📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

You can get off the bus after volume 17 if you like, though :-). That’s where the main series stopped originally; it only restarted after a five year gap with the newer books having the ‘Spring Log’ subtitle.

I’m never quite sure how I feel about the series – obviously I liked it enough to keep reading all of it, but on the other hand any particular book seems to have a bit in the middle that I have to push myself to keep reading, and I don’t usually feel like I want to read another immediately after finishing one volume. I’ve only read 2 of the Spring Log series, and none of the Wolf & Parchment spinoff series.

19 Likes

15/10 read 6 pages Tugumi, orange to end of letter 11 (7 pages), skimmed 3 pages Spy Family, skimmed 5 pages 耳をすませば

Would have managed more but I did manage to go diving today with the help of a load of decongestants!

Whale sharks from the other day as promised

Not my picture, my files are a bit big, but a friends picture of me.

30 Likes

Waaa :scream: :scream: :scream:

That buddy is about to suck you right in, no? :cold_sweat: How did you escape?

17 Likes

WHALE SHAAAARK :pleading_face: :sparkles:
I was waiting lol, that’s so cool :astonished:

17 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Autumn Onsen :hotsprings: :raccoon:

20221015 - 吾輩は狸である progress: 54.53% :womans_clothes:

Seeing so many naked people clearly has an impact on Wagahai-cat because it causes him to question what it means to be human, are humans really humans if they aren’t wearing clothes?

:fallen_leaf: Japanese found under the leaves :fallen_leaf:

Meowords

猿股「さるまた」ー Undershorts
癇癪「かんしゃく」ー Temper; fit of anger
衆目「しゅうもく」ー Public attention; all eyes (on you)
天水桶「てんすいおけ」ー Rain bucket/barrel
雲母「うんも」ー Mica (mineral)
箆棒「べらぼう」ー Extreme; terrible; excessive

This is so awesome!

28 Likes

Summary Post

Day 15: October 15th
What did I read?: 夜の名前を呼んで Vol 2
How much did I read?: 70 pages
How long did it take me?: 1 hour 7 min

Blah blah blah where have I been

Haven’t been having a good time the past day or two. Nothing, like, related to my actual life, just some drama that…really shouldn’t be affecting me this much, as a grown adult woman, but here it is, affecting me anyway. :thinking: In any case, I really didn’t feel like reading yesterday because of said drama. I didn’t really feel like it today either, but I didn’t want to miss more days. I also missed Thursday, because I was out with my dad and his fiance most of the day - it was a good day, but also exhausting. I did listening the other days, so I don’t count those as missed, but I haven’t really been in the thread very much at all this week so I’m sorry for that :bowing_woman:

Anyway, turning to Rei, my beautiful emotional support magician. He’s such a sweetheart, he’s never gonna do anything bad. I hope :smiling_face_with_tear: He’s fictional though so I believe in him

I read 2 chapters today because I wanted my Rei fix :upside_down_face: The first chapter was pretty adorable - Rei introduces Mira to this grumpy little goat boy (he’s actually a human mail boy but he…became a goat? I think as a result of Rei’s magic but it wasn’t like…the clearest or I might just be dumb, idk)
Anyway - the point of him becoming a tiny goat boy was so that Mira wouldn’t be so shy around him and they could actually get to know each other. I mean look at him, how can she be shy around him when he looks like that :joy:

They had a nice little moment together, and all in all it was a nice chapter :3

And then the next chapter bRoKe mE :sob:

I guess this is kind of spoilery so I'll put it in here

Rei got sick and Mira was taking care of him, which was super cute at first (poor babe-o can’t control his magic very well when he’s sick - he tried to get himself a wet cloth for his forehead and ended up dumping the bowl of water all over himself :heart:)

But then he had like the worst fever nightmare ever, parts of which I can only assume came out of his own past and I’m sorry, I have such a soft spot in my heart for sweet misunderstood people with big powers, I can’t-
I’m already in an emotionally vulnerable place right now so please excuse my shouting but REI MY SOFT BABY ANGEL I’M SO GLAD YOU HAD SOMEONE TO TAKE YOU UNDER THEIR WING BECAUSE YOU DESERVE THE WORLD :sob: MIRA THANK YOU FOR TAKING CARE OF HIM AND REMINDING HIM THAT HE IS LOVED AND THAT HE’S A GOOD SWEET PERSON :sob:

Please enjoy some gratuitous Rei panels because I just thought they were cute and I wanted to end with a happy Rei :face_holding_back_tears:

33 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Oct 15 :maple_leaf:

・本好きの下剋上 11 (47% → 53%)

Read a bit more than usual, and then was sidetracked by some stuff :see_no_evil:

27 Likes

October 15th!

