October 15 2021 Content Updates

Radicals

Greenhouse (25) - updated meaning mnemonic to match order of components.

Kanji

(35) - added “late” as alternative meaning and updated meaning mnemonic.

(29) - added “female” to block list.

(43) - added “zither” as an alternative meaning and updated meaning mnemonic.

Vocabulary

欠かす (11) - added “to lack something” to block list.

慣れる (25) - added “to get accustomed to” to allow list.

請ける (29) - added “to blame” to block list.

迎える (32) - added “to pick up someone” to allow list.

三世 (4) - updated meaning explanation, added “the third” and “the 3rd” to meaning warning list, and replaced all three context sentences.

揺れる (44) - updated context sentence.

某〜 (60) - added “someone or other”, “you-know-who”, and “something” to meaning warning list.

心理 (7) - updated context sentence.

兵糧 (54) - updated reading explanation.

不可分 (20) - updated meaning and reading explanations.

巨大 (28) - added “giant” to meaning warning list.

同音異義語 (35) - added “homophone” as alternative meaning and added two context sentences.

障る (26) - updated context sentence.

(46) - updated context sentence.

(43) - added “Japanese zither” as alternative meaning, moved “harp” to allow list, and added “zither” to allow list.

代える (6) - added “to change” to the block list.

連れる (19) - added “to be led” and “to be lead” to block list.

Added

Kanji

• Level 25: (ばく) - greenhouse

Vocabulary

• Level 7: ナポレオン三世 (なぽれおんさんせい) - Napoleon III
  • Level 25: 莫大 (ばくだい) - huge
  • Level 31: 豊富 (ほうふ) - abundant
  • Level 60: 詠う (うたう) - to compose
  • Level 60: 酌み交わす (くみかわす) - to drink together
  • Level 60: (なにがし) - someone or other

Moved

• Level 31: 経路 (けいろ) - moving down to level 20, as this is a common word, and both kanji are available by level 20.

Hidden

• Level 41: 原潜 (げんせん) - this is uncommon, and we have enough other words to practice these readings.
25 Likes

Thanks, Jenny!

3 Likes

Look, @Kumirei, it you :eyes:

8 Likes

Thank you, Jenny and @Redglare

7 Likes

The alternative meaning isn’t accepted:

3 Likes

Thank you, Jenny!

1 Like

You missed the Katakana option for Napoleon III.

1 Like

I am incredibly disappointed you went with ナポレオン三世 and not ルパン三世

Thanks for the update!

5 Likes

I think it’s really weird that ナポレオンさんせい is marked as wrong for ナポレオン三世.

1 Like

Sorry if this is more of an English question, but for what concerns 慣れる, why is “to get accustomed to” in the block list? What is the difference vs. “to become accustomed to” and “to get used to”?

I am not an English native speaker, so I am not aware of any finer details of the language

8 Likes

Had to look up what a zither was :sweat_smile:

It’s weird I was more familiar with koto.

2 Likes

As a native English speaker, I do not understand this either.

6 Likes

This is also the problem pointed out by @joaopduro . I have not been able to find either “greenhouse” or “endless” as meaning of 莫, even using Chinese dictionaries. But I’m not a native speaker of Japanese or Chinese, so maybe @Jonapedia wants to comment on this 莫 kanji?

You won’t find “greenhouse” as a meaning anywhere because it’s made up by the WK team. But does it ever mean “endless”? All I have ever found is “do not” or “be not”.

3 Likes

It took quite a lot of searching, but I did find this:

「莫」の部首・画数・読み方・筆順・意味など

That’s what I mean by “obscure meaning” in another thread. It’s very well hidden and probably not much used for “endless”

4 Likes

I think the “endless” meaning is more of a meaning derived from vocab or a general nuance (vast, endless, huge, etc.). I added “huge” as an alternative, because that aligns with how the kanji is used in the word I learned before already (莫大 )

Not sure where the “greenhouse” came from. The kanji has nothing to do with greenhouses :smiley: .
In moments like this I’m really on the verge of sighing myself out of the window.

2 Likes

Yeah, and it’s going to confuse people who don’t use the radical mnemonics or use their own mnemonics.

1 Like

I just really hope this doesn’t turn into another case of “machine”, but fortunately 莫 is not used as often.

1 Like

I’m sure there are other kanji on WK which are identical to the radical but don’t share the same meaning. Don’t think they need to be beholden to it so I don’t quite understand the rationale here.

Jisho lists the meanings as “must not, do not, be not”. :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

I personally think this would be a great opportunity for someone from the WK team to comment and explain. I’m sure at least @TofuguJenny does follow this thread closely.

3 Likes