~ Oishinbo ~ 🥘 🍙 🍱

I also found a Oishinbo TV special, with the voice actors dressed up and acting their characters! :grin:

Yamaoka is played by Kazuhiko Inoue while Kurita is played by Mayumi Shō. I just can’t stop staring at Inoue looking so darn young! :rofl: (he was in his 30’s recording Oishinbo, while right now he’s getting close to 70! ^^')
Also: expect awkwardness! :joy: (and minor spoilers for Episode 6 幻の魚 and episode 93 ). It’s pretty cool that they’ve used real places and restaurants in Oishinbo, as this special shows. ^>^

Edit: Now that I think about it, I wonder if this special was made to promote the movie? :thinking:

1 Like

Episode#18? Ain’t no one got time for that

Seperating rice by hand??? I got stuff to do.

Missed almost all of the dialogue but that’s okay.
I also learned that it is alright to wear black kimonos to wedding parties. It means that you are already married. I wonder if black wedding party kimonos has become less popular now a days.

2 Likes

Seams fair as you can always arrive in a black suit! :eyes:

2 Likes

I really really like the voice of kurita.
Waaaaaaa eating wani sashimi?? I hope that id safe. Probably is. Wouldn’t know

1 Like

Of course, here Wani = same :shark: I didn’t understand the explanation for it being called ワニ, but maybe someone else did. (it’s in the latter half of the TV special linked above). ^^’

1 Like

Oh!!! I was confused.
I’ve had shatk fin soup once.
Heard the mercury content in sharks is 危険

2 Likes

I mean, they are top predators, so I bet they aren’t the best food around. :sweat: (as the one’s at the top of the food chain they accumulate the most bad stuff - so yeah, don’t eat humans, kids!).

1 Like

Reminds me of this Oscar bait (pun intended):

4 Likes

Oishinbo 17- bikers in the office

Spaced out and don’t remember. Yamaoka goes fast on a motorcycle. Not
Going to rewatch it .

Oishinbo 18- yummy ice cream

Watched it twice because I was multitasking.
Second time I got the general idea of the story.
Of course I ate ice cream while watching this episode.

2 Likes

I do remember the first time I saw people selling soft ice cream. This was probably in the 90s. My mum said that it’s a waste of money, because (in her words) we would be “buying air”. She’s referring of course to the amount of air mixed in the ice cream. If only Yamaoka had suddenly appeared then and explained to my mum that it’s good to have air inside of ice cream :rofl:

3 Likes

Oishibo’s favourite ingredient is air it seems.

3 Likes

Week 11 16th August Episode 27-28 激闘鯨合戦(前編) & 激闘鯨合戦(後編)

Ah, we’ve arrived at the whaling episodes. :sweat: :whale2: :whale: Let’s just say, Oishinbo doesn’t do itself any favors with this defense of whaling and the custom of eating whale meat. -_-

Not to mention: it’s pretty f-d up to make someone eat something against their will! What’s wrong with these people?! >: + eating whale guts doesn’t seem like something I’d ever wanna experience. :nauseated_face:

Even if it’s true whaling has deep cultural roots, with uses for whale outside of what’s put on a plate, it’s hard to make the argument that whaling is somehow necessary or essential to Japanese culture.

Imo these episodes haven’t aged well…>_>

Ep 29 旅先の知恵 thoughts
Tozai news goes on a company trip to an onsen. Rival news organization Teito is there to sour the mood.

Also, to deprive the Tozai news of people the opportunity to eat fresh seafood and sashimi. :C (the fancy hotel that Teito stays in has bought all the fish). Poor Tomii is devastated. Yamaoka then suggests a beach cook up with small fry fish which turns things around. Meanwhile, Teito news have their party ruined when there’s a fire at the hotel.

Now no one gets to enjoy any seafood. But, Yamaoka again comes with a solution: rather than eating fish sashimi he brings everyone out to a bamboo glade to enjoy bamboo sashimi. ^^

1 Like
Episode 29: 旅先の知恵

I did not know that you can eat takenoko like sashimi. Has anybody found a restaurant that serves this? I quite like takenoko, but I doubt that it’s considered a delicacy on par with fish sashimi.

Yamaoka is a lazy bum but he can be quite heroic when he has to be :rofl:

Episode 30: うどんの腰

I like that I learned the other meaning of WK vocab 腰, in this case “elasticity”. Perhaps this is not very commonly used, or only used in connection with udon?

There isn’t that much about cooking in this episode, unless you count that discussion of gluten. The story is just a series of deus ex machina, with three big strong men who just happen to retire from their professions at the same time, who just happen to get together, who just happen to have interest in cooking, who just happen to be willing to work for an udon restaurant as cooks slash bodyguards. Come on, Oishinbo writers, you can do better.

2 Likes

Episode 30 thoughts. Yeah, this episode certainly isn’t aiming for realism. :sweat_smile: But, I do enjoy this rather silly side of Oishinbo as well. It’s amusing enough in it’s own way, even with how implausible the scenario is.

The most interesting bit for me was that the old man was stepping on the dough to knead it! :leg::lips::leg:

1 Like

Episode 31 thoughts: Kyougaku Mantarou, the businessman and gourmet, is back. Now in hospital after a fall. Yamaoka offers to treat him to something much better than the hospital food, and Kyougaku asks for tempura Ayu (sweetfish). Of course, Kaibara has the bad timing to come visit Kyougaku as well, and that means another father son showdown.

Yamaoka brings Kurita to gather the best ingredients, much to her enjoyment, but not so much to his. lol

During the showdown Yamaoka and Kaibara have gathered much the same quality of ingredients. But, for the fish. While Yamaoka caught high quality sweetfish, of a perfects size for tempura deep-frying, Kaibara sought out fish from Kyougaku’s hometown.

In the end, Kyougaku is deeply moved by the nostalgic flavor of Kaibara’s dish, though Yamaoka’s dish was delicious. I do wonder how on earth these characters’ taste buds work that lets them discern place of origin of fish to that degree. :joy:

Also, when we first got to know Kyougaku, Yamaoka was the one to serve him a nostalgic tasting dish. Why didn’t he think of a stronger emotional connection to the ingredients this time? :thinking: That makes this episode’s plot a bit sus, imo. ^^; Maybe, I’m just missing a big point of difference between those episodes. Some nuanceing thing that’s different.

1 Like

Epidode with Jeff and fish
Episode 19 maybe

Don’t know anyone who has Jeff’s accent when speaking Japanese.
I grew to love Jeff because of his determination and friendliness.
Go Jeff!

Pro tip: don’t just cut fish however you want

That’s what oishinbo taught me

2 Likes

All westerners on Oishinbo are voiced by Japanese voice actors using wrong pitch accents when speaking Japanese. Their English is always suspiciously bad :eyes:

2 Likes

Well if they ever need an authentic foreign accent while speaking Japanese they should call me.
@oishinbomediateamof1980something

2 Likes

I’m still unsure of why he dropped by the Tozai news people in the beginning. Well, it’s an ongoing thing - people seeking out this magazine’s staff for “reasons”, lol.

2 Likes

Think I’ll stop by the newspaper company and see if I can get a cooking lesson

2 Likes