Pembo's Pokemon adventure - (Solo bookclub ポケットモンスター SPECIAL!)

Chapter one completed with the reading of pages 16 17 and 18!

I thought I lost these yesterday, but clearly not! Hurrah, that saves me a bit of work!

Handwritten Notes

Page 16

Plot:
Red is consoling his hurt Polywhirl. The other trainer offers Red some words of advice. He knew the mysterious Pokemon was too strong, so withdrew Charmander. If you over estimate your abilities, you’ll end up self destructing.

Vocab:

• しっかりしろ - "Hold on!
  • あまえ - you
  • 攻撃こうげき - attack
  • - difference
  • 手を引くてき - to withdraw
  • 実力以上じつりょくいじょう - beyond one’s ability
  • 自滅じめつ - self destruct

Grammar:

Interesting Sentence:
オレは2回の攻撃でレベルの差を見切った。

Another sentence I struggled to make sense of but in essence it’s “I saw the difference in power after that second attack”. After being shown how it breaks down, it’s pretty simple but I had some kind of block when I saw this in the book.

I (topic) (with/at the second attack) (the difference in level) (clearly perceived)

Page 17

Plot:
The mysterious Pokemon flies off into the night, as the strange men from earlier swarm the forest. They see Red and one begins to chastise Red before being reminded that finding the Pokemon (apparently called Mew) is their mission.

Vocab:

• 焼け野原やけのはら - burnt field
  • 放っておけほうっておけ - leave [him] alone
  • それより - more importantly
  • ミュウ - Mew
  • 了解 - roger/understood

Grammar:

Interesting Sentence:
放っておけ!それよりもミュウだ!

My translation - “Leave him alone! Mew is more important!”

Page 18

Plot:
Forlorn, Red heads towards the lab of Dr Orchid. Showing some humility after his defeat, he realises that maybe this cranky old man could teach him a thing or two…

Vocab:

• カンゴ - stubborn/obstinate, Red is insulting Dr Orchid here
  • くやしい - frustrated (because of a defeat/inconvenience)

Grammar:

Interesting Sentence:
へんくつでガンコなじじいときいてたから、今まで近づかなかったけど。。。

My translation “He’s just a stuborn, eccentric old man, that’s why I’ve never approached him before…”

3 Likes