On'yomi focus?

It’s pretty confusing that so many kanji are presented in a level that have the same on’yomi!! I’ve read しゅう as the reading for so many words it just makes it more confusing. Does this get any better?
On a slightly different note, why doesn’t the website specify on’yomi or kun’yomi reading like the third party app when asking?

1 Like

Nope! It gets easier, but not better

4 Likes

This is from the lesson screen.

That’s just a fact of life in studying Japanese. There are too many kanji that share readings to spread them all out so that you never run into the same readings in the same level.

1 Like

Oh yeah, when I study I just go to the kanji page and it shows both, but one is dulled out a bit. I didn’t realize that meant the lesson was only for the on or kun…
Thanks!

I find that the more words you know with the same reading, the easier it becomes to find the one that is being used in written text. Pitch might also be something you could use when listening to spoken language.

2 Likes

Wow!! I should look more at third party tools! The pitch one looks very helpful. I find myself not listening to the pronunciation often, so that could bring my focus to the subtleties of speech.

It’s script galore for this website, definitely have a look at this page

Also pro tip, if you need the snaziest scripts out there, visit some of those level 60 pages. The OP’s of those topics usually talk about the scripts that were most useful to them. @jprspereira made a collection of all those threads on the website.

4 Likes

There are 18 kanji with a reading of しゅう in WK; the most frequent reading here is しょう at 56… but you do start to get a handle on it as you progress.

Welcome and best of luck.

1 Like

And there’s sixty-six which use しょう, though admittely many of them use it as a secondary reading.

Ah! I was going off the data rfindley had pulled up for jprspereira a while ago…

Well, they’ve added a bunch of kanji since then, but admittedly, I just did a search for しょう and then just counted by eye, so maybe I got my tens column wrong.

Didn’t notice you’d mentioned しょう in your post…

1 Like

Japanese uses much fewer sounds than English, so homonyms (words that sound the same) are much more common.

If you look up しゅう in Jisho, you’ll find that there are 213 (!) kanji with that pronunciation.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.