Today I read a chapter of Shadow’s House. It was an interesting one.

(Home post)

26 Likes

I was actually a lot closer a few times. But they were feeding rather than swimming forward (actually being fed). I did get a bit worried when I could feel the water in front of me getting sucked in!

24 Likes

Main Post

On October the 15th I’ve discovered that Prey supports Japanese too and played it for a while. It is quite hard for my level though – and the font is a bit weird, which makes things harder to read. I think 二ノ国 is a better choice for me.

25 Likes

Home post

Day 14:

Priority: :rocket: ミニスカ宇宙海賊 1. There’s a problem raising the masts of the spaceship so some of the students are going out in spacesuits to try to fix it.

Free choice: :test_tube: 聖女の魔力は万能です. First sentence of reading session: 時は少し遡る. :sob: But it did at least try to explain some of the things I was confused about. Title of next chapter: 化粧品. :sob: I’m sorry, I’ll take the cooking! I was wrong to complain!

Extra:

• :mag: 硝子の塔の殺人. It’s frustrating to inch along in such an exciting scene, but it’s that or stop reading, so I’ll keep inching.
  • :comet: 君の名は. And finished it! :hibiscus: I didn’t realize how close I was.
  • :boom: 鋼の錬金術師 5. And finished it! :hibiscus:

Early stretch goal for next week: finish :shallow_pan_of_food: ダンジョン飯 4.

26 Likes

:jack_o_lantern: October 15th :jack_o_lantern: (Home Post Link)

Today was a super super busy day, was out and about from about 8am to 7pm. While I was out, I found out there was a shop nearby(ish) that sells japanese import snacks, so I got some stuff that looked fun. I still haven’t found a place nearby that sells うめぼし, so my quest for that will have to continue.

Was extremely tired when I got back, but still found a little bit of energy for a よつばと!chapter (46). It is a little funny that I have been watching はじめてのおつかい on netflix and it is actually mentioned in this chapter. I guess that show has been running for quite a long time in Japan! And, in classic show fashion, things do not go exactly as planned for our young よつば on her errand to the コンビニ :rofl:

Did some more reading in bed, chapters 47 and 48, finishing volume 7! And chapter 49 from volume 8. I’m glad we finally got to make it to the 牧場, i was a little worried there for a bit.

Good Words

頼む「たのむ」ー to request
完璧「かんぺき」ー perfect, flawless
新種「しんしゅ」ー species
寝坊「ねぼう」ー sleeping in late
即答「そくとう」ー immediate reply
余計「よけい」ー unnecessary, uncalled for
殴る「なぐる」ー to hit, to strike
山羊「やぎ」ー goat
乳搾り「ちちしぼり」ー milking
褒める「ほめる」ー to praise
あべこべ ー opposite, reverse
枕「まくら」ー pillow
梨「なし」ー pear

トマト飴!

A hard candy that tastes like a rather salty, very rich tomato. Hardly sweet, but うまいです!I couldn’t eat more than a few at a time though

26 Likes

I read more of 天使の傷跡 but I got home late and didn’t have much time for it :weary: It’s at such an exciting point too, I only have 44 pages left! I might try to sneak in a bit more tonight and finish it off tomorrow.

I also picked up 3 free books today (long story but I volunteer with a nonprofit so sometimes have access to excess Japanese book donations). One is a 赤川次郎 book, one is by 内田康夫 who I haven’t read before but the summary suggests it will a trashy murder mystery (my fave), and a copy of レベル7, which is just perfect as it means I don’t need to buy a copy! I promised @Belerith I’d go for an informal book club on it in 2023 as it being paperback only and 600+ pages limits the number of people who wanna read it. But I mean, the summary looks just so fun!

