[Poll] Possible review enhancements?

I just made another userscript that displays the SRS level of the item I’m reviewing. I’m not gonna lie: if I get the last kanji before levelling up wrong, I will ignore that. Seems ridiculous to me to wait another couple of days for a tiny mistake. And that’s the beauty of the SRS: it always comes back, so no harm. Below is a screen shot of an item about to level up to Guru.

But it seemed a bit silly to release this as a stand-alone script. So I wanted to ask you guys what you think could enhance the review experience!

Maybe I could make some sort of Review Enhancement Suite, including the suggestions of others. Of course people would be able to customize what enhancements would work for them.

Idea list:
 - Include a search bar that would take you straight to the information page of a kanji/vocab. I hate it when the mnemonic says “you already learned that in X”. I always have to open a tab, go to wanikani.com and search from the dashboard. This would make things a bit more user friendly.

-…?

SO WHAT DO YOU THINK?!

It’s not on ShotgunLagoon’s userscript list, so you probably didn’t know about this:
https://greasyfork.org/scripts/705-wanikani-show-level

If I remember right, it shows the SRS level in the upper-right during reviews, like “Apprentice (3)”, where 3 is the numeric SRS level.
---------------------

I like the styling on your script above.  What does it look like for Guru and above?

Personally, I prefer small single-purpose scripts (like what you have above) over multi-function ones.  Easier to customize, easier to install only the features you want, etc.
---------------------

One script I considered doing a while back:  On the various pages where it shows which kanji are used in a vocab, if the user hovers over a kanji, show a popup with the kanji info, so you don’t have to navigate to the kanji page.

rfindley said...One script I considered doing a while back:  On the various pages where it shows which kanji are used in a vocab, if the user hovers over a kanji, show a popup with the kanji info, so you don't have to navigate to the kanji page.
 Ohhh! I really like that idea! I always look at the future vocab on the lesson page to see if I already know them. I'll guess at the reading and hover over to see if I'm right (and I feel like a badass when I am). It'd be nice if I didn't have to open new tabs to see even more details. Or could you be talking about something else?
rfindley said... I like the styling on your script above.  What does it look like for Guru and above?

Personally, I prefer small single-purpose scripts (like what you have above) over multi-function ones.  Easier to customize, easier to install only the features you want, etc.

![](upload://1fnlo316a4DbbsnEb2wbv8lP2YM.png)

It may not be very clear on this one, but it's supposed to be a single circle in "enlightenment blue". So for guru it would display 2 circles in pink and for all other levels, just one circle with the border in the appropriate colour.
KuroiTsuki said...
rfindley said...One script I considered doing a while back:  On the various pages where it shows which kanji are used in a vocab, if the user hovers over a kanji, show a popup with the kanji info, so you don't have to navigate to the kanji page.
 Ohhh! I really like that idea! I always look at the future vocab on the lesson page to see if I already know them. I'll guess at the reading and hover over to see if I'm right (and I feel like a badass when I am). It'd be nice if I didn't have to open new tabs to see even more details. Or could you be talking about something else?
 Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about:
* Vocab on kanji lessons
* Kanji on vocab lessons
* Kanji on individual item pages
* ... probably missing a few other places.
rfindley said...
KuroiTsuki said...
 Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about:
* Vocab on kanji lessons
* Kanji on vocab lessons
* Kanji on individual item pages
* ... probably missing a few other places.
 'Twould be a godsend. I'd love it.

i agree with rfindley on single-purpose scripts over multifunction ones. i think kiko’s wanikani customizer extension includes a script that collapses quotes in the forums which is hella convenient, but i don’t use the other features and there aren’t any options to turn them off, so i don’t use it.

how does it work with ethan’s double check script since it also adds a button in that spot?

ShotgunLagoon said... i agree with rfindley on single-purpose scripts over multifunction ones. i think kiko's wanikani customizer extension includes a script that collapses quotes in the forums which is hella convenient, but i don't use the other features and there aren't any options to turn them off, so i don't use it.

how does it work with ethan's double check script since it also adds a button in that spot?
 It would push one of the boxes (depending on which script loads first) to the next line and the width of the boxes would be unpleasant to the eyes.

Boy oh boy, am I glad I didn't release this for realz yet. Found a huge bug yesterday and now I've gotta take other scripts into account. Unfortunately that's gonna make that 'row of buttons' very crowded.

I first tried to put it in the bottom right corner of the 'item box' (below the statistics) but that was too distracting and didn't work very well with the coloured background. A new button seemed the most elegant solution.

Posted the SRS indicator at /t/Userscript-Wanikani-Review-SRSLevel-Indicator/11382/1

I also added Shotty’s suggestion involving the double check script. I don’t see the point in using it, but there are people who do, so I’ll support it anyway. It only requires the easiest of script editing.

The one thing about knowing what level it is, is that it often passively cheats me when I am confusing two words, but I know one is not in appreciate and one is. I still use it.

Yes please to your script idea that would get rid of and leave no trace of “You learned this reading before”

Things I would love would be, and I do not know if it is possible, but when you get an answer wrong you could hit a button and it would turn the answer correct and add what you typed to the user synonyms. Nothing frustrates me more than when I type in something like “hate” as an answer and wanikani is like “lol no, its hatred, idiot”.

Another thing is to turn the input system into more of a Iknow.jp like experience so I could review while have terrible posture and not have to sit up and type. So instead of having to type in, it would ask, do you know this? No, it shows the answer and its marked wrong, Yes, it shows the answer and its marked right, and after the Yes button there is a review button which will mark the answer wrong if you what you thought was the answer was wrong. I know typing in helps, but its so much faster to go through things like Iknow and Anki. I know I could migrate wanikani to anki but I like the site.

AlexAlex saidThings I would love would be, and I do not know if it is possible, but when you get an answer wrong you could hit a button and it would turn the answer correct and add what you typed to the user synonyms. Nothing frustrates me more than when I type in something like "hate" as an answer and wanikani is like "lol no, its hatred, idiot".

That would indeed be useful. But is it possible? No idea.

Another thing is to turn the input system into more of a Iknow.jp like experience so I could review while have terrible posture and not have to sit up and type. So instead of having to type in, it would ask, do you know this? No, it shows the answer and its marked wrong, Yes, it shows the answer and its marked right, and after the Yes button there is a review button which will mark the answer wrong if you what you thought was the answer was wrong. I know typing in helps, but its so much faster to go through things like Iknow and Anki. I know I could migrate wanikani to anki but I like the site.
Maybe you're looking for this? /t/Userscript-Wanikani-Anki-Mode/8399/1

Mempo said...
AlexAlex saidThings I would love would be, and I do not know if it is possible, but when you get an answer wrong you could hit a button and it would turn the answer correct and add what you typed to the user synonyms. Nothing frustrates me more than when I type in something like "hate" as an answer and wanikani is like "lol no, its hatred, idiot".

That would indeed be useful. But is it possible? No idea.

Maybe you're looking for this? /t/Userscript-Wanikani-Anki-Mode/8399/1

This script is amazing! Thanks!