BOOM! Level 60 in a little under a year (361 days)

I’ve done it! This is probably gonna be unorganized and ramble on a bit but I have to confess my love for WaniKani.
Also, I haven’t really posted much in this community, (I’m a bit of an introvert) but know that I’ve read several threads on here. I want to thank the community that entertained me and pushed me forward, even if it went unnoticed.

But first, the cold hard statistics:

(That’s a long time for the next level. Also, this says 360 but my heatmap says 361 dunno why that is.)

These are both from https://www.wkstats.com/

And finally, the heatmap, honestly my favorite script (seriously, thank you @Kumirei, you’re awesome)
You can get the heatmap here!

How do I feel?

Amazing! Or terrible! I don’t really understand this feeling. I’m certainly feeling accomplished. It’s kind of like finishing a long book and realizing that you’re gonna miss the characters. I know there’s still work to be done (burning!), but I’m gonna miss all the new lessons and stories with the mnemonics. What I know is that I’m definitely gonna buy that lifetime subscription now.

What did WaniKani do for me? (or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Crabgator)

Being a 22 year old in America, I felt kind of aimless, I had no idea what I had a passion for and no clue where I wanted to go.

WaniKani helped change that.
It gave me a constant goal to work towards and made me fall in love with Japanese. I’ve always had trouble focusing on stuff on account of my ADD (and my personality) , but WaniKani had me glued.

This wonderful program became so ingrained with me over the past 361 days that my irl friends and family started to identify me with Japanese. They began to learn my study schedule, and most importantly to me, they began to ask me questions about Japanese, strengthening my own knowledge and making me feel like I had a skill worth having.

Now my mother is supporting me in going to Japan to further my studies.

All the answers to the burning questions I had at level 1

I don’t think I can do this more justice than @jprspereira did in his guide

Thank you for this amazing guide, it was immensely helpful in my early days on WK. (My post here is honestly a little derivative of this one :sweat_smile: ) I beat you by 7 days though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

What I can answer, however, is what my own year long experience was like.

Do I know Japanese?

No. Yes. I know some Japanese. I know enough to read a lot of the stuff I wanted to read a long time ago. I know enough to have passed the N3 months ago.

You can’t expect to learn Japanese solely from WaniKani. It’s just a piece of the puzzle. This program gives you the building blocks on which to build the rest of your knowledge on and just so happens to be the best program to do it with.

Personally, I’ve studied up on plenty of grammar books like:

• Tae Kim’s Guide to Japanese Grammar
  • Japanese the Manga Way (Loved this one)
  • Genki

And several others. There are also a great number of apps to use alongside WK to help your learning effort. You gotta use every single resource available to you to learn Japanese.

But the most important thing to do is apply your knowledge. Use it in real situations. Read literature, follow Japanese twitter accounts (I’m a fan of some Japanese professional wrestlers), watch anime and Japanese YouTube videos (One of my personal favorites) I mentioned having friends question me on my knowledge. There’s really no way to describe the feeling of being able to read your first sentence/paragraph/book in Japanese.

Was it difficult for me?

Sometimes. During January I was on vacation in Europe, but I stubbornly decided not to hit vacation mode on here and study while I was travelling. That was probably the hardest part, but it worked out.

There’s no reason to rush. Take WK at your own speed. Use scripts to assist you, but be careful not to abuse them.

I used the WaniKani Lesson Ordering II (obsolete, does not work) script to do radicals/kanji first, but I always made sure to do my vocabulary soon after.

Closer

Anyways, I realize this is starting to sound a lot like a guide, and there’s already a fantastic guide out there, so I’ll stop now. Just wanted to talk a little bit about my experience. I hope if some new users happen upon my post here it might help them in some small way, like @jprspereira did for me.

Thanks to everyone in the community, I hope to interact with a lot of you more :heart: ! Keep burning those durtles, and never give up!

101 Likes

NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :tada: :cake: :crabigator:

13 Likes

And here I am a year and three months and only halfway lol.

Good job though!

10 Likes

:pleading_face:N-never gonna give you up!
Anyway, congrats! :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

9 Likes

Incredible! Do you know if you are the fastest runner of WK marathon?

6 Likes

INCREDIBLE

I can’t think of anyone more deserving of this cake right now!

13 Likes

congrats! another record has been set :laughing:

4 Likes

INCREDIBLE! PLEASE SIGN MY SHELL!

9 Likes

WUT. Usually people consider buying lifetime BEFORE they hit level 60.

14 Likes

Haha, yup. I’m kind of hitting myself for not buying it during the sale because it’s a bit expensive for me. I didn’t wanna do while I was getting to 60 because at the time I bought the sub I thought I needed a bit of a time limit to push me on.

8 Likes

hehe same … i got lifetime like a week after hitting 60 lmfao

try emailing them for a discount

7 Likes

Hmmmmmmmm… thanks, I’ll have to try this out haha

4 Likes

Faster than me! You get there when you get there, just keep at it!

7 Likes

Took you 361 days? Looks like my new goal is 360 days then :smiley:

6 Likes

Oof :grin: You really gonna do me in like that? Good luck, I’ll be here when you get there

(nice Jack Frost pfp :heart:)

4 Likes

Thanks. I’m just looking forward to finally being able to read Japanese. :smiley:

Of course, I need to also get my grammar to at least n3 level by that time.

But seriously, congrats on your accomplishment!

2 Likes

I’m curious to see what your Apprentice/Guru/Master/Enlightened/Burned numbers are, if you don’t mind sharing.

3 Likes

Congratulations! Your success inspires those of us still climbing the mountain to continue with more passion!

4 Likes

@girakacheezer Sure, no problem!

Apprentice was floating around 200 earlier today

@Oceansea Thanks! This is seriously all I could ask for, good luck on your climb! :heart:

4 Likes

bow hinata haikyu
Congratulations on this fantastic achievement speed racer! I myself am the opposite of speed racer so I’ll guess it’ll be quite awhile before I see you at the top of the mountain :sweat_smile:

Seriously though, this is some achievement! I hope you continue on your language journey with as much fervor as you did here. Congrats again! :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes