Visit the radical info pages!

So it’s only a little thing, but this might help some people so putting it out there.

Whenever I got a kanji wrong from mistaking it for a similar kanji, I would bring up a word doc, throw both of them in, set them to size 72 and nail down a mnemonic that differentiates them.

While that’s one tip in itself, I want to tell people how helpful the radical info pages are. Of course, with some radicals there are tons of kanji, but when it’s a radical that has <10 kanji, it’s a really helpful perspective to see all the kanji using that radical side by side.

I only started looking at them recently. But now the first thing I do when I get a kanji wrong through mistaking it for another kanji, is scroll down on the review page, and open in another tab the particular shared radical causing confusion.

Those radical pages are a good resource which you might not be using even though it could be helpful so give them a look sometimes!

12 Likes

Good idea! I have been having some trouble with 踊る and 躍る lately. Same reading different meaning. I have been trying to pay better attention to the element on the right, so hopefully I will get it right next time.

1 Like

This is a great tip!

Another thing that I love is the keisei semantic-phonetic composition extension. It offers a little more info on the radicals, that is, which kanji share the same readings, so it’s another good way of comparing them.

This is a really good idea! I use the visually similar kanji for same reason but sometimes it doesn’t even show the other kanji there from what I want to tell apart,

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.