📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

I’d like to join in again, but this time I won’t use a calendar for my reading. I started “read something in Japanese every day” as a personal challenge in February 2021 and after a year and a half the habit is firmly established even if I miss a day sometimes.

Aside from continuing to read, my big goal is to finish all the lessons in the So-Matome N1 grammar book by the end of July. It’s hard to make myself do it, but whenever I do push through and study, I see immediate payoffs in my reading comprehension. I’m currently somewhere in the “intermediate plateau” where it’s hard to see perceptible differences, so seeing the instant impact of a few grammar lessons is really rewarding and motivating. There isn’t much left in the book, I just gotta get it done.

文法
04 05 06
01 02 03 04 05 06
Currently reading

暁のヨナ vol. 14 (manga)
怪盗紳士 アルセーヌ・ルパン (Lupin stories)
岩元先輩ノ推薦 vol 2 (manga)
本好き vol 2 (Junior version)

On the shelf

暁のヨナ manga (up to vol 29 lol)
SPY x FAMILY manga (vol 2 and 3)
彩雲国物語 light novel (up to vol 14)
plus assorted other, but this is what I’m most interested in now

I’ve really wanted to read the Saiunkoku Monogatari books for a long time, because the light novels continue on after the anime series ended. But every time I tried reading a sample, the difficulty level (kanji, grammar) was above my “nope” threshold. I think I’ve finally reached the point where I have enough of a grasp of general Japanese to try this. There’s still clearly a lot in these books that I don’t know, but I feel like what’s left is story-specific enough that using other material as graded reading won’t help, and it’s time to just dive in. I already know the parts of the story covered in these first two volumes so no matter how hard it is I won’t be totally lost. But I bet I’ll want to take a break after volume 1.

Finished

ナミヤ雑貨店の軌跡 (novel)
東京タラレバ娘 (manga) vol 1, 2
暁のヨナ (manga) vol 10, 11, 12, 13
薬屋のひとりごと manga vol. 1
天使なんかじゃない manga vol. 1
彩雲国物語 light novel vol. 1
ガリガリ君ができるまで (children’s book about making ice cream)
バンギャルの日常 (manga / comic essay)
夢から醒めた夢 (short children’s book)
鹿の王 vol. 1 (Tsubasa Bunko version)
岩元先輩ノ推薦 vol 1 (manga)
彩雲国物語 light novel vol. 2
本好き vol 1 (Junior version)
鹿の王 vol. 2 (Tsubasa Bunko version)

Natively profile