Quick question about 氷

For 氷, why is it こおり and not こうり?

I also noticed the same for 十日

Thanks in advance!!

1 Like

Because こおり and とおか are native Japanese words not words derived from Chinese-derived on readings. As a general rule, う is used to extend the お syllable in on readings where as お is used for kun readings.

15 Likes

Oh I see that clears it up really nicely. Thanks!!

2 Likes

Also, they used to write stuff differently - words with the same pronunciations were written with different kana. Basically think of it as Shakespearean English - spelling wasn’t standardised, so people just made up whatever they wanted.

In 1946, the post-WWII government basically sat down and went “no, this is daft - make everything consistent, already”. So, words that used to be spelt ~あう or ~おふ or ~をふ became ~おう, while words that were spelt ~おほ or ~おを became ~おお. And yeah, を used to be used in words, not just as a particle.

(Also, at the same time, all 二段 verbs became 一段, and all 四段 verbs became 五段. Fun fact. And ゐ and ゑ became obsolete.)

24 Likes

Interesting

Wow, I didn’t know they standardised a lot of the language relatively recently. Thanks for the insight!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.