📚📚 Read every day challenge - Spring 2022 🌸 🌱

April 6, Wed :cherry_blossom: home post

I haven’t really read much the past few days. Falling (堕落) to programming loophole is pretty much a curse, and I am not really a programmer as a career. In particular, fixing IME2Furigana and my Japanese blog’s parser (like bracket matcher and imitating Discourse’s syntax).

Nonetheless, I actually did something,

Vocabularies of note
  • スケコマシ - lady-killer
  • 女たらし - womanizer
    • (たら)す appears to mean “to seduce”.
  • シャボン - distantly related to soap, and perhaps also saponification.
    • I just have to remember the word. Just a non-English loanword. (Another one I learnt a while ago is サボテン.)
  • 酸欠(さんけつ)
    • Abbreviation of 酸素(oxygen)欠乏(shortage).
  • 足でまとい - hindrance, drag
    • I tried to breakdown vocabulary by my sense, and noticed まとい and thought で is a particle. It appears to be 足手まと()い, though.
  • のみならず - seems to be のみ + not 成り
  • 奥義(おうぎ) - hidden technique. (although it is not really 術)
  • 気絶(きぜつ) - I saw this many times, but didn’t remember it yet.
  • ()()る - to be taken aback.
    • The Kanji 仰 doesn’t really have this reading.
  • ザル() - this one appears to be a leaky basket of bamboo.
  • (たくみ) (comparing with (たく)み)
    • This one is not particularly a difficult word, but JE (Jisho, Wiktionary) seems to tell more than JJ (Digital Daijisen).
    • I can say that I don’t like it when people says I should use monolingual as an ultimate reference. I like referring to monolingual as Digital Daijisen, or Daijirin, or whatever the proper name of it instead. If you don’t count https://www.google.jp, for example, it doesn’t necessarily tell more than Wiktionary (which can be better than Jisho / JMdict).
      • Of course, a part of it is that I don’t understand reading Japanese enough. But, hearing people saying that, is just a boast of their skills.

Dictionaries of help

Right now, I like Aedict3 the most, as it gives an easy way to browse links to Goo and ALC (but for some reasons, Weblio isn’t there). Akebi is better for making Anki flashcards with a chosen form (with or without Kanji) with exported pitch accent, (and in Takoboto’s template as well).

• As I actually stopped doing Anki / AnkiDroid for a while, Anki became more of a place for personal, editable dictionary, with recent history.
  • As I used to create cards with Takoboto, I can push old Anki card’s history up, by starring / unstarring in Takoboto, and send to AnkiDroid.

On a side note, I also saw 多読/extensive reading challenge, but right here seems to be a better place for blogging. Also, one thread per (temparate zone) seasons, 4 per year, is better for tracking.

I may have written too much as a late beginner, but not yet a intermediate. Maybe the next day I will write a lot less, as I have become much less excited.

28 Likes