šŸ“ššŸ“š Read every day challenge - Winter 2022 ā˜ƒā„

Summary post

Winter Challenge: Final Thoughts

Would you look at the time, itā€™s already half-past Marchā€¦and I still havenā€™t done that summary post I was going to do. Whoops (Carrying on my tradition of late summary posts, I guess haha)

What did I accomplish this challenge?
Well, I read every day - thatā€™s one thing I did xD Not that much else, I feel, but Iā€™m not mad about that.
Letā€™s take a look at the numbers:

• Finished 5 manga volumes (+ finished up a 6th manga volume that I had previously started), totaling 765 pages. Aaaand I just realized that I still didnā€™t finish å›€ć‚‹é³„ćÆē¾½ć°ćŸć‹ćŖ恄 Vol 1, but I did read quite a bit of that also xD
  • Read 100.5 pages in the daily books
  • Spent a total of 53 hours reading - thatā€™s about the same as what I spent in the Fall Challenge, so Iā€™m pleased with that. About half of that was daily books, half other stuff. I read something in addition to the daily books on 51/59 days.

I realized as I was summing all this up that I did make significant progress in my reading speed with these daily books, though :o I went from spending ~45 min a day (sometimes closer to an hour) on those at the beginning of the challenge to ~20 min a day near the end - thatā€™s pretty awesome, actually, Iā€™m very happy about that.

Historically, this time of year is the literal worst but I actually didnā€™t find it as hard to keep reading every day as I thought I would. I also didnā€™t get too burned out writing posts, which I thought would happen. ā€¦One could argue that my time spent writing posts might have been better spent doing the actual reading but I like writing the posts haha, I love to share what I love :stuck_out_tongue: I love showing people stuff, and I love to see other people enjoy the things I love. How many times can I say the word ā€œloveā€ :rofl: ā€¦I am essentially the little kid being like ā€œyou guys, look at this!!ā€ constantly :rofl: Thank you for letting me (over)share and liking my incredibly long and illustrated posts xD

What have I been doing since the challenge ended?

Wellā€¦not reading, Iā€™ll tell you that :joy:

This got long - and bit tangential/philosophical toward the end

I went to a k-pop concert the day after the challenge ended and Iā€™ve been rapidly devolving into some kind of Oneus-obsessed gremlin ever since - thatā€™s it, thatā€™s my excuse for this late post lmao, Iā€™m so very distracted :sweat_smile: It was the best time ever though, wrote about it in the k-pop thread if anyone really wants to read my fan ramblings lol. Then I learned about some k-pop related things I probably should not have learned about but too late now, here we are with a new thing to spend money on

Anyway, I havenā€™t even been keeping up with my daily booksā€¦like at all :sweat_smile: Does anyone else ever feel like they need to just let everything completely go for a while after staying ā€œon trackā€ for some time? Like, arenā€™t habits supposed to be easier to keep up the longer you do them, not harder? I feel like it doesnā€™t really work that way for me sometimes. Itā€™s more like carrying a heavy burden that I want to set down (and then, once I set it down, I have trouble motivating myself to pick it back up because I know what it weighs). Likeā€¦what is that, brain. Whatā€™s that about.

Anyway, Iā€™m not too bothered about it, though. I think someone (I canā€™t remember who, maybe multiple people ><) in the last challenge said that, you know, the challenge is only a commitment for that period of time. You didnā€™t say youā€™d read every day for the rest of your life, you just said youā€™d read every day for those months. And I did that, so I fulfilled my goal. Iā€™m satisfied with that.

Sometimes I get caught up in those thoughts of, well, you could be doing more when it comes toā€¦well, everything, but Japanese too. But I feel like Iā€™m really beginning to understand that just because I could theoretically be doing something more doesnā€™t mean Iā€™m obligated to do it if itā€™s not what I want to be doing more. I can choose to not care about one thing or do less or do some things vs. other things. What I do with my time is my choice. ā€¦This might sound very common-sense to people, idk, but itā€™s a shift for me; Iā€™ve always had this feeling of wanting/having to do the most or the maximum with whatever Iā€™m doing, and if Iā€™m not doing that ā€œmost,ā€ Iā€™mā€¦wasting something? Myself? The chance? That time? ā€œDoing it wrong.ā€ Which is sometimes not the worst thing to feel, but for this situation it doesnā€™t really make sense or apply - after all, this is just supposed to be fun for me (itā€™s a hobby, not something I need to do), and if Iā€™m pressuring myself to engage beyond whatā€™s enjoyable for me, what am I even doing? Whatā€™s the point of fun thatā€™s not very fun? Going to this k-pop concert actually brought me this realization LMAO, likeā€¦forget about what you ā€œshouldā€ be doing to ā€œmaximizeā€ or ā€œmake the mostā€ or ā€œdo it rightā€ according to someone elseā€™s definition, make it fun for you and what you want or need. Donā€™t ā€œperformā€ at the expense of actually having fun. Enjoy the experience without worrying what the ā€œresultsā€ afterward will look like to someone elseā€™s eyes. ā€¦Iā€™m getting way too deep about this but honestly though, this whole live the moment, love the ride thing was likeā€¦:sparkles: brand new to me and I want to try and keep this thought with me - thereā€™s not one way to have a good experience and not one way to make your time/actions worthwhile

Anyway, that was a ramble and a half
tl;dr Iā€™m not reading, but Iā€™m fine with that for now. Will be all rested up and rejuvenated for the next one :slight_smile:

24 Likes