Race to Your Goal! December 2020 JLPT

Hey Happy Tuesday everyone! So I’m still alive!! I really hit a wall in level 17. I did too many lessons and my apprentice items went from 200 to nearly 500. I wasn’t able to keep my reviews down to zero and ended up taking over two months to complete this level.

I finally have things back under control, but I have to be so careful not to let that happen again!

Level 18 will probably take a while as I’ve about 163 new things to learn. But I’ll keep at this everyday to keep my streak going and promise not to let me apprentice items go above 200 ever again.

9 Likes

I’ll try to keep these near or below 100.
This was also a suggestion by many others as trying to cram more and more will end up you being overwhelmed later on, especially when burned items arrive to the review queue as additional headaches.

3 Likes

1 year, 1000 Kanji

After a whole year of WaniKani’ing I’ve managed to Guru 1000 Kanji.
Halfway there. 2022 will be the year, when I visit Japan. Until then I’ll be level 60!

ktLx+edLSG+1koBRC0S1IQ_mini_14b0

15 Likes

Wow, that was a gorgeous year! May the next solar revolution be just as beautiful!

5 Likes

Congrats! BTW, there’s an update available for Heatmap.

3 Likes

grats on keeping it going every day.

2 Likes

Congrats and good work looking forward to your level 60 post next year.

2 Likes

Hi all,

this is my third attempt at Wanikani, having phased out at the same point in level 5 twice. Now that I have definitive plans to teach ESL in Japan in 2022, I hope to be making it through the level 5 barrier and work my way up to level 40 at a minimum before departing. First goal is to be around the N5 level by January. Good luck everyone!

4 Likes

new month, so time to start learning new kanji!

I did around 10 of my lessons and add more later this week.

3 Likes

Reached level 52, technically in 5 days 11 hours - I actually guru’d all items on Tsurukame 24 hours before but have been (literally) in the desert till now.

4 Likes

So I haven’t popped into this thread in a while, was still listed as 26 but now I am almost 10 levels higher. Things have been crazy since then, celebrated the arrival of our first kid and all the chaos that comes with it. Hit a good groove on reviews and lessons that have helped me maintain my sleep deprived sanity :crazy_face:

5 Likes

We wanted to try jlpt5 with a friend this december, so at first wanted to wait last second to register (in case of covid cancelation and all) but they announced there will be a limited number of places.

So we decided we might as well just send the paperwork in the middle of the inscriptions dates to be safe.

Last week-end I was going to print all the papers and bam. JLPT5 is full (':

Welp … I guess better to not go into another big city right now. I’ll take it in summer haha

Good luck for those of you who are going to take it, and most of all, stay safe !

2 Likes

Leveled up to level 32 today. If people wonder my stats review time 325h 43m spent on lessons 53h 52m. Numbers are probably not accurate I sometimes start to do reviews and then I go and do something else and I forget about my reviews.

Spent around 500 hours on learning japanese this year and I’m still pretty bad at it.

4 Likes

Welcome back from the desert! Looks like doing reviews only on Tsurukame didn’t slow you down much. Keep it up!

4 Likes

I’m still kind of in the desert. But passing through towns with signal now!

Longer story:

Summary

I’m travelling home from Alice Springs in central Australia, which is pretty much in the desert anyway. I’ve just tracked along the top part of South Australia, skirting the edge of the Simpson Desert, and arrived in Coober Pedy today - an opal mining town. My only signal was yesterday for a couple of hours on a lunch stop.

5 Likes

Hot dang. Sounds like quite the trip. I’ve never been to Australia, much less driven 7+ hours through it. But I once had to drive from California back home to the Midwest through Arizona, which is pretty much, if not actually, a desert. Best of luck to ya, those long stretches of road are rough.

3 Likes

Thanks - I think where I am now compares a bit to the type of desert in Arizona, though I’ve never been there. And I should clarify I’m doing this entirely by choice and for fun! I could have reached the town I’m in now in one day by heading straight down the highway. But there’s no fun in that…

4 Likes

Haha, I feel that. Scenic route for the win!

2 Likes

I know how you feel!

I feel like I’ve spent a huge amount of time with Wanikani but don’t have much too much to show for it as I haven’t spent much time on anything else. Made it to level 31 but still struggle with the N5 past papers :sweat_smile:

I think I’m gonna keep pushing forward with Wanikani till I hit level 45 then stop new lessons and shift my study time over to a more vocab and grammar driven approach. But I fell behind over the last few weeks while moving house so I currently have 1937 reviews. Gonna shoot for at least 100 reviews a day for the next couple of days while I get back into the rhythm of things, then increase my daily goal to 200 for a few days and then up to 300. Today the fun begins again :wink:

4 Likes

Wait, aint JLPT test canceled this year due to pandemic??
Atleast that is what says in my country.

1 Like