Potential Error in Radical Listing?

I noticed that it says that " 久" is made up of “勹” and “丿”, but isn’t it actually made up of " 入" and “丿”? I don’t see how “勹” is a part of it, especially when it looks so much more like “入” is in it.

2 Likes

It’s the part on the left. If you leave off the last stroke (on the bottom right), see how it sort of looks like a squashed-up ク? That’s the 勹 part, and the 丿 is that bottom right leg.

2 Likes

Often radical are displayed in kanji with lots of distortion. There are many kanji where I “see” different radicals. I don’t pay much attention to this because with SRS I will see the kanji so many times that either the Wanikani description will click or I will remember the meaning without using radicals…

3 Likes

There’s no “correct” answer anyway, so they presumably went with whatever they wanted to make a mnemonic for.

8 Likes

If anything, it’s more like 人 than 入…

But yeah, they’re mnemonic components only rather than official definitions.

4 Likes

But isn’t it closer to 入 than 丿?

So why not just use whatever radical looks closer to avoid confusion?

When i look at it I see 勹 and 丿, so doing it with 入 would have very much confused me. Its a matter of perception, but what they have chosen isnt an error.

You can also make your own story up with what you see. It’s what I do when I have a hard time absorbing theirs.

If you don’t mind me asking, why do you see it with the slide radical instead of the enter radical? What helps you remember that it has a leg on the right, then?

Aside from anything else, when the “enter” radical is hand-written, it looks like this:

17-1-hairu-kanji-pic

It pretty much stops resembling 久 at all.

2 Likes

i’m just gonna be honest and say I don’t think they look anything alike so it’s hard for me to help. : ( I dont see 入 at all, even when you point it out. sorry!

But even if you don’t see it that way, what is it in your mind that helps you remember the right leg of the radical?

Welcome to the forums!

Your username is だが断る
I felt so accomplished when I learned the grammar and kanji behind this phrase, since someone told me this phrase first!

I hope your Japanese studies prove to be the same way.

I haven’t learned that kanji yet, but every time I have seen it, such as in threads about it moving, it looks like a ク with an extra \

So wouldn’t it be easier to learn it as the person radical instead of a slide icon with an extra leg, then?

Thanks! I made this my username because of the JoJo reference, but also because, oddly enough, when I started Japanese I would then, and still now, feel like I’m in every few days, and that maybe I should give up. However, reminding myself of the phrase “Daga Kotowaru” gives me the mentality that helps me the most, for some reason: Not learning for self-betterment, but because I simply refuse to give up, and doing something that seems to hard just for the sake of shoving it in the language’s face is satisfying to me. Don’t know why, but it works XD

2 Likes

Really in the end what you need to learn is 久 as one entire unit. 勹+丿 is intended only as a mnemonic, a temporary scaffold on which you can build your understanding, but when push comes to shove, 久 is not actually comprised of any collection of simpler radicals. If a different mnemonic makes more sense to you, then go with that - it sounds like a bit of a tautology, but in the end, the best mnemonic to use is the one that works best for you.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.