Onyomi and kunyomi of kanjis

So I’ve been using wanikani for a while now and one thing that has bothered me to no end is how the system immediately flags your answer as incorrect if you try to answer a kunyomi question with an onyomi, while the same doesn’t happen if you try to answer an onyomi question with a kunyomi.

I’m pretty certain something like this shouldn’t be hard to implement. Is there really a point in being inconsistent on this matter?

There are no “kunyomi questions” and “onyomi questions” in that sense.

The pink items are kanji, and they can be taught with kunyomi or onyomi first, though onyomi is usually the reading taught. If you input the one that wasn’t taught in the lesson, you are asked to input the other, because the first guess wasn’t “wrong.” It might seem silly to ask for the original lesson’s reading when there are only two common readings. But when there are many readings, and some are rare, asking for the one taught makes sense. So they just always do that.

The purple items are words. They can also be either kunyomi or onyomi. But these usually only have one reading. Inputting the other reading is just wrong, because there isn’t a word that can be read that way.

For instance, the word 本 (meaning “book”) is read ほん, which is an onyomi. That’s a purple item, but it is not kunyomi. Typing a kunyomi for it, like もと, would just be wrong for the meaning of “book.”

10 Likes

You’re getting marked incorrect in one case because the vocabulary word doesn’t have multiple readings where as a kanji in isolation does.

Typing こう for the vocabulary word 口 is wrong as the reading is くち. But as a kanji itself, both readings are correct. This is the disconnect you seem to have.

2 Likes

There’s some exceptions that accept multiple answers in vocab, but usually there’s only one reading.

Kanji are setpieces. WK typically teaches one reading (sometimes two) that will be useful for future vocabulary with that kanji.

It will teach you another reading if it differs from the one you got taught during kanji reviews with vocab.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.