Letter 10

Orange :tangerine: Home Thread

Previous Part: Chapter 9
Next Part: Chapter 11

Reading

Start Date Chapter Page Numbers Page Count
Sep 24th Letter 10 53 - 88 36

Vocabulary List

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

5 Likes

That was a beautiful chapter. It’s worth reading just to get to this part.

4 Likes

Very sweet chapter, and I am glad that they are showing that saving Kakeru is not just about him and Naho getting together. That might help, but it’s also obviously a lot more complicated than that.

I’m also wondering now when Azu and Taka-chan will get involved … I hope that the fact that they’re not in the loop at the moment doesn’t divide them. And I also hope that if/when Naho tells them (at least a little of what is going on, maybe not the time travel part), that that doesn’t end up alienating Kakeru and making him feel ganged up on. Even when it’s well-meant, it’s not necessarily pleasant to have literally all your friends talking about you together behind your back.

On a less serious note, Naho's friends have a completely appropriate response:

:joy:

And now I’m finally doing my homework, too! Any and all assistance appreciated. :slight_smile:

page 72

In both instances (see highlighted text) I’m pretty confused by the use of できない.

page 82

Originally (as evidenced by the highlighting) I was confused by this entire page, but I noticed that this page might be a kind of response to page 72. So perhaps:

“No, it’s not that I worry what he thinks of me … just that, the emotions that he wants to communicate … I want to know …”

The last sentence fragment remains hazy, though.

3 Likes

Page 72:

You may already know this part, but mentioning just in case:

verb + て + も = even if (I do) verb

Putting the pieces together:

“Surely (きっと), for me 私には), even if (ても) I get (もらって) how(ever) many (何度) chances (チャンス), it is that it’s (んだ) a thing (事) I cannot do (できない), I thought (と思った).”

The next highlighted portion begins with the four characters on the prior panel:

“It’s just (ただ) ‘what will Kakeru think of me?’ ((かける)にどう思われるのか) is (が) (an) anxiety (不安), and (で) I couldn’t do it (できなかった)”

Worded differently: “I was anxious about what Kakeru would think, and I couldn’t do it.”

Note that here, I’m seeing で as the て form of だ. I don’t know if that’s correct, but if so then this reads essentially as two sentences joined together.

Note also that this is more like “What will I be thought of by Kakeru”, but I made it passive in my translation to try and make the English flow better, rather than trying to be closer to the Japanese.

Page 82:

As you noticed, the first highlighted portion is a call back to page 72. (Don’t you just hate it when the unknowns gang up on you like this? It’s like the first unknown was so popular that they went and made a sequel.)

This time, we have:

“It’s that (んだ) it’s not (じゃない) ‘What will (I be) thought of by Kakeru ((かける)にどう(おも)われるか)’.”

In other words, “The reason I couldn’t hand it over isn’t what I thought it was. That wasn’t really the reason.”

Fragment time!

First part: “Just (ただ), I want to tell (you) (伝えたい)…”

Second part: “I want (ほしい) (you) to understand (知って) my feelings (気持ち).”

Note: If you’re not familiar with verb + て + ほしい, that’s one to read up on. Essentially, it’s “I want you to (do verb)” or “I need you to (do verb)”.

Final part: “‘You (あなた) are (が) necessary (必要)’ can be considered (とされている) (こと) (を)”

I got a bit lazy on this last one (as it’s a fragment of a sentence), but if you don’t know と+させる then that’s another to read up on. It’s a way of saying the phrase or noun before it can be considered.

Let’s put the three together, and the gist of it is: “Just, I want to tell you, I want you to understand my feelings, that you are considered as necessary.”

4 Likes

Wow, thanks for breaking that down for me!! There was a lot going on there that I didn’t follow. (と+させる is new to me. And I guess I got those middle two fragments on page 82 sort of turned around in a way that had nothing to do with the actual grammar of the sentence. :sweat_smile: )

2 Likes

I felt like the last page of this chapter very much shows that they are the loop on a lot of it. The bigger question is Hagita.

Chapter spoilers

And honestly, I don’t know if I agree with you guys about this being a beautiful/sweet chapter. The end is sweet but also totally messed up. I’m so glad Kakeru has an ally like Suwa, who has the strength to handle this and also the personality that means he just goes for things.

Naho is doing better, but this chapter showed that she still have ways to go. Thinking it was okay not to answer because Kakeru said as much. :woman_facepalming: I guess I might have made that mistake as a teenager too. And I might have very well told someone that not answering was fine like Kakeru: no worries, you don’t have to say anything, but by not saying anything you are actually ripping my heart out of my chest and stomping on it, unintentionally.

I think part of my feelings for this chapter comes from being interrupted in the middle of it, so my feel for the whole thing is a bit disjointed.

I keep being so happy I am back to reading this, because the story is amazing. In many ways I look forward to being able to reread this in a couple of years, when each chapter doesn’t take me like 2 hours to read, and when I have an even better understanding of grammar so I can piece together things in a way that is more true to its actual meaning rather than a vaguely “I think this is it” and then turn out to have completely missed the nuances or even the complete meaning…

Reading @ChristopherFritz answers to @MaraVos’s questions made me realize I kinda didn’t get those sentences fully. But I thought I understood them well enough that I didn’t need to ask questions… Only I was not getting the true nuance at all. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes