📚📚 Read every day challenge - Spring 2023 🌸🌷🌼

:cherry_blossom: :books: taiyousea’s 花見読 home thread :bubble_tea::open_book:
nativelystudy log

April 2nd:
:bookmark: 君の名は『まんが』 (Ch. 1 completed - 53 pages)
:bookmark: ナルト (Ch. 2 completed - 23 pages)

i stumbled into the manga version of 君の名は despite not having seen the movie in a few years. i was surprised by how clean the illustrations were and how accessibly easy the dialogue was - i can definitely see the ABBC reading this one in the future, i think it’s the perfect level and clarity for newer readers.

spoilers

it’s also extremely hilarious how long the prelude goes on before you understand that they’re switching bodies, because all you hear about is mitsuha’s great dream where she got to be a hot boy in tokyo and then she goes on and on repeating throughout the first chapter how she wishes she could be a boy again lmaooo :rainbow_flag:

the second chapter of naruto is the konohamaru moment, which is my least favorite episode ever!!, so the story was a snooze-fest for me today. but I’m honestly in awe at how many more setting details are revealed by the art - in the anime, it’s really hard to get a grasp of the size of cities or the extent of forest environments because the animation is character-centric, so it’s such a joy to see all of the tiny little details in the main village ( ´ ▿ ` )

I’m not far enough in that i can say this across the board yet, but the characters definitely are much more richly developed, like, their personalities are far more dynamic imo? and this has nothing to do with it being in japanese lol but kishimoto has definitely shocked me with how closely he pays attention to drawing movement and expressions, it’s like getting to meet everyone for the first time all over again

some faces i liked

Screen Shot 2023-04-02 at 7.31.32 PM

vs. the other manga i read today

like, don’t get me wrong, i love both of these with all my heart and soul!! but Kishimoto absolutely has a way with dynamic faces/movement that is blowing me away today

27 Likes