Race to Your Goal! December 2020 JLPT

Your accuracy looks great! How come you are going slow? Not taking on enough lessons, or not taking time to review? Or are you like me and getting some of the kanji wrong a bunch in apprentice?, and taking frequent lesson breaks?

1 Like

Just curious, how much do people practice to achieve level speed of 10-15 days especially on higher levels? I practice every day, once a day and I am nowhere near that mark. The vocabulary stage at the end of each level is especially tough with hundreds of lessons being thrown at you, that takes me the longest time. Here is an example stat screenshot:

2 Likes

@FennelFox For sure! Thank you ^^
@Saida Before seeing this thread I didn’t know about wkstats, so I’d no idea what my accuracy was. I’m definitely not taking on enough lessons! I’m always paranoid I don’t really know the content. I’d a long break when I lived in Japan recently. When I came back, I think it took me a month alone to clear my reviews list o.O

2 Likes

いいんだぞ!

2 Likes

I went a bit overboard on the vocabulary today.
I knew half already. I just kept going.
Then I saw the radicals… Oh well, do those too then.
plus 4 kanji because that last radical needs to be in too, but meh, let’s just throw in the 4 kanji with the 5 total lesson…

I have a lot of reviews. just 162 apprentice though

5 Likes

Something that is very beneficial for me is hitting the early SRS stages quite precisely. Doing lessons in the morning, really hitting as close as possible to that first review 4 hours later, and really trying to hit the next review point 8 hours after that. So if you have time to up the review moments to two or three times a day, that could potentially help you take in the material faster.

If I remember a new word during the Apprentice SRS stages, it’s much more likely for me to stick in the long haul. Knowing the kanji of a level well then snowballs into making the vocab easier, since a reasonable percentage of vocab lessons are jukugo words.

If you’re in a position to run scripts, the self-study script plus the additional filters script can be extremely useful. They allow you to practice, among other things, your leeches, or items you got wrong on your last review. It can be great extra practice. :+1:

Some scripts also let you decide what kind of reviews you do in a batch, so if you don’t have time to clear you reviews, you can use that to only do the items in low SRS stages, which benefit most from being reviewed as soon as they are available.

And I see it’s your first post in the Community. Welcome! :smiley: You live here now

9 Likes

Thanks! Especially for the script links!

3 Likes

UPD: Lvl 12, haven’t marked the time, roughly 10 days.

2 Likes

Hey, @FennelFox ! I don’t have the member status yet and I would like to join

3 Likes

Level Up! Could someone please update the table to show me at level 14, with speed as 25 days, please? Many thanks.

3 Likes

Congrats @JoJoJapan and @SuperEyeRoller on leveling!
@Dillweedss, welcome! I’ve added you to the race! Go fight win!

I’ve got you all updated/added.

5 Likes

Many thanks!

I used to be @spleen and now I’m @JoJoJapan - I joined at level 13. Sorry to cause extra work.

2 Likes

直した。

2 Likes

ありがとうございました。

2 Likes

I was pretty frustrated Monday night about my inability to distinguish transitive and intransitive verbs, and also my realization that I can’t recall what I’m learning if I’m not on the platform, so I decided to take Tuesday off to recharge. However, by the end of the night, I couldn’t sleep and saw I had like, 75 reviews and 26 lessons, so I logged on and took care of business. Streak is still intact, despite my best attempts to take a day off, lol.

4 Likes

Had my first level-up 2 days ago since my reset to level 13! It has been around 3 months since I last levelled up…
I will try to keep levelling up in 10-12 days with just 2 times lessons/reviews a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. I hope it’ll work out that way! (I did 3 times a day before my reset and it was just too stressful for me, my priority is now to quietly eat my lunch during lunchbreak and yeah take a break from work instead of studying with wanikani.)

2 Likes

That confused me a lot too, and what really helped me was this:

She doesn’t use the terms transitive and intransitive and it’s not really needed to use those words. The way she speaks can be a bit annoying, but she is like on point with the explanation. I am currently following the whole lesson series from the start, and it’s so much easier to understand if you also know WHY something works a certain way, rather than “this is how it works, learn this”.
So I highly recommend this to anyone struggling with grammar points.

She also has a good video on the difference between は and が

8 Likes

Hi @FennelFox! I’m on level 4 now. Still no speed, yet :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Ah, ok! Makes sense.

1 Like

Congrats on leveling! Great work!
You do not have to report your speed, but if you want to, you can get it. There are links up in the first post.

I just saw that you are an actual olympian! That’s amazing!!! What event(s?) do you do? Good luck in training for Tokyo!

2 Likes