One year on WaniKani

Well, I’m finally at one year on WaniKani, and all I have to say is wow, I’m suprised at how much I’ve actually learned on here.

Considering I’m only starting level 27, I never thought I would still know so much, nearly 900 kanji and 3000 vocabulary in one year. It is truly amazing how well WaniKani works.

I guess I should say that it has been one year since I started my subscription of WaniKani, an annual subscription. The first 3 free levels actually took me a while, with level 3 being because I tried prioritising Katakana study but just kept putting it off. Eventually when I did complete level 3, I was pretty suprised at how well stuff was sticking in my head and was ready to commit. I’m pretty young and don’t have a job yet, but with the money I did have I spent on an annual subscription to WaniKani, and thus dedicated my life to the Crabigator
(Or at least one year of it).

I see a lot of people going at a very fast pace of 8 or 9 days per level and am baffled at their speeds, I tried matching it but really started getting low accuracy. So eventually, I just went at my own pace, and my accuracy went from about 80 percent to 90 percent.

My goal was to get to level 30 in one year, and unfortunately I fell short of that goal. It was mainly for one reason, that being I got super demotivated and tired when I started reaching the death levels. So many kanji and vocabulary from the previous levels came back to haunt me, and with my exams rapidly approaching I just had less and less motivation and time to keep a consistent pace. I nonetheless visited every single day and tried doing all of my reviews.

And now, here I am, still going at a fairly sluggish pace but still surviving. I do plan on spending more time on different Japanese apps, like Drops for vocabulary, Kanji Study for writing and I have bought a couple Japanese grammar books. I’ve found that Duolingo, despite its many flaws is still very helpful for putting words into some kind of context (albeit quite strange context).
I also plan on giving my worst enemy KaniWani another go, and probably rip my hair out in the process.

Here are my stats:

My goal for this next year is to reach at minimum level 55, but preferably getting to level 60. I do imagine I would probably stay on for a few months after to burn absolutely everything and of course get rid of my leeches (Can 総合 and 統合 please piss off?!)

Other than that, I will probably be interacting more in this community and reading more Japanese books as well as improving upon my listening skills. I’ve been more of the silent type in this community, liking posts but never replying, lol.

Also, to literally anyone who is starting out with WaniKani, please enjoy the slow pace and savour every second, because when you get to the death levels, shit hits the fan quick :sob:
Overall, I’m very impressed with WaniKani and it was worth every penny, 2000 vocabulary and 800 kanji just for selling my soul for a year?! What a bargain!!!

Anyways this post is too long, see you guys later!
頑張って!!!

60 Likes

That’s awesome, congratulations! I hit my year mark about a few weeks ago, although I’ve been going slightly slower than you (read: random burnout levels and so on). It definitely feels good to look back and say, “oh man, I did a whole year of this and I can read all of this stuff now!” I definitely feel you on the lurker thing though
Yeah 頑張って!(thank you lv 25 vocab for finally teaching that)

4 Likes

Firstly, congrats. I wish I was as accurate as you are.
How did you get to change wkstats to a dark theme?

1 Like

おめでとうございます!
Well done!!

2 Likes

Since no one said the joke yet… i will be honored to do it…
お可愛いこと。
Also happy birthday :partying_face:

3 Likes

I didn’t change my actual website to dark, my phone just has a dark mode setting that changes everything to dark mode.
Also sometimes it’s best to take a breather between huge review piles, I’ve found that has helped me with getting higher accuracies so I don’t burn myself out!

2 Likes

:joy: 会長。。。お可愛いこと。。。

2 Likes

nice!

I just got to lvl 26 but in 7 months, lucky me I had free time to do a little rush, otherwise I would do just like your pace.

1 Like

2 Likes

I just hit level 4 and signed up for a full year of wk this week. Thanks for sharing your story, it gives folks like me motivation!

5 Likes

Wow, congradulations!!! :partying_face: :confetti_ball:

1 Like

Also… Welcome to the community @goombye !!! Glad to hear you’ll be round here for bout a year (don’t forget to check out the campfire section and do your reviews) I remember when I had just signed up for a year of WaniKani, and lood where I am now! I’m sure you’ll do great! 頑張ってね!

2 Likes

Keep up the good work. You’re still going at a pretty good speed. Besides it’s not a sprint, just the fact that you endured a year is a victory in itself. 頑張って !

1 Like

Good luck with your studies! May the Crabigator bless you.

1 Like

Happy cakeday! :cake:

giphy

2 Likes

Same here :slight_smile: Just hit level 4 today and am psyched (and intimidated for sure) to continue.
Thanks @Awaisss for the motivating post!

4 Likes

ʷᵉˡᶜᵒᵐᵉ ᵗᵒ ᵗʰᵉ ᶜᵒᵐᵐᵘⁿᶦᵗʸ ᵃˢ ʷᵉˡˡᵎᵎᵎ :partying_face: :confetti_ball:

3 Likes

Great progress! Also, I don’t know why you keep bringing up the number 2000 and 800 when you are pretty much at a 3000 vocabulary and 900 kanji level. Significantly cooler.

2 Likes

Haha yeah, I hadn’t checked my stats for a while and I guess I sort of forgot i was nearing that, I’ll probably change it now!

1 Like

No problem! WaniKani and Japanese in general is super intimidating but after a while it seems more or less the same with every new Kanji and Vocab you learn, you got this!!!

2 Likes