📚📚 Read every day challenge - Spring 2023 🌸🌷🌼

Summary post

Longgg update incoming :joy:

Day 22: April 22nd
What did I read?: ペンギン・ハイウェイ :penguin:
How much did I read?: 13 pages
How long did it take me?: 37 min

Day 23: April 23rd
Missed, dang it :upside_down_face: Things I did instead include repotting two of my plants, watering all of my plants (which is like 30 plants, for those who don’t know :joy:), and four loads of laundry (including the clothes I bought online a month ago but didn’t unpack/try on until yesterday). Ngl, I’ve been kind of crushing it in the “doing things I’ve been putting off” department the past couple days. If I had like one more day off, I’d be able to fully clean my apartment too :weary: Should I have prioritized that? Maybe, but I’m taking the position that all of these things needed to be done at some point so anything done is good :joy:

Day 24: April 24th
How much did I read?: 10 pages
How long did it take me?: 34 min

Day 25: April 25th
How much did I read?: 10 pages
How long did it take me?: 40 min

Day 26: April 26th
How much did I read?: 18 pages
How long did it take me?: 51 min

Day 27: April 27th
Missed because I had the literal worst day at work

Day 28: April 28th
How much did I read?: 4 pages
How long did it take me?: 12 min

Day 29: April 29th
How much did I read?: 27 pages
How long did it take me?: 1 hour 26 min

Omg, I finally finished Penguin Highway :tada:

I have some thoughts (mostly spoiler-free, the spoilery parts are further hidden)

I have to say I’m sort of just…relieved it’s over, I feel like this book was so laggy - if my reading speed were any slower, I would have given up before I reached the end, I think. As it was, I feel like I started skim-reading more toward the end (to the extent that I can do that) because I just wanted to get to the end already. The climax was fairly interesting (and involved a lot of penguins :smiley:) but I was kind of left with the feeling of…having expected more, for such a long journey to get there. I don’t know. The “big reveal” of Onee-san not being human didn’t feel that dramatic because like…yes? we’ve known something is weird about her for like 300 pages now? And we don’t really get any answers beyond that - like, what was she? Why was she there? I feel like I expected something more to be revealed that would tie things all together, and “Onee-san isn’t human” was not enough to do that for me. It just felt like something I already knew.

I don’t know, I’m kind of surprised I didn’t like it more. But I think part of the problem was that I came in expecting something more dramatic and/or plot-driven and this was not that. Like, half the book was not dealing with the supernatural stuff much at all, and the supernatural elements were sitting around in the background of the story for so long that it all began to feel a bit mundane. I expected more to happen, with a premise of “random penguins show up in town.” I do think I would have liked it more if it were so darn long and drawn out, I can definitely see myself liking this better as a movie.

Here’s something neat, though - when I started this book, my average reading speed was ~0.14 pages/min (so ~7 minutes per page). Looking at the last few reading sessions, my average reading speed has been ~0.31 pages/min (so ~3 minutes per page). That’s like…double the reading speed :exploding_head: Hopefully I did that math correctly I hope this is actually a sign of me getting faster and not just a sign of me getting familiar with the book’s language and wanting to skim toward the end :upside_down_face:

Pagoda :pleading_face: Oh my goodness I love him :pleading_face:

22 Likes