Remembering long o spelling

How on earth do you remember the hiragana spelling of long o readings? Specifically readings that have おう and おお. Most readings seem to default to おう but the exceptions like 大きい and 氷 are killing me. Is there a difference in pronunciation that I’m not hearing? Or am I going to have to brute force the hiragna of these kinds of words.

3 Likes

おお spellings only occur in kun’yomi readings (as far as I know). Other than this rule you’ll have to remember the readings individually,

6 Likes

There are relatively few of these おお spellings in my experience, the ones that come to mind are 氷(こおり), 炎(ほのお) and, of course, as you pointed out, 大 and in various words.

Those words are all fairly common so they’ll just “stick” eventually through sheer repetition.

Beyond that as you point out the long o is almost always as おう (or のう、こう、もう etc…).

So yeah, you’ll have to “bruteforce” those exceptions but the good news is that there aren’t going to be many of them.

6 Likes

Also 通る and 遠い, and also 頬, though WaniKani doesn’t cover that one.

But yeah. Long O is almost always ~おう.

3 Likes

I actually didn’t know 頬! 通る/通り and 遠い are indeed super common too.

十日 is another one

4 Likes

Japanese counting is just a prank for newcomers, there’s no point in learning that.

4 Likes

What do you mean by this? I would think counting common things like days and people is pretty imporatant.

I’m joking because Japanese counting is super irregular and annoying.

1 Like

Might be worth making your own mnemonic for those, if wanikani’s aren’t sticking. For 氷 for example, since I don’t know anyone named Corey, I just go with coriander instead (imagining someone really drawing out the o). Anyone interested in some frozen cooriander?