Railroad vs Railway

Is there a reason why railroad word isn’t accepted for 私鉄, 電鉄, or simillar as a correct answer?

2 Likes

I doubt it, especially as they translate 電鉄 as “railroad” in one of the example sentences. There does seem to be some minor difference between “railroad” and “railway,” but more just that a railway is a type of railroad (and possibly that “railway” is used more in British English and “railroad” is used more in American English?)

They also have both “railroad” and “railway” variations accepted for 車両 and 線路, so they should definitely accept both for the others.

2 Likes

@Mods what is your take on this?

Because “private” is an important distinction.

Edit: Oh, railroad, instead of railway. Yeah, no idea.

2 Likes

I had the same reaction lol

2 Likes

Hi there!

私鉄 is looking for private railroad/railway, and 電鉄 is looking for electric railroad/railway. As long as the operative word is there, both railroad and railway are accepted.

1 Like

I checked on Tsurukame, which shows the hidden synonyms as well, and both words currently only accept the version with “railway.” (They may be covered by typo allowance, but that’s not the same thing)

7 Likes

Ah, good point. I’ll get those added as synonyms now.

The operative word stipulation will still apply, in case that was the issue OP was encountering.

7 Likes

Why does 輸送 accept transport and transportation but 搬送 only accepts transportation?

For what it’s worth, on the UK side of the pond, the only word is “railway”, and “railroad” is an American word never used here (unless as part of the proper name of some US company). I dunno what use, if any, US English makes of “railway”.

3 Likes

I feel like I wouldn’t ever reach for “railway.”

3 Likes

Dictionary.com suggests that a railway is a railroad with a lighter track and/or that goes over a shorter distance

I don’t think I’ve ever heard “railway” used here, though I don’t exactly live anywhere with many railroads either

2 Likes

I’ve heard both and for the most part I think they are interchangeable, but railroad does make me think more specifically to the physical track, while railway makes me think of the service, similar to how airplane is the object and airline is the service.

6 Likes

That’s a good question. Let me ask someone on our team if there’s a nuance I’m unaware of or if we should add transport as a synonym for 搬送.

4 Likes

If “transport” means “transporting something” then “transportation” is also fine. Both can be used in similar contexts according to dictionaries (meaning, transportation of people and cargo), but 搬送 can refer to transporting things like information as well so it’s more like “carrying” if we’re being strict.

2 Likes

We’ve added “transport” to the allow list for 搬送. :+1:

-Nick at WK

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.