Race to Your Goal! December 2020 JLPT

The JLPT isn’t cancelled everywhere, some countries are going forward with it whereas others have decided to cancel it.

Yeah, some places cancelled it, others didn’t. I was never actually planning on taking the JLPT myself, but I just hopped on this form because it was the one that fit my goals and I figured it would be a nice motivator. I’m curious how many other people are here doing the same.

I’m not exactly the same, but I originally joined because I was planning to take it. However, I realized that my personal goals didn’t align with my JLPT goals, so I decided not to take it. I’ll take an online practice version that weekend though to check my progress.

I get that. I don’t personally care much for the JLPT, I think it doesn’t do a good job of measuring actual Japanese ability in my opinion (emphasis on my opinion) but what I do like is that it provides structure to base your study around. Even though I don’t plan on taking it, I still study grammar from the different levels. So in all, I think it’s a net positive.

For sure, like any standardized test, it’s got issues and it doesn’t actually test your output ability either.

Same! Plus I hope to do well enough on it next year that I’ll be able to have some proof of my Japanese ability (in order to broaden my future job prospects)

I planned to take N4 just to see how I went and to make me study more grammar and listening etc. I can’t sit it this year now anyway, so hopefully I’ll try N3 next year.

what ? you are level 51 and only try N4 ? anything wrong here? I think at least you can take N2 or N1

The Wanikani level / the amount of Kanji you know doesn’t usually correlate with the JLPT level you have. Just because you’re on level 51 on Wanikani doesn’t mean you know the grammar and voabulary nor does it mean you have the listening and reading ability that is needed to pass the JLPT N2 or N1. It always depends on the person and their overall Japanese knowledge (not just Kanji knowledge / Wanikani level.

Yes, as @frayderike says, it doesn’t correlate with ability in other areas. I’m doing a bit of a speed run with WK, but my grammar is well below that - I’m two thirds through N4.

Edit: I’m now approaching one year of learning Japanese. So definitely nowhere near N2!

Level 53 - 4 days and 21 hours. I may try to do this level a bit faster!

Level 31 for me! Seems like someone moved me up the chart, because I was expecting to find myself at level 21, but I was at level 24.

Now I have 2 months left to reach level 40. Seems unlikely that I’ll make it. I’d have to go pretty much full speed.

Long time no see everyone :sweat_smile:

After dropping of the grid back in June because of work getting too busy I’ve tried a few times to get my reviews back under control, unsuccessfully :cry:
Work and life haven’t really let up these past few months but since I signed up for JLPT N3 I really need to get back on track with my kanji study. And so, I’ve made the decision to reset back to level 30 to clear out a good bulk of those apprentice reviews and make it easier to return to a normal WaniKani study routine quickly.
I don’t think I’ll be making it to my goal of 60 by December but I’m gonna get as close as I can without burning out :grin:
頑張ります!!

Welcome back! I started on these leaderboards at level 33 and it honestly feels wack that I’m already lvl 55. It goes by pretty quickly when you don’t expect it. Consistency is key though. Keep crushing it and you’ll get there before you know it!

Woah! thanks for this leaderboard. Is anyone allowed to join? Or is it open to everyone?

It’s open to everyone, but the deadline is in less than 2 months already. Maybe you’d like to join the latest leaderboard thread over on Olympians XXXII (2021 - not the original 2020 thread).

Leveled up to 33 in 7 days. I should probably change my username to Shinkansen express. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :joy: :joy: :joy:

I was pretty lazy the last few days hardly learnt any japanese outside of Wanikani, Bunpro and my daily writing by hand training. But I will do my next japanese test soon so I will need to spent lots of time on japanese every day for a whole week then.

Reached Level 54 in exactly 4 days. Getting near the end!

Can almost taste that cake!

No lie though, I am super ready for level 60, as I’m sure you are too. I’m not exactly sure how much time I spend a day doing WK, and I’m not sure I want to find out :joy:, but I’m excited to spend that time doing other things like reading, grammar study, and just immersing in more native content overall. and also not having to crush 150+ reviews every morning, yeeclaw

Yes, looking forward to it. I need to work on my grammar and other stuff, plus catch up on reading.

Finally back on track. Should make 52 before the test!
Also anyone else even close to as inconsistent as I have been? lolllllllll

wkstats