NSFW mode?

The judgemental and arrogant attitude on display by a number of commenters in this thread is disturbing.

The whole strawman argument of “OMG you think someone seeing a word will ruin their life, you are dumb” is getting old. Literally no one in this thread from the OP onward is suggesting anything remotely like that. What they ARE asking is if it would be possible to allow individual people to hide certain words just for themselves so they are able to use WaniKani in various public settings. It should not matter to any of the critics why they want to do this because it does not affect them one bit. No one is suggesting you can’t keep using WaniKani as is to study whatever vocabulary you want, or that we should scrub all possibly offensive words from the Japanese language. Its about giving users the flexibility to manage their OWN experience.

And to those of you scoffing at the idea of behaving within a set of culture norms in public I have news for you, you won’t get very far in the world with an attitude of “screw everyone i’ll do what I want” PARTICULARLY in Japan. You would think people studying the Japanese language would have at least a basic grasp on the idea of propriety and how you behave around others, its a rather significant aspect of Japanese culture.

7 Likes

The reason is that a big part of the WaniKani method is about being given the experience that WaniKani controls. Some small deviations are supported in the form of user scripts, but that’s about it. Changing the vocab or speeding up the process is met with pretty universal vitriol even if, like you said, it doesn’t affect other people directly. The general consensus seems to be, if you want control over your own experience, you should be using Anki instead of WaniKani. The idea that you’re paying or not … well, all the more reason to use Anki, at least from what I can gather.

That’s part of why I’m phasing out my use of WK as well to be honest. With Anki I can study full sentences, I can use pictures to memorize Japanese words instead of just English words, and can modify decks as needed to remove vocabulary which isn’t relevant to me, and add vocabulary which is. Just for example, I’m playing a video game right now which used the word 瀕死, taught nowhere in WK. There’s no reason for it to be, since it’s not a common word at all. But in this particular game it tells you when some abilities take effect (瀕死時に), so looking it up was useful. And maybe I’ll find another game which uses this very uncommon word, so I’d rather remember that for now.

Not an attack on WaniKani, since