JP and Eng summary

レベル7まで行ったら戻れない――謎の言葉を残して失踪した女子高生。記憶を全て失って目覚めた若い男女の腕に浮かび上がった「Level7」の文字。少女の行方を探すカウンセラーと自分たちが何者なのかを調べる二人。二つの追跡行はやがて交錯し、思いもかけない凶悪な殺人事件へと導いていく。ツイストに次ぐツイスト、緊迫の四日間。ミステリー・サスペンスの最高峰、著者初期の傑作。

If you go to Level 7, you can’t go back - a high school girl who disappeared, leaving behind mysterious words. The words “Level 7” appear on the arms of a young man and woman who wake up without all their memories. A counselor searches for the girl’s whereabouts and the two investigate who they are. The two pursuits eventually intersect, leading to an unexpected and heinous murder. Twist after twist, four days of tension. A masterpiece of mystery and suspense from the author’s early days.

27 Likes

Home

Yesterday:

I finished 晴れのち四季部 vol 3!

Chiaki calls Azuma his 相棒! (Both in his head and to Azuma’s face.) And okay yeah I’m pretty certain he likes Azuma. I was thinking so this volume, and then we get to ch 14 (the xmas chapter), and their teammates say that he seems like the kind to take his s/o on a date to look at xmas lights, and he’s like, “Ooh, yeah, that sounds romantic!” and then immediately imagines himself taking Azuma on a date to look at xmas lights, but since he feels like Azuma wouldn’t be able to handle the cold very well, it quickly turns into them going back home and sitting under the kotatsu. They do actually end up going and looking at xmas lights—Haruno and Yamato had put up a xmas tree during their part of the chapter, and now Chiaki and Azuma go and look at it, and Chiaki has fun watching Azuma while Azuma has fun circling the tree and looking at the ornaments their kouhai had put on it. Chiaki’s a lil disappointed that Azuma’s fine with the cold lol

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, this series is just so cute. I really hope there’ll be a vol 4, though that’ll probably be in like 2 years `:'(

Today:

I finally picked up 魔法使いの騎士, and it's.. yeah. One I regret getting, unfortunately.

Apparently the mage can’t regenerate MP on his own (or at least not quickly…?), and… “草の民と交わればすぐ魔力は回復する.” And he means 交わる in the sexual way. So ch 1 ends with him falling asleep in the knight’s arms (he gave the bed to the kid in the knight’s care, so the two of them are sitting on the floor leaning against the side of it), his magic depleted, and ch 2 starts with the knight dreaming of an incident in his childhood and waking up to the wizard, who’s still leaning against him, getting banged by a wolf-man. Yeah. Lovely. Even if it doesn’t show anything, I still coulda done without that, thanks. Especially the bestialityfurry sh*t. Which I guess means that when we first met him in ch 1, with him in a sensual, fanservice-y pose with some magical vines or tendrils or whatever, that was a magical being he’d been Engaged with. Lovely.

lol it seems that, as long as they’re a being of magic (whether that be a magical creature or a human who has magic), anyone will do, so in ch 2 the knight thinks, “So if I had magic, then even I…? No, no, what am I thinking?!” He does take his job as a protector very seriously, but it also seems he’s started to come to care about this mysterious man, even though they haven’t known each other very long yet. (Before the start of the story, he and his charge had been sent by the king to find the mage and bring him back to become the palace sorcerer, and the mage refused. As the knight wasn’t allowed to return without him, the mage decided to hire him and make the knight his own knight, thus the title.)

So we’re kissing children now. On the mouth, and not just a peck. It wasn’t the mage but his evil twin, and it was to remove a curse/spell on the kid, but still, that didn’t need to happen. Well, I say “evil twin” because of the trope, but I’m not sure he’s evil per se or just not exactly “good” and also an antagonist. And actually, after finishing the book, I’m confused about if they are actually separate people or if they used to be the same person. Doesn’t help either that their names are literally only one letter different from each other: the mage is named クレド and his double is クレイド.

