📚📚 Read every day challenge - Spring 2022 🌸 🌱

4月14-18日
Calendar

On Saturday I wasn’t really in the mood for reading and there were many things going on before Easter, so I took a break. And I’m back, however from now on I might read less daily than before, as I have uni’s assigments which I really want to be done this month. :sweat_smile:
In the meanwhile I’ve read about 10% of 博士の愛した数式, and overall I’m still absorbed in the story and like its warmth.

Spoiler-filled thoughts

I love the bond that’s created between the 博士 and ルート. It surprised me at the beginning of the book, even when the 博士 only got to knew the existence of ルート and scolded his mother for leaving him at home alone while she’s at work - but then I began to like the direction of their relationship. In the parts when ルート cut himself and then at the clinic I couldn’t help but feel for 博士.
However, the very recent parts - especially the one with baseball cards found by the housekeeper - were quite slow-paced in comparison to those in my last posts (I suppose more exciting events are yet to come).

博士のvocab

図書館司書 - librarian
長方形 - rectangle
目を付ける - to have an eye on; to zero in on
重ねる - to pile up; to put on top of another
重なり合う - to lie on top of each other; to overlap

For a little change I started 「失はれる物語」 by 乙一 - it contains a few short stories so I thought it would be easy to split over time. I managed to read only about 3 pages so far.

Thoughts

The theme of the first part isn’t really my piece of cake, so story-wise it didn’t grab my attention right away. However, I’m very surprised by the easiness of the language (I wonder if it’s only for the first story though…) - thanks to that, even if there are unknown words, I can follow the narrative without looking them up in the dictionary. :astonished:Because of that I think I will continue the book.

失はれるvocab

腫れ物に触るように - with great caution; gingerly
特異な - unique; peculiar
積み重なる - to pile up; to stack up
社交辞令 - something said for politeness’ sake; empty compliment
咄嗟に(とっさに)- at once; right away; promptly
曖昧な - vague; ambiguous
見透かす(みすかす) - to see through; to see the true nature of something
身構える - to put oneself on guard; to stand ready
着信 - receiving a phone call

29 Likes