📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall/Autumn 2021 🍁🍂🦝

月9 日21 ・ Another four pages! After the first page I wanted to stop, but convinced myself to at least read one more page. Then instead I read three, because I kept thinking, hmmm what happens next? I’m so excited that’s starting to happen from time to time!

And then in the afternoon I read a story from 10分で読める物語1年生, which I am rereading in order to keep a 読書ノート as they explain how to do in the back of the book. So I also wrote my thoughts on the story in Japanese.

Anki deck down to 758.

All in all a great day for studying!

月9 日22 ・ Read two pages. Nothing to write home about really.
Anki deck: 754 (although I did a lot more than 4 flashcards!)

:house_with_garden:

16 Likes

Summary Post

September 22nd
Satori Reader: Secret, episode 47.

Random words
  • 理系 = りけい science (subjects regarding science).
  • 文系 = ぶんけい humanities, social sciences and fine arts; liberal arts (as opposed to 理系).
  • 社会人 = しゃかいじん working adult, full-fledged member of society.

16 Likes

Dear Tanuki Cuteness Brigade,

I was looking up こぐまのケーキ屋さん when I happened across … … … クマとたぬき!

I’ve pretty much only seen the cover and I’m already done for.

:heart: :raccoon:

16 Likes

Summary post

Day 22: September 22
What did I read?: 夜は猫といっしょ Vol 1
How much did I read?: 43 pages
How long did it take me?: 23 min

re: work - dying a slow and painful death
Re: cat - still cute :3

遊びのお誘い

Look at this little cat puddle

They tried to give the cat a bath and it went about how you would expect

Good words:
嗅ぐ (かぐ) - to sniff; to smell
波打つ (なみうつ) - to wave (e.g. in the wind); to heave; to pound (of a heart); to undulate (can also mean to dash against (of waves); to billow; to roll)
びんた - slap in the face; slap on the cheek
バレバレ - (of a lie, etc.) obvious; transparent​
舞い上がる (まいあがる) - to soar; to fly high; to be whirled up (can also mean to make merry; to be ecstatic; to be in high spirits)

Lol I’m slowly turning the thread into a book club for cute manga…this pleases me :smiling_imp:
I ordered the second volume of the tanuki manga, it should be here tomorrow :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

:pleading_face: :pleading_face: :pleading_face:
What the heck, this is so cute, why is it so cute :sob:
slams the buy button

17 Likes

I welcome this development! I never understood the appeal of kawaii when I was a teenager but the older I’ve got, the more soothing it becomes. On my desk at work I have half a dozen Sylvanian families figures, an Aggretsuko plushie and a polaroid of me meeting Hello Kitty, and some times I have to summon their full cuteness before I reply to a particularly vexing email.

I’m in the office today and managed to read in the park before work again. Finally saw 左右 in the wild, after never really being quite sure how it would be used because there’s no real equivalent word in English.

12 Likes

Home post

September 23rd - today was a bit weirder, I had previously typed out the first chapter for a new manga I want to start (王様ランキング) - today I went through the rest of those typed lines to find all the kana words I didn’t know to eventually add to Anki, I’d previously gone through for Kanji words.

In doing this I did work through many sentences and fragments, although I haven’t done any formal breakdowns yet - I’m pleasantly surprised how much I was able to follow.

So far over the first 20 pages of this book I’ve collected 148 kanji or kana words / grammar points, of which 83 have made their way into anki already - the rest are in a spreadsheet waiting their turn.

It’s now after midnight and I’m way too tired to do any more reading.

EDIT: oh and today something arrived in the mail, I blame/thank @Aislin (Context and more context)

18 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :raccoon: :full_moon: ::: TANUKIDATE: 20210923 ::: :full_moon: :raccoon: :fallen_leaf:

Day XXIII: エンコウ :durtle:

Almost forgot to read today, I was gonna read today’s “百物語” but then saw the picture of this guy:
Durkle

…and this amuses me greatly, so I read this one instead.

Don’t think I’ve seen this kanji before: 淵 (ふち) :: abyss, edge, deep pool, the depths.
That is one cool looking kanji.

How to describe a kappa: ぬめぬめ (滑々) - wet and glistening; slimy; slippery​

You have done a great service to the Tanuki Cuteness Brigade :raccoon:
So gonna look into this!!

20 Likes

Home post

Day 22:

日本語: I read a lot of はめふら 10 (passed halfway mark).
Read-aloud: We read a chapter and a half of 7SEEDS.

中国語

中国語: I read 雨季.

16 Likes

My tiny summary post

September 23 Another tiny read:
・Honzuki 6. (25% → 26%)

It doesn’t really feel like much progress, but an average of one percent each weekday is five percent in a week, and I probably read much more in the weekends, so reading even a tiny bit every day definitely adds up :books::books:

re: studies - same :skull_and_crossbones:

x3

15 Likes

50 more pages of the クドわふた manga I will probably finish it tomorrow.

I would prefer reading my books but playing a videogame in japanese right now is tiring me out. Once I finish the game I will have much more energy for japanese reading I promise.

16 Likes

:house_with_garden: home post

:heavy_check_mark: Day 14 (9月 22日) :sparkles:

What did I read:
新完全マスタ読解, 2 medium-length passages (~20min)
暁のヨナ, read again in order to write down the unknown vocab, filled the document for bookclub!
:heavy_check_mark: Day 15 (9月 23日) :sparkles:
歴史366, 3 stories, ~20min

16 Likes

I can relate to this so much :sob: this is the same book I’m using right now, I only finished the first section (comparison) so far, but the passages are written in such eloquent and sophisticated writing styles or have such confusing words, I spend a solid five minutes just staring at it before I mentally prepare myself to face it,lol

12 Likes

Hello everybody!

I have a question and I hope somebody can help me! :sweat:
Im looking for a homepage where you can choose your Japanese level and then they will give you some examples of books for your Japanese level. I really cant remember what the homepage was called. I think you also could choose the genre. :face_with_monocle:

I really hope somebody can help me! :pray:

Thank you so much!

5 Likes

Welcome to the forums @Laharp !

You might be thinking of these websites
https://learnnatively.com/
https://jpdb.io/light-novel-difficulty-list
https://japaneselevelup.com/difficulty-level-guide-everything-japanese
https://wakarukana.com/index
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ukDIWSkh_xvpppPbgs1nUR2kaEwFaWlsJgZUlb9LuTs/edit#gid=1357228088

If you aren’t already aware, the Wanikani forums have user organised book clubs at different levels where users vote on books and then read them together helping each other with vocabulary and grammar.

You can find a list of these book clubs here

For example the absolute beginner book club can be found here

You can also look over the threads for past book clubs which are a gold mine of material, and if you ask a question by posting in them you are still very likely to get a response.

15 Likes

Summary post

Day 23: September 23
What did I read?: 夜は猫といっしょ Vol 1
How much did I read?: 7 pages - finished the volume
How long did it take me?: 9 min

Another “check the box” kinda day. :pensive: At least the “slow and painful death” portion of the project is mostly over. (I mean there’s still a whole other part to the project that probably contains a similar “slow and painful death” portion, but that’s not something we’re gonna think about right now).

I’m missing ハイ☆スピード! a lot right now, you guys :cry: I was thinking about them today, it feels like it’s been so long. As soon as this crunch time is over, I’m digging right back in, I’m really looking forward to spending some more time with my swimming children <3

But in the meantime - at least cat is cute xD
Today I learned what kind of cat キュルガ is: a 足長マンチカン - long-legged munchkin! Which is apparently a thing lol, I would’ve thought a long-legged munchkin cat would just be…a cat xD But apparently like 80% of munchkin cats are actually long-legged. Who knew :woman_shrugging:

Also got some choice sequences in this last chapter:

Cat creepin'

Cat butt (that last panel xD)

Good words:
登場人物 (とうじょうじんぶつ) - character (in a play or novel); dramatis personae
社会人 (しゃかいじん) - working adult; full-fledged member of society

20 Likes

Day 23 :bookmark:今日の日本の本: 文プロ 教訓2 (誰かが友達に家の中を案内しています。)

There was a few kanji that I’m seeing alot lately so Imma definitely start to remember them now and I’m happy to say besides that it was all smooth sailing!(¯▿¯)

18 Likes

Thank you so much for your fast reply!

Natively was the page I was looking for! :partying_face:

I will check out the book clubs! Thanks again! :grin:

4 Likes

Glad I could help =D

Learnnatively is the one I use the most by far, it’s made by a user on the WK forums.

I really cannot recommend the book clubs enough! I kept putting off reading, but now that I’ve started I am so glad as it has made such a huge difference to my Japanese.

7 Likes

Summary post

Day 23: Read another 2 pages of よつば&!

16 Likes

:flushed: I hope you’ll like it!

You’re scaring me :open_mouth: When I was doing the N3 version I was actually pleasantly surprised that texts felt much easier than what I’m reading for pleasure - mostly that I didn’t need to use dictionary, which was a good thing since that were supposed to be, well, exam texts :stuck_out_tongue: And well, grammar felt straightforward, and they were so short and friendly.
Now I’m worried how big the gap to the N2 level will be. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes