📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

You got it right ! Congrats and thanks for going through the first two parts :slight_smile: .

The third one is a bit more exciting especially the end. I think half way through part 3 is when I really found ‘my style’. I find Part 4 the coolest. A big part of it is a side story that takes place in the ‘Tile World’. I’m saying this because I read somewhere that you’re going to read my Tile World Chronicles stories in the future if i’m correct.

10 Likes

Yes, I’m looking forward to it! It was the thing that kept me the most motivated before I got my new book. :+1:

10 Likes

Finished Shield Hero. I’ll finish the side stories tomorrow.

13 Likes

Slow progress last few days. And more busy days upcoming.

22/11 4 pages God Bless the Mistaken

23/11 2 pages おばちゃんたちのいるところ

24/11 3 pages おばちゃんたちのいるところ (finished last week’s reading and started this week’s chapter), 3 pages God Bless the Mistaken

18 Likes

So I finished one of the side stories… Not great. Just following a character I already don’t like. The next side story is from the perspective of a child and is almost an hour long. I think I will just read 青ブタ9 and wait for my volume two.

13 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Autumn Onsen :hotsprings: :raccoon:

20221124 - 吾輩は狸である progress: 82.49% :yarn:

Keeping track of everyone clearly wasn’t confusing enough, so some more guests have arrived.

:fallen_leaf: Japanese found under the leaves :fallen_leaf:

Meowords

潸然「さんぜん」ー Tearfully; shedding tears
襦袢「じゅばん」ー Undershirt (under kimono)

Replies

So pretty!

So cute!

18 Likes

:maple_leaf: :turkey: November 24th :turkey: :maple_leaf: (Home Post Link)

I think I’ve decided to put からかい上手の高木さん on hold. Reading a physical book again made me realize how much I wasn’t actually enjoying reading that much on the kindle, and I have plenty of physical volumes that I haven’t touched yet at a readable level on my shelf to get through, so I might as well work on those. (Plus it’ll be nice to have an easier series on kindle for when I travel.) Options right now are probably: しろくまカフェ (short, easy, neither read nor watched), ルリドラゴン (1 volume, easy, read in english), ホリミヤ (long, medium difficulty, read and watched), 四月は君の噓 (long, probably harder, seen but haven’t read). The other series I have are definitely still too hard for now: 蟲師 and 3月のライオン

Read:

• ホリミヤ ch 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, おまけ, finished volume 1! – I went to go read a little bit as a level test and ended up just reading… uh… a lot. It’s definitely harder than the other series I’ve read so far, but it’s at a much more manageable level than it was last time I tried. More word lookups, but iirc the first volume is a tad harder than the ones after it. There’s the whole 「誰しも他人には見せないー面があるはずだ」 narration thing happening, and i’m pretty sure that goes away mostly after the introduction parts

I love these idiots, and I’ve missed them greatly

Good Words

訳する「やくする」ー to translate
恩に着る「おんにきる」ー to be indebted to, to feel grateful to
姿「すがた」ー shape, form, appearance
驚く「おどろく」ー to be surprised
避ける「さける」ー to avoid (a situation)
照れる「てれる」ー to be shy
微妙「びみょう」ー not great, iffy
委員会「いいんかい」ー committee meeting
偶然「ぐうぜん」ー a coincidence, by chance
刺青「しせい」ー tattoo (uses kanji, but コレ in furigana, it’s like “what do i do about this ?”)
入れ墨「いれずみ」ー tattoo
極度「きょくど」ー extreme, maximum
寄り道「よりみち」ー making a detour, taking a side trip
飾り「かざり」ー ornament, decoration
悔しい「くやしい」ー frustrated, annoyed
覚悟「かくご」ー readiness
睨む「にらむ」ー to glare at
狂う「くるう」ー to go crazy over
ぶっちゃける ー to speak frankly
納得「なっとく」ー consent, agreement
性別「せいぶつ」ー sex, gender
(性同一性 「せいどういつせい」is gender identity, was curious so did a lil jp wikipedia reading for that)
探偵「たんてい」ー investigator
犯人「はんにん」ー criminal
目撃「もくげき」ー observing, witnessing
沈没「ちんぼつ」ー sinking, floundering
絶好「ぜっこう」ー perfect, ideal, best
保護者「ほごしゃ」ー guardian, protector
募る「つのる」ー to become worse
一班「いっぱん」ー group one, squad one (counter, 班「はん」)
拒否「きょひ」ー refusal, denial
余裕「よゆう」ー surplus, leeway

Replies

aAAAA CUTE :heart_eyes:

So pretty, love the snow :snowflake:

19 Likes

Yes! I loved ロクヨン and highly, highly recommend it. The story is pretty slow developing but it’s just so. well. written. Interestingly, even though ロクヨン has two adaptations (drama and a movie) 半落ち seems to be the better known work, as when I mention wanting to read 半落ち I pretty consistently get a response about knowing it.

I think you’d like this author, he definitely doesn’t fail to explore human drama.

Thank you both for the feedback! I think I’ll wait til December and then make a post asking if anyone would like to join, that way anyone wanting a paper copy has time to get one but it’s not too early. I’ll be reading on paper, my page counts came from that copy.

12 Likes

Glad to hear it, this is my impression too! ロクヨン has been on my list for ages, but I’ve been putting it off since I read that you found it on the hard side. Let’s start with 半落ち then! Looking forward to it. :smiley:

7 Likes

Nov 24, Thu of Week 9 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

• SHADOWS HOUSE Vol.3 Ch.33

I figured it is best for me not to rush with this series. Otherwise, it’s full of contrasting loud emotions, as someone mentioned in the reading club.

I updated my Yomichan dictionaries (updated 3 months ago, said Github). Time by time, JMdict got more entries, and old entries got fixed. Aedict automatically got updated, but I don’t think Akebi can be updated. Also, I don’t think KANJIDIC get updated all.

• うたわれるもの (Steam) 1 hour or something

Rewindable text + audio is deemed to best for my current level. (Not that I wouldn’t do what are less-than-best.) Also, I am relatively comfortable with the material.

I now get to see the map, and arrow of movement.

Interesting vocabularies
  • 諸行無常 (しょ.ぎょう/む.じょう) each rows (行 [ぎょう]) not always. The vocabulary from someone’s log. Led by JMdict (Aedict), I found three more for 四法印 (し/ほう.いん).
    • 諸法無我 (しょ.ほう/む.が) every rules (法律) lack self (我)
    • 一切皆苦 (いっさい/かいく) third Kanji is from 皆無 (かい.む)
    • 涅槃寂静 (ねはん/じゃくじょう) first half appears to be Nirvana, therefore, sleeping board (寝板). Kanji’s are something, though. The latter half has Kanji reversed from usual (静寂).
  • 敬う (うやまう) perhaps yet another way to be 羨ましい (うらやましい), so 謝る (あやまる)
  • のろし perhaps so smokin’ spell (呪い)?
  • 水差し (みずさし) appears to be a pitcher or a jug, feels more like 注す (さす) to me. Another main alternate form is 水指し.
  • 身支度 (み/じ.たく) prepare oneself = dress up. Got rendaku’d.
  • 甦る mostly the same as 蘇る perhaps. Feels revitalized, because 更に生きる.
  • 泥酔 probably sound similar to 泥水
  • 甲斐甲斐しい very 生き甲斐 (ikigai)
  • 懸命 short form of 一生懸命. Similar to 命がけ. Homophone to 賢明 (wise).
  • 統べる (すべる) to reign over. Now, it really feels like すべて, except it’s a conjugable verb.
  • 叡智 (えいち) like wisdom (智恵 [ちえ]), but from the emperor (叡, but somehow replaceable with 英).
    • Confused with 容赦’s second Kanji at first.
  • しかるべき Kanji form is 然るべき (the Kanji from 当然, 突然 + べき) Nothing related to 叱る
  • 毛皮 (け.がわ) fur
  • 繙く (ひもとく) an alternate form is 紐解く. I guess string (紐) / thread (糸) needs to be unwind (解く) sequentially (番).
  • 旺盛 (おう.せい) having King and the Sun together, everything gets lively (盛り). First Kanji reading comes from 王様.
  • 突飛 (とっ.ぴ) outrageous topic
  • 鉱石 (こう.せき) when even did ore become an achievement (功績)? (Or perhaps the way round, ore makes mining an archievement.)

Phrases

• 身の程知らず quite straightforward when broken down (身の程[ほど] / 知らず)
  • 強情を張る the vocabulary is relatively straightforward once remembered (think 強引 or 強盗), but I knew only mostly 頑固 before.
  • 良薬口に苦し (りょう.やく/くち/に/にがし) no rendaku in Kotowaza dict (on Yomichan). JMdict version also has は (良薬は口に苦し).
  • 病みつきになる (やみ~ because the verb is 病む) become dead attached to
  • 居たたまれない has いる in Kanji from in context (居る). The remaining is たまる (to tolerate). 「いたたまない」に同じ。
  • やんちゃ坊主 (~ぼうず) like this boy (坊主) – Yamcha | Dragon Ball Wiki | Fandom (slight spelling difference)
  • ちょっかいを出す the first part ちょっかい feels like ちょっと介する. A cat extends its paw pad to do you-know-what.
  • 喉を鳴らす (のど/を/ならす) more than 鳴る?!
  • 正真正銘 (しょう.しん/しょう.めい) last Kanji from 銘柄, the name inscribed on a metal plate.
  • 胸を撫で下ろす (むね/を/なで.おろす) your chest / heart gets pat, so go down (calm down). (Can be imagined that way too, I guess.)

Forgotten ones

• 素敵 From Kanji form, it’s still weird for me to think of ステキ as pure (good) enemy. Otherwise, just right (適当) or a target (的射), in alternate forms.
  • ひいき pull (引き) your breathing (息 [いき]) towards. First time (in a different material), I saw in Kanji form (贔屓).
  • 華やか (はなやか) the Kanji 華 is yet another 花, in blooming chinatown form.
  • 民 (たみ) so, tell (た) me (み) who you are.

