Small feedback regarding radical names

I started using the site today as I’ve been running through your tofugu guide, and a problem I’ve run into is that I’m getting radical names mixed up with katakana.

For example:
ハ came up in the katakana guide with a mnemonic of ha for hat, because it’s shaped like a hat. So when I got to fins in wanikani, guess what happened? I typed in hat.
Then there’s toe, which looks like ト, and I typed to which it didn’t like.

The first one maybe there’s a reason for that I’m unaware of, but the second one seems like it could give some leeway since I clearly have the right answer, just spelling it differently. Just feels like there needs to be some consolidation since both sites are run by the same people (I believe? Fairly sure that was stated in the tofugu guide), maybe allow us to add our own words so I can have hat as an alternative to fins to prevent confusion.

And now it wants me to wait 15 hours for another review which will just be toe and fins again because of this. Very frustrating and needlessly slowing progress due to the system.

I’ve done that before with 二. What I ended up doing is to add the other spellings/meanings as a synonym so I will get it right even if I say “ni” instead of “two”.

3 Likes

You’re talking about having the same mnemonic for two different things. The radical mnemonic is meant to help you remember its ‘meaning’. If you just used its pronunciation, that works defeat the whole purpose.
You see the ハ radical in a kanji, and it’s a hint that the kanji probably relates to fins, or a similar concept, somehow. Remembering hat would defeat the purpose.
And yeah, it’s slow now, but you’ll be overloaded and begging for mercy before too long. If you could just do reviews and lessons whenever you want, you wuld ruin the point of SRS. The thing this entire site is based on.

1 Like

Aye, there’s a number of radicals that are identical to katakana characters, and that connection never gets drawn. If you like, you can add the katakana reading (or mnemonic, if you want) as a synonym, but keep in mind when he starts teaching kanji which use that radical, he’s going to be using his own names in the mnemonics.

Wait till you get to the kanji 夕 and the reading is not た. That trips me up every time it comes up when I’m trying to answer them all quickly.

5 Likes

“Is 夕 read た?”
“no u”
“Thanks!”

I want to have this conversation in real life but it probably won’t happen so here we are

6 Likes

The obvious response here is “Ta!”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.