日 (Home Post Link)
I spent most of the day fighting poorly designed computer systems (seriously, one of these sites deleted a file off my desktop when I tried to upload it? like ???) to apply for some jobs, so lacked the mental energy to focus on reading too much today. Fortunately, 三ツ星カラーズ is actually kind of relaxing to read even in japanese. 癒し系 having its intended effect
- 三ツ星カラーズ ch 13
Word of the Day:
降臨「こうりん」ー descent to earth (especially of a god); advent; epiphany
Something I really appreciate about 夜短し is how full each chunk of a chapter feels. I never feel like any one bit is uneventful. So if I only have enough time for one chunk of reading, I feel like I still got a lot out of my time reading it. I really appreciate it and am so grateful I can finally read it in Japanese.
What did I read?: 魔女と猫の話
How much did I read?: 7 pages
(Continued 4th Story )
How long did it take me?: 1 h 30 m
February 15 Home Post
Played some more BU$TAFELLOWS today! It was again kind of a busy and sleepy day so not the most reading time, but oh was it an experience nonetheless