Please let us add our own content

He also said they have no time to do it right now.

3 Likes

Is there a way for hou hou to save or transfer data? I am worried that all the work I put in on my laptop is untransferrable.

1 Like

Just FYI, if there are any scripters interested in doing so, the Open Framework now supports the ability to pull from external data sources, and the Self-Study Quiz (which uses the framework) would automatically support that external data if it was added.

So, all it would take to make this happen is for someone to take a Core2k or Core10k deck and format the records in the same format as Wanikaniā€™s /subjects endpoint, which is fairly simple. And about a dozen lines of code to tell the Framework how to find those items, which I would gladly write if someone wants to do the data formatting.

So, itā€™s not nearly as much work as it would otherwise be. But, of course, it wouldnā€™t be integrated into the SRS. (Though SRS would be another relatively easy feature to add externally to the Self-Study Quiz).

4 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty awesome. Iā€™ve never looked into the Open Framework. Iā€™m assuming getting rid of the options in the self-study quiz so it is entirely WK-like is also doable?

I noticed that the self-study quiz has some visual differences with the original website (notably the text input bar). Any plans to make them the same? I dont know what that would entail :thinking:.

Whatā€™s different about the input text bar? (I donā€™t have reviews anymore, soā€¦)

Anyway, it could be made more WK-like, but Iā€™m not planning to do much more with it, other than a few tweaks and bug fixes since the new version came out a few days ago.

If this feature gets implemented we should also implement a feature where I can tell people how bad their content is

16 Likes

Anything to be able to add our own content.

Just the styling is different, like the dark box around the input in your script does not exist in the official page. But thatā€™s just me being nit-picky, I guess.

Just use HouHou. You can have the same UI, intervals, and radicals while adding whatever you want.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve discussed adding profession related kanji to this with several here. Just the recording of audio is a massive undertaking. Hereā€™s a slight work around perhaps? In the comments section for each kanji add one, two or three kanji you want that could or could not be associated with the WK existing kanji. Works for me. If I establish that when I use a kanji for blood, for example, Iā€™ll need the one for doctor, hospital and insurance for example Iā€™ll add them with hiragana or katakana pronounciation. If I donā€™t remember them as well after I first see a new kanji, the next time I intentionally mark it wrong to study it. You can add slang and, er, impolite words or even phrases YOU might want to use in context with those kanji while ALSO including minor grammar points or even a sentence or two you know you will need with that kanji. No one ever said you couldnā€™t highjack the SRS system. Use it. Tie an associated use or purpose as described above into it. No one will ever question your dedication to learn with a purpose, and if you ask incredibly simple questions about grammar or vocabulary go ahead. You might want to start out every post you make with ć‚ˆć‚ć—ććŠć­ćŒć„ć—ć¾ć™ so you feel you arenā€™t jumped on when you make a suggestion. It can get a little tense when you roll up in the manner you have when everyone is dressed in their favorite outfits being all cool and stuff, ammiright?

So, as a disclaimer, I havenā€™t personally tried either of these scripts (and one of them is really old, so Iā€™m not sure if it even still works), but maybe one of these will fit your needs?

Do you have to pay a membership on Memrise to use the SRS flashcard feature?

This is a good idea IF you mean adding vocabulary constructed out of the kanji meanings and readings of kanji youā€™ve just guruā€™d with the specific intention of reinforcing those meanings and readings.

If you just mean adding any old vocabulary on a whim then no, itā€™s a bad idea.

I understand that maybe anki isnā€™t your thing. Houhou on the other hand is basically Wanikani the dictionary. Did you have specific problem with it?

1 Like

Might want to be careful with your wording, because Iā€™m pretty sure I could write you a 10,000 word essay describing the number of reasons not to add such a system. How many of those reasons are actually significant enough to warrant forgoing such an addition? That would be entirely subjective.

Because that would require an enormous amount of work on the part of the staff.

While I donā€™t think itā€™s an intentional step, you do bring up a good point in that adding your own items, even if implemented, shouldnā€™t be allowed until level 60. Since the system is designed already to avoid placing too much content into one level, itā€™s a valid argument that it isnā€™t economical to have such a system from an educational perspective.

Level 15 is so early into the program and is still incredibly limiting on what you can actually utilize. I would say level 25, at the minimum, if not simply 60 to avoid confliction with the standard SRS.

Thatā€™s just poor forum etiquette. Thereā€™s no reason to have multiple posts about the same topic, and your asking Mods and Admins to force-merge or delete threads with that suggestion.

As for my own opinion, I donā€™t think thereā€™s an reason for WaniKani to add this from a realistic perspective. People with enough motivation to actually learn more than what WaniKani teaches are already going to be looking for and utilizing listening and grammar resources. Even if you donā€™t live in Japan, itā€™s not difficult to find reading material (just try exhausing Japanese Wikipedia) and to make a spreadsheet document in Google Sheets to compile words.

Such is why, should a system be implemented, Iā€™d say it should be done at Level 60, when users have exhausted all new material from the standard SRS and, most likely, have studied/are studying enough grammar to be able to simply absorb new kanji and words without an SRS system. Of course, the low number of people who reach level 60 proportionately and the likelihood they use external study sources, the resources necessary to design a system would heavily outweigh its potential use.

10 Likes

Extremely unlikely anytime soon as (Iā€™m assuming) their hands are full with developing EtoEto

I like HouHou but you canā€™t get it on mobile.

3 Likes

The anticipation is killing me.

2 Likes

Ah, thatā€™s why. Hopefully the dudeā€™s working on it.

1 Like

By the time itā€™s out we wonā€™t even need it

5 Likes

That made me chuckle.

I donā€™t know man. I kind of hope itā€™s the missing part of the puzzle. Grammarā€™s kicking my ass right now. Iā€™m slowly making progress but I donā€™t enjoy it anywhere near as much as WK, anki sentences or anime.

1 Like