Pembo's Pokemon adventure - (Solo bookclub ポケットモンスター SPECIAL!)

Aren’t they making you a pass so you mention your proyect? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes
Projects

My code that utilizes Mokuro wouldn’t be applicable here.

Mokuro itself would be, but it’s also more difficult to get up and running.

Copyfish is quick and easy to set up and use with little computer experience, so I took the opportunity to mention that project =D

2 Likes

Why? :thinking:

2 Likes

Mokuro does OCR, which is helpful for the situation of distinguishing っ from つ (the topic presented above). No fancy frills or extra needed beyond that.

To ensure we’re still on topic, here’s a ヒトカゲ:

3 Likes

(はじ)く. You can check with Yomichan or the like.

• (まち) + はずれ (outskirts)
  • 偏屈(へんくつ) – Well, first suggested in IME. biased + submission
  • たとえ~(.) = in case something happens. I think it is (たと)え. Probably a grammar point too.
2 Likes

Heeeeeeee’s back! I had a very busy weekend and then took some time off work where I tried to have a big mental reset. That meant little to no studying, but the passion still burns so hopefully I can get everything typed up before I go to the pub!

Handwritten Notes

Page 9

Plot:
Red says goodbye to the kids and proceeds to walk in the other direction. Red starts to ponder that maybe this Dr Orchid might be all he’s cracked up to be…as he’s lost in his own thoughts, Red bumps into a strangely dressed man, who proceeds to chastise Red for being clumsy.

Vocab:

• 小僧こぞう - boy/child, used in a disparaging/chastising way. (the strange man shouts ‘BE CAREFUL KID’)
  • あんな - kind of. I’m guessing this is related to こんな (あんな = that kind of, こんな = this kind of?)

Grammar:

• ら - used as a plural, I think. context in the interesting sentence.

Interesting Sentence:
?あんな奴らこの町にいたかな。

My Translation - “I wonder what these guys are doing in town”.

Spoiled for choice this page, there’s basically only one sentence of note.

I’m guessing the ら after 奴 turns it into a plural?

Page 10

Plot:
Red hides in the grass nearby and spies on the strange men, and spots a bunch of モンスターボール - monster balls/pokeballs on their belts. We then see my favourite panel in the comic so far.

Red continues to spy on the strange men and we see a R on their uniform. The ‘leader’ seems to be talking about a pokemon that went missing in the area, a 幻のポケモン - phantom/illusion pokemon! They haven’t yet checked the forest to the west, so they’re gonna check it out tonight…

Vocab:

• こいつら - these guys (another way of saying it!)
  • げる - to escape, to flee
  • 間違いない - “I have no doubt”/“I’m sure” - set phrase, literally “no mistake”
  • なんだそりゃ - “what’s that?”, set phrase
  • 徹底てってい - thorough (used in 徹底調査, coincidentally I learned 調査 a day or too ago on WK! who said WK was rubbish for vocab!

Grammar:

• 逃げこんだ - so this is a mix of 逃げる and こんだ (込んだ), which is understand is to change the first verb ‘inward’. Instead of just getting lost generally, the pokemon got lost in this area

Interesting Sentence:
まださがしてない場所は西側の森か!

My translation - [We] haven’t checked the forest to the west yet!

Yet - searched - not - place that is west - forest Feels good to read sentences this long, not sure where I picked up さがす before but I managed to read this hear (maybe just the context?)

Blurry bonus panel!

3 Likes

This is correct.

Looks like you’re getting plenty of exposure to this use of ら!

Supplemental reading:

2 Likes

Where did you get the “what … are doing”?

Can you break it down?

1 Like

I literally translated as “these guys were in town? I wonder” いた just being the past conjugation of いる。And then just made it sound more natural in English.

How should it be read?

Yeah, it’s more like that.

Emphasizing the question of “guys like that” being in “this town”.

I’d probably go with something like: “Those guys were here/in this town, huh?”

It doesn’t change the overall meaning much, but maybe the reason behind it.

1 Like
Page 11

Plot:
Red realises he’s inadvertantly heard some exciting information and runs off while claiming he’s gonna be the first person to catch the phantom Pokemon.

Later at night, Red is sneaking through the west forest, carrying a massive handful of Pokeballs (he’s taking no risks it seems). Pleased that the mysterious men haven’t showed up yet, Red wonders where the phantom pokemon could be. As he picks up a dropped ball, something catches his eye…

Vocab:

• とやら - “or something”/“so called” are similar phrases in English, you’re passing on second hand information
  • しめしめ - “alright!”/“I’ve got it”, basically a little cheer at something going your way
  • さあーて/さあて - “now then”/“well”, sentence connector, stating what the next thing in the plan is

Grammar:

• ちゃう - I believe this is the casual/short form of しまう, added to verbs to state it’s to completion or by accident. It’s in Genki 2 so I’ll quickly review that chapter before bed. Used twice on this page

Interesting Sentence:
さあーて、幻のポケモンちゃんはドコかなあ~?

My translation - “Now then, where’s that phantom Pokemon?..” Pretty straight forward sentence but Red uses katakana for a lot of words. Two instances on this page. ドコ in this sentence and in panel 3 "イタダイちゃう” in place of “いただいちゃう”.

さあて, sounds like a really useful phrase. I think studying a list of connecting words is probably a useful thing to do soon, it’ll help my currently stale/wooden production of sentences.

I like how Red is getting playful around catching this new Pokemon, calling it chan.

2 Likes

images

2 Likes

I used to play the Gen 1 games fervently and a couple of years back read a bit of the Pokemon Adventures manga. From what I know the manga aligns with the Red edition where you have Red (Ash) and Blue (Gary). The anime is loosely based on Pokemon Yellow I believe. (Wikipedia article: Pokémon (TV series) - Wikipedia)

Here I might be off, but I do believe you can catch Polywag early on in Pokemon Red and evolve it into Polywhirl (level 25) or even catch an underleveled Polywhirl in the wild.

4 Likes

I thought Pokemon Yellow was based on the anime?

The games came first (Green/Blue in JP, Red/Blue in the west), then the anime, then Yellow based off the anime (and to coincide with the movie).

2 Likes

Ah, you are completely right! Just found the other article specifically about the game and it mentions that. Thanks for the correction :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is also Yellow in manga, but not sure how it correlates with the game. Also that’s as far as I have read in my native language.

3 Likes

Slight correction here: Japan had Red/Green first (which were really buggy), then later had a special Blue edition (which fixed many bugs, had all new sprites/graphics, and a redesigned Cerulean Cave).

For the western release, they took Blue’s codebase and graphics, and took the distribution of Pokemon (wild Pokemon, in-game trade Pokemon, game center prize Pokemon) from Red/Green, and made those into Red and Blue.

(This resulted in an issue where you trade someone a Raichu in Red/Green, but you send them a trade-evolve Pokemon in Blue. In the English version, you trade this person a Raichu, and he says the Pokemon evolved after the trade. Oops.)

Yellow fixed even more bugs, added calls to the anime, new graphics, new Cerulean Cave, etc.

Along these lines, Green (Gary) and Blue in this manga series had their names swapped for the western release to be Blue (Gary) and Green.

6 Likes

I have become fluent overnight and managed to read 4 pages today. It’s nothing to do with the fact these are action pages and probably have about 5 words each on them, no sir.

Handwritten Notes

Page 12

Plot:
Red seens another boy in the forest. He’s facing off against a shining, floating Pokemon. The boy then sends out his own Pokemon to battle, a ヒトカゲ - Charmander! Red is suprised to see the boy is a pokemon trainer, as Charmander attacks with a flame attack!

Vocab:

• ヒトカゲ - Charmander, the first Pokepun I’ve got. ヒト = heat, カゲ = shadow, shape

Grammar:

Interesting Sentence:
夕方のあいつらの仲間かな、クソ!

My translation - Couldn’t parse this. I knew all the words but the use of の twice kinda confused me.

Evening’s guys’ companion ? Damn!

I got some nice help on the forums though and we established it means “A companion from the guys this evening? Damn!” Red is annoyed that the mysterious men from earlier had gotten there before him.

Page 13

Plot:
Charmander and the other Pokemon get into an epic battle, while Red stares in disbelief. Red can name the Charmander but has no idea what the shining Pokemon is…(Red should have read the title of this chapter)

Vocab:

• あっち - over there, I think I came across this doing a 2k deck, but it’s the first time reading it so it alluded me

Grammar:

• I’ll address the grammar point I have in the Interesting Sentence bit

Interesting Sentence:
こんな戦い方、見たことないぜ。

今まで見たことがないぞ。

My Translation(s) - “I’ve never seen a battle like this” - Red is in awe watching Charmander and the other Pokemon fight
“I’ve never seen before” - Red points out the other guy is using a Charmander, but wonders what that shining thing over there is.

Cheating today and picking two sentences as they both refer not seeing something before but use different grammar. I think I’ll ask about this in the grammar thread and get back with the results. I have a feeling it’s just casual chatter omitting particles…

Page 14

Plot:
The other trainer calls his Charmander back. Red jumps out of the bushes and starts to chastise him. “If it looks like you can win, you don’t quit”.

Vocab:

• ちまう - another form of てしまう

Grammar:

• [な]のに - even though/in spite of, another one of those grammar points I’ve done in Genki but never really come across in the wild. XのにY, it is Y despite X.

Interesting Sentence:
勝てそうなのに、なんでやめちまうんだようーーーー!!

My Translation - “You don’t quit if it looks like you’re winning”, literally translation “You are quitting even though you look like winning”. I guess the literal and the translated are both quite similar and look natural. Basically the only sentence of note on the page, but it brings up a good and useful grammar point.

Page 15

Plot:
Red sends out his Polywhirl to fight the shining Pokemon. Polwhirl can barely charge up his watergun before getting KO’d! Red stares in disbelief of the power of the mystery Pokemon as it flies off into the night sky.

Vocab:
No new vocab, there’s a few onomatopoeia and not much else of note.

Grammar:
There’s no sentence longer than a word on this page.

Interesting Sentence:
ニョロズ⁉

My Translation - “POLWHIRL?!” I always had a softspot for Water Pokemon in Gen 1, poor Polywhirl, your avarice got him hurt Red!

2 Likes

Yellow (manga character) <3

3 Likes

Sorry!

火蜥蜴
:fire: :lizard:

6 Likes