Apparently the knight is the king’s eldest son, but since he has no magic (and/or is illegitimate), he became (was made to, I’m sure, since it was from childhood) the knight of his younger half-brother the crown prince. Anyway uhhhh I hate the king. Not only does he clearly not care about his eldest son and would severely punish (even kill?) him for daring to return without the mage, but he was wanting the mage as his sorcerer to replace the previous one, the twin, who disappeared without a trace one day, bearing a grudge, and little wonder. He’d been the court sorcerer since childhood, and as he’s a mage rather than a human then he needs to have sex in order to be able to use magic. When he’s talking about his hatred for that kingdom, he’s like, “But if it weren’t for them defiling this body, I wouldn’t have realized I was a mage, so I’m grateful for that at least,” (and “them” is 彼ら, and the panel only shows the king, who was very much an adult at the time, so who else was there? Who else there had their way with him?) which uhhh very much implies that they’d thought he was a human child and raped him and that’s how they found out he was a mage and then made him the court sorcerer. クレド says that his feelings are more mixed than クレイド’s, and we see that he had someone he got along with and protected him, someone whom the knight apparently has grown up to look like (his uncle, I’m assuming??). But the knight only remembers there being the one sorcerer (and he has no idea why he didn’t recognize クレド despite him and クレイド having the exact same face; only their hairstyle and their personality are different) so are they actually the same person, just now existing as two separate beings??? I’m very confused.

This story doesn’t feel complete. There’s a certain amount of stuff that can be left open with the story still feeling contained/resolved, but his manga just feels like, “Why are you ending it there…?” The world seems interesting, even if I definitely did not appreciate some aspects of the story, but the ending is so unsatisfying. I definitely regret buying this.

I had intended to at least start ch 9 of 夜カフェ today, and I feel like if 魔法使いの騎士 hadn’t been so disappointing, I would have, but as it was, I just read a bit of my pile of English books. Didn’t get very far, though.

25 Likes

15 October 2022

:house: Home Post

• Chainsaw Man (Chapter 33)

sleepy

24 Likes

October 15 :maple_leaf: Home Post

Ended up on a weird tangent today and watched like four eps of a Danganronpa V3 let’s play?? Which I figure is as much reading as voiced visual novels are so here it goes :laughing: My main purpose was to see how Gonta speaks in Japanese since I was curious (turned out to be pretty anticlimactic really, he maybe uses slightly simpler sentences than some of the others but definitely nothing like the English), but I did discover that Miu refers to herself as 俺様 which is just… incredible :joy: very on brand, love that for her. But yeah I could really just follow along at normal speed which bodes well for replaying the games in Japanese someday!

26 Likes

:books: :maple_leaf: softlyraining’s spooky book stack :jack_o_lantern: :open_book:

October 15th:
:red_square: 名探偵コナン (0% → 5%)

I was going to start reading ゴーストハント (got the first three volumes for free on Bookwalker a while back), but then I saw that volumes 1 to 6 of Detective Conan are free to read until the end of the month, so I thought, “Why not?” Didn’t read much today; a murder mystery was just solved by Shinichi Kudo, our Detective Conan (or, as the first chapter’s called, 平成のホームズ (another aside: is he now the 令和のホームズ?)).

25 Likes

I’ve read some of his stuff before, and I have 赤い雲伝説殺人事件 in my to-read pile right now. Fun murder mysteries with a sprinkling of travelogue in them (especially the ones titled “famous-tourist-location-殺人事件”).

13 Likes

:ghost: First Two Weeks of Challenge :jack_o_lantern: :house:
My weekly update has somehow become a two week update, but I have been reading everday although just a little bit on some busier days. This challenge so far:

Read Sui Ishida’s Jack Jeanne oneshot Puppet.
I love this game so all of the extra content is making me really happy. There’s a new novel coming out in November (500 pages!) so that’s definitely getting added to my November reading plans.

Finished volume 4 of Flesh & Blood.
Just about caught up to the club, I’ll probably jump right into volume 5 mostly because I’m really worried about what’s going to happen after the way this one ended.

Read 41 pages of 憧れの作家は人間じゃありませんでした.
This one’s one of my Halloween reads, not really spooky but because one of the characters is a vampire. So far not far enough in to say a lot about the plot but it’s a pretty smooth read. The main characters are big movie fans so there’s been a lot of talk about real movies which I can’t say I’m particularly knowledgeable about.

Finished volume 2 of 夜の名前を呼んで
Still really enjoying this series. The last two chapters :sob: poor Mira has been through so much

Read chapter 1 of 波間の子どもたち
This is the next manga I’m starting, seems interesting so far.

Replies

I read this one a bit before too and that was my understanding as well although it was pretty vague on the specifics. I thought it might be like a magic kigurumi at first but then he just kind of magically turned back into a person :joy:

28 Likes

:lady_beetle: Home :lady_beetle:

October 15

ニャンキーズ
start - 9

They’re cute kitties :pleading_face:

23 Likes