16 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 55, 24th of November :maple_leaf:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

Today the animals from DrDru’s story finally made it to the concert! What I want to know: how does a crocodile play the trumpet??? It doesn’t have lips…

The next story was about casual vs polite language. Interesting choice to make Count Dracula use casual language with the reader. I also like how the little joke from many stories ago returns and vampires only eat Tyrannosauruses…

Another story was about how to say “something starts with…” or “something ends with…” using the alphabet or compound kanji as examples.

I’ve definitely noticed having an easier time reading these after coming back from deciphering Kiki. Punching above my weight is exhausting, but very rewarding!

18 Likes

November 24th
:maple_leaf:Home post:maple_leaf:

Card Captor Sakura volume 1 or Aria: the masterpiece volume 2 – progress report
Yesterday: Read up to page 53, finished Chapter 1 of Card Captor Sakura.
Today: Read up to page 64.

Not much time and energy left today: I kept the reading session short because I really need to take a break now as I haven’t had a proper one the whole day. :pensive:

@MissDagger
Of course, Kiro is the number one priority, after all. :wink: …Except for food, sleep, shelter etc.

And speaking of Kiro: he’s as cute as ever and the wait was totally worth it – thank you for sharing these new pictures. :face_holding_back_tears:

Word or expression of the day:
現場 (げんば) - scene, location, site, scene of the crime

18 Likes

November 24 :heavy_check_mark: :maple_leaf:

秋の牢獄, 67-81%

This story is definitely fantasy. Not exactly my cup of tea, but it’s interesting enough. While I feel I know where it’s going, I also know no story from this author has ever developed as I expected, so who knows what the next pages hold.

20 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Nov 24 :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf: :snowman_with_snow:

・本好きの下剋上 13 (76% → 83%)

Got some productive stuff done today, hihi :3 I think I needed that break yesterday, just reading all day long.

I like the vibe from the two kanji in the word 邂逅(かいこう) - chance meeting. Doesn’t look like a real word, for some reason.
Then there’s this ridiculous expression: (うま)(ほね) - person of doubtful origin (derogatory). What’s wrong with a horse’s bone?? Don’t tell me this stems from one of the Chinese ma with the rude tone or something like that. (what in the actual :joy: )

I’ll probably keep posting for a while, December is a waaaaay less busy month for me (except for two exams, but rest and read is key to keeping my sanity during busy times, haha). And there’s always the next challenge :D

22 Likes

Looks like it is from Chinese, but not in that way.

もともと「馬の骨」とは中国で「役に立たないもの」という意味で使われていた「一に鶏肋(けいろく)、二に馬骨」という言葉から来ているのですよ!

鶏肋とは鶏の肋骨の部分のことで、これは小さすぎてなんの役にも立たないです。

そして馬骨は大きすぎてこれもまた役に立たないんですね!むしろ大きくて処分に困るほど…。

そのことから転じて「馬の骨」が「役に立たない余計な者」という意味で使われるようになりました。

13 Likes

November 24th!

Today I read the final chapter of Volume 3 of Flying Witch. It was a fun chapter that made me really want some pancakes…

I’m planning on starting Pokemon Violet this weekend, and am trying to decide whether or not to play it in Japanese. I really want to, but also I’d like to be able to play it at a reasonable pace so that I can chat to friends about it and avoid spoilers and stuff…
I started Arceus a few months ago and I still havent come anywhere near finishing it because reading it is difficult and takes me ages and I get tired out fast.
…I need to have a bit of a think before making a final decision, but right now I’m leaning towards playing it in English and just sticking to playing Arceus for Japanese practise.

(Home Post)

17 Likes

I finished 教場 and wrote a review but the tl;dr is that while I didn’t hate it, I wasn’t that into it either.

I was intending to finish the 死仮面 today as well, but I have to start cooking Thanksgiving dinner soon so I’m not sure that will happen :sweat_smile:

18 Likes

Read some of 青ブタ9 Ch 2-1. It’s an awesome feeling coming back to this book after finishing Shield Hero because reading it comes with much more ease now. Shield Hero has a lot of fantasy jargon, so its nice coming back to a slice of life story. My brain is putting the pieces together much more effortlessly. I also forgot how small Bunko books feel. xD I love both sizes for different reasons though.

17 Likes

:lady_beetle: Home :lady_beetle:

November 24

人間椅子 -

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険52
13 - 14

As you can tell, I made excellent progress last night.

I fell asleep sitting up with the lights on at midnight, so I figured I should call it quits. Here’s hoping today’s good!

19 Likes

November 24 :maple_leaf: Home Post

Had more downtime today oddly enough, so I read the rest of ブルーロック volume 16 and started on volume 17, which equaled out to a bit over a volume read today so yay! It’s been pretty dramatic, working toward the end of an arc, so I’ve certainly been enjoying it :grin: I’m starting to get close-ish to the the end of the volumes that are currently out and I’m just like… who will I be then :joy: only time will tell!

18 Likes