Online language school

Can someone recommend me please best online Japanese language school?
I want both a system and 1on1 or group lessons (depends on prices…).
As I know in Japan traditional language schools were pushed online due to corona so I wonder if someone had experience to study there.
Please don’t suggest me apps with recorded lessons, I need someone real to push me through this process…

GoGo Nihon has a list of online schools. They may or may not require you to take classes during time slots that align with Japan’s time zone.

Otherwise, I highly recommend finding an online tutor on iTalki. Lots of them will use a textbook as a guide if that’s what you want.

2 Likes

Do you speak Dutch? If so, Japanology is the best I know.

1 Like

I recommend 1 on 1 classes with italki teachers. You can find those who offer a course with a proper curriculum and homework.
The prices are usually 15-25 usd per hour.

3 Likes

You could try checking the Japanese embassy for your country? Or you might have a group or charity which is meant to promote Japanese culture - they’d probably offer lessons. It’ll be more expensive that Italki, but I prefer the structure and formality they offer. The teacher will lead a lot more of the learning, so you can focus on learning, rather than planning to learn (that’s what I think! I know there are a lot of self learners here and you all impress me)
Like, in the UK, there’s SOAS and International House which both offer Japanese classes.

2 Likes

Akita Inaka School has an online group / private lesson program (akitainakaschool.com). But as many others have suggested, it’s hard to beat iTalki… many have structured lessons. It may take a few tries to find a teacher you like though.

2 Likes

There are many resources that offer services like this.

JapanesePod101 offer a tutor and individual study lessons together for USD$23 a month ($4 / $10 without the tutor). However as others have mentioned, you can hire a tutor from iTalki who can walk you through a textbook (or their own curriculum). Alternatively, it may also be sensible to self-study and use iTalki exclusively for conversation practice and to get feedback on what you’re learning.

1 Like

You’ve gotten a lot of good suggestions here. Nice!

I’ve been using GenkiJACS online lessons, and I’m enjoying their format, which is a near immersion. They teach, when in a group, four 2-hour lessons each week, and the cost equates to approximately 15 USD an hour, but it’s all up-front.

Notes:

• The set schedule is an advantage for me, though it might be a disadvantage for others.
  • It’s a lot of time, but you’d hopefully be spending a lot of time with the language anyway.
  • The cost is generally up-front, rather than lesson-to-lesson.

They do also offer 1-to-1 lessons, but I haven’t looked at those, yet.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.