📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall/Autumn 2021 🍁🍂🦝

I’ve been a little forgetful in posting updates here cause of life. I’ve been keeping up reading consistently since the day I posted. I’m reading through a graded reader on tadoku each day. Didn’t end up getting around to crystal hunters yet, but this weekend, for sure. As I’ve got a bit less life intensity clamouring for my attention.

14 Likes

I relate to this so much rn. Good job checking that box! I hope things work out for you with your deadline. May there be happy :raccoon: in your future.

I read this week’s 小川未明 story, my favorite so far, and a couple pages of リゼロ

Finished week 5 of 人間失格, the last few pages of キノの旅 (which was a re-read), and read a couple more pages of リゼロ. Eventually I’ll finish it. :upside_down_face:

17 Likes

:house_with_garden: home post

:heavy_check_mark: Day 12 (9月 20日) :sparkles:

What did I read:
上級への扉 , dialogue texts, during my lesson. no unknown words this time around either, wow
歴史366 , just one story because I was :sleeping: :sleeping:

Honestly, this was also a very much “do it for the strike, tick the box” day for me as well… If it weren’t for the lesson and the one story, I probably would have missed this day… I was exhausted tbh :pensive:

17 Likes

20 for yesterday ( I also just started yesterday so that was my first day )

I read 元気 1 the education book pg.56 at the flea market かいもの!!! I didn’t understand a few word (40 %) but I could get a general sense of what was happening. Girl dropped her wallet and all smh

Sept
01 02 03 04 05
06 07 08 09 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Oct
01 02 03
04 05 06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
16 Likes

Home post - September 21st today I read a few pages of チーズスイートホーム (1) from chapter 9, although only 1 of them required much work.

16 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :raccoon: . :full_moon::TANUKIDATE: 20210921: :full_moon:. :raccoon: :fallen_leaf:

Day XXI: !!お月見 !! :full_moon:

Since today is Otsukimi I thought I’d read about it.

I would super love to be able to go to a moon viewing some day. Sounds beautiful! as well as dem delicious dango.

I found this really cool article explaining the meanings and origins, plus there’s a cute little rabbit friend to accompany you and tell you all about it. :rabbit2:

“昔ながらで楽しむなら!お団子を食べる”
Oh yeah, now we are talking.

(Incidentally, I don’t think I’ve seen dango written in kanji before so now I know Now we know)

OH NO

This is bad. Very bad. There’s a LINK to BUY the DUMPLING??
Clicking on the Amazon link and it’s even LESS at ¥1,544… this is dangerous…

Ah no, there’s another one

So… hungry…

There’s a third advert now :sob: :sob: :sob:

Wait a minute… now they’re advertising little ornaments that are kinda cute have I been baited into a commercial trap??

“ほのかな檜(ヒノキ)の香りで心落ち着く。お月見飾りセット”

Hmm hmm, you’re quite right… perhaps I do need a stand to display that mountain of delicious delicious dumpling.

参考価格:27,500円 :scream: :scream: :scream:

And I need chopsticks too? Okay, if I must

お箸は、十五夜が終わった後も毎日使えるから嬉しいね!
Yes, you raise a good point ウサギちゃん, I can reuse those chopsticks…

こちらでは、ぐい呑みやペアグラスをご紹介します。
Oh deary deary me, have you not tempted me enough? Now we are bringing in the sake?! :sob: :sob:

This was an interesting article and I feel I have learned more about the moon viewing, but… now I am positively hungry and financially conflicted.

Conclusion: I need to go to a moon viewing.

18 Likes

Home post

Day 20:

日本語: I read a fair amount of パノラマ島綺譚 and a lot of はめふら 10.

中国語

中国語: I read 买衣服.

14 Likes

Summary post

I’ve been catastrophically bad at updating in this thread but I’ve been enjoying reading every else’s updates :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I was off work last week which was lovely but now I’m back and it’s back to being super stressful and I’m already exhausted, bleh.

But anyway - on sunday I finished reading ハリーポッタ賢者の石 so I officially finished reading my first novel in Japanese :tada: :tada: :tada:! I mean, because it’s a translation of something I’ve read before in English it definitely let me away with some laziness sometimes but it’s still pretty cool. That said, I’m not sure what I want to read next novel-wise! I’m almost sad because by the last quarter of HP I had picked up enough of the writing style and vocab that it was a really nice easy read and now I need to go back to the start haha. I still need to finish NO.6 but it really is above my reading level just now I think so I would like to find something else that’s on the easier side. If anyone else has some good recommendations for beginner friendly novels to read in Japanese please let me know! :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Summary post

September 21
・Read Honzuki 6. (21% → 24%)

Vocab

Note: some words may have more meanings, but these were the ones that appeared in the book

処分(しょぶん)・punishment
降格(こうかく)・demotion

(るい)・harmful effect, trouble
監禁(かんきん)・confinement

矢継(やつ)(ばやい)・rapid succession (e.g. questions)
燭台(しょくだい)・candlestick, candlestand
神経衰弱(しんけいすいじゃく)・concentration (card game involving turning over face-down cards to find identical pairs)

Hold up, it has been three weeks already?! o: o: o: How did this happen

16 Likes

Main post

Sept 19 - I read a few pages of 僕らの天使ゲーム
Sept 20 - I didn’t read anything (my streak :cry:). I had homework to do for the next day and I had to prioritise that over reading Japanese. It’s okay though, especially since I really like what I’m studying now. Changing university and major has been so scary (it still is) but I have never been surrounded by people with similar interests as mine before (everyone speaks Chinese, Japanese or Korean and we all love learning languages) and it’s really fun. We celebrated the mid-automn festival at uni today. Speaking of which…

Despite celebrating it today, I completely forgot to go see the moon tonight. :laughing: I was about to post my progress here but I always read the last posts before and thanks to yours, I remembered about the moon and went outside to see it!! :full_moon:
Sept 21 - I read a few pages of 僕らの天使ゲーム (I’m now at page 127/354)

Vocab (I don't have time for furigana but I might add them later ^^)

園児 : kindergarten pupil
引き抜き : recruitment; scouting
不動産屋 : real estate agent
成り立つ : to be viable (of a business, lifestyle, etc.)
根負け : running out of patience
立ち退き : eviction
茶飯事 : commonly occurring thing; commonplace event; bread and butter item
しょっちゅう : always
紅潮 : blush
昂ぶる : to be proud; to become excited

Congrats for finishing your first novel @sycamore !! :sparkles: :sparkles:

16 Likes

9月21日:
Day 14

What did I read:

• Final Fantasy XIV

Well, that’s a twist plot I guess. I didn’t really have a mood for studing today and wanted to play, so since FF14 is provided in four langauges including Japanese - I just used it as a practise material along with having a rest. I’m currently leveling a second character on a server different from my main, so I reread the main story.

15 Likes

Summary Post

September 21st
Satori Reader: Secret, episode 46.

Random words
  • 由来 = ゆらい origin, source.
  • 時期 = じき time, season.
  • 一瞬にして = いっしゅんにして in an instant, instantly, in a moment.
  • 慰める = なぐさめる to comfort, to console.
  • 助手席 = じょしゅせき passenger’s seat, assistant driver’s seat (next to the driver’s seat).

Your post got me curious! I was going to read that today, and in fact I started just a little bit, but I noticed that it was longer than I expected. Perhaps tomorrow :slightly_smiling_face: .

Or… perhaps I shouldn’t? :eyes:

18 Likes

日21。九月。2021年
今日の本 ー> 誰かが友達に家の中を案内しています 「文プロ」

the tour itself was pretty nice. I learnt that と can used when doing something with someone, say for instance 「父さんとテレビ見ます」. I thought と was just used for (and, also, or), that type of stuff. So when I saw that they said “dad and television” you best to believe I was confused… but it’s all good now and I ended the day learning a new way to use と。

pop

17 Likes

Summary post

Day 21: September 21
What did I read?: 夜は猫といっしょ Vol 1
How much did I read?: 16 pages
How long did it take me?: 17 min

My brain is thoroughly fried though at least I got a good amount of work done today…but will it be enough? Only time will tell.
CAT IS CUTE
AGAIN

シャッターチャンス

I still wanna squish him, here is the main character living my dream

作業できない

Good words (I love learning these words in the context of cats lol):
シャッターチャンス - best moment to take a picture; right timing (for a photograph); photo opportunity
誤魔化す (ごまかす) - to varnish over; to gloss over​
待ち構える (まちかまえる) - to lie in wait (for); to be on the watch (for); to wait (for); to watch (for)
スリスリ - snuggling; nuzzling; cuddling (THIS IS SO CUTE)
手当たり次第 (てあたりしだい) - using anything one can lay one’s hands on; haphazardly; on the rebound; at random; indiscriminately

18 Likes

Reading Update: 9月17日〜21日

Materials:

:red_square: 授乳
:red_square: 月刊少女野崎くん3

Just a brief update. My guests left today, so I can finally return to long bouts of reading! While they were here, I did my best to keep the streak alive. That tended to mean that I’d read a page or two of 野崎くん before passing out from exhaustion. Two characters (瀬尾 and 若松) are currently hanging out at the movies. 瀬尾 is such a chaotic character, which helps keep things entertaining. :grin:

I finished reading Week 1 of 授乳 today! It’s still incredibly difficult for me to get the gist of after one read through. I’m kind of glad that I decided to go with my “read each page twice” system when it comes to book club books, because one read through just doesn’t provide enough clarity for me. All that’s happened so far is that our MC, 直子, has a tutor that she doesn’t actually need. Her mother’s giving off suspicious vibes, and her tutor is on the odd side, but 直子 seems comfortable around him. From the only dialogue between them, we learn that talking isn’t something he’s keen on, and I got a good laugh out of just how to the point his responses are. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

@jhol613 was kind enough to inform me that this is probably the most difficult 村田 story the club has read together, so…here’s to another few weeks of painfully trying to understand what’s happening. :sweat_smile:

:house_with_garden: (click for home post)

19 Likes

Summary post

Day 21: Read another 2 pages of よつば&!

16 Likes

Glad you got to see it - hope you enjoyed the Otsukimi!
It was pretty clear here last night, so I got a good view of the moon :full_moon:

Pretty much all the info is at the beginning before the ads, the ad-section mostly just repeats everything but ties it into the tasty snacks, I read for a lot longer than I had meant to, just don’t read when you’re supposed to be making dinner like I did :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

:house_with_garden: home post

:heavy_check_mark: Day 13 (9月 21日) :sparkles:

What did I read:
only 暁のヨナ, midway to chapter 37, around 15min. Will look up words tomorrow today
It was such an exhausting day, morning job and then straight to tutoring children, I went home and my brain was fried… on top of that I did study some grammar from 新完全マスター bc I had to make sentences to show my teacher :sleepy: Hope today will be more productive!

I am positevely just as hungry and devastated after reading your entry, aaah, not sure I could counter those very very solid arguments about reusage of お箸, I’m just glad for my wallet that I wasn’t the one to be browsing that website.

Because I don’t remember if I guys told you, but this thread has had its hand in me committing amazon crimes already, and the other day this happened

and now I’m just waiting for the mail to arrive :innocent:

17 Likes

Summary

September 18
:maple_leaf: 18
total: 85/100

• 文豪ストレイドッグス21 (52 → 65%)

September 19
:maple_leaf: 19
total: 86/100

• 文豪ストレイドッグス21 (65 → 74%)
  • かがみの孤城 上 (0 → 3% text) (i didn’t start something new no, no way)

September 20
:maple_leaf: 20
total: 87/100

• 文豪ストレイドッグス21 (74 → 80%)
  • かがみの孤城 上 (0 → 3% audio)

September 21
:maple_leaf: 21
total: 88/100

• 文豪ストレイドッグス21 (80 → 85%)
  • かがみの孤城 上 (3 → 6% text+audio)

→ BSD manga continues to be so thiiiick :confused: Even 5% manage to exhaust me. (I’m at 21th volume, but am reading in Japanese only since 20th volume)
→ did some cleaning with my bookmeter 積読 & 読みたい sections:
^ only 1 next volume, even if I already bought more volumes because sale (several volumes of several series really started cluttering up the space)
^ only the most important stuff in 積読, even if it’s a little incorrect because it puts some already-bought-books in 読みたい
^ but that’s because 読みたい actually lets me set priority, so that way my reading priority goes 積読 → 読みたい ★★★ → 読みたい ★★☆ → 読みたい ★☆☆ → 読みたい ☆☆☆ (which doesn’t mean I can’t still shuffle stuff around, but at least that helps me grasp my current situation better)
→ considering prolonging my challenge to 108 days

16 Likes

Home post
I have japanese class on Tuesday night and had to some yoga in the morning before work because ouch knees ouch so didn’t have a lot of time for reading yesterday. I finished the first volume of こぐまケーキ屋さん. Most of the volume is 4 panel, 1 page comics but the last dozen pages are こぐま’s ケーキ origin story, so I’d been saving it to read in one sitting. I’ve already bought the next volume (actually the next 3) so I’m excited to read more of his adventures. They just released a gacha toy of the bear and it is killing me that I can’t get it.

This morning I read another chapter of それいけズッコケ三人組 which turned out to be 9 pages instead of the usual 4, so that was an unexpected surprise but does at least explain why it took me so long. Bit confused by the furigana in it - 広場 gets furigana despite both being grade 2 kanji but 幹 doesn’t despite being grade 5? First time seeing 幹 in the wild after learning it on WK though so that was nice. Learning yet more words for trees and slopes and hills, just when I thought I’d pretty much got them all covered.

18 Likes