📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

:spiral_calendar: Day 24: July 24th :diving_mask: :shark:

🪄 まじっく快斗 Volume 1 (22% ➨ 36%)

I started this series a while back because it’s an earlier series by the mangaka of Detective Conan. The art style, writing style, character personalities, and scene development are definitely similar to Conan while being a different genre.

However, because my knowledge of the cast of Kaitou Kid is from appearances I’ve read in Detective Conan (based on reading the English release), I don’t have a strong connection to push me to keep reading. Thus, it’s easy for this series to be forgotten as I keep moving through volume after volume of Conan.

It probably also doesn’t help that I’ve never read this series in English (is there even an official English release?), so I’m relying purely on my own ability with Japanese to understand everything.

I last left off a few pages into chapter two, where it seems there’s a princess of a European country with an expensive jewel, which an accompanying famous French police officer hopes to use to lure Kaitou Kid.

You can tell he’s impressive because even his laughter shows up in photographs.

The art style clearly shows that this is an earlier work. I’m curious if it improved over the series’s five-volume run. Although Detective Conan’s art style was refined a bit during its first year (1994-1995), it was already much improved over where Kaito started.

image image

After the many months of seeing (あらわ)れる in Sailormoon before I finally properly remembered the reading and the meaning, I keep starting to misread this (あら)われる as あらわわれる, which is instantly followed by “that isn’t right” feeling each time.

Even though I’m mid-case at the end of the last volume of Detective Conan (maybe one chapter left), I’m aiming to finish up this first volume of Kaito before buying the next volume of Conan. But if I do a purchase of anything else before then, I’m grabbing the next volume of Conan at the same time.

spacer:cat2: おじさまと猫 Volume 6 (90% ➨ 100%)

spacer:ribbon: ふだつきのキョーコちゃん Volume 4 (58% ➨100%)

Thread Comments

I’m facing similar due to certain reasons. The ones here are small (like fruit flies), so I put out some small jars with about half an inch of apple cider vinegar and a drop of liquid dish soap, and each day about 20 or so little flies suicide themselves into each.

Seem to be infectious. From my reading today…

21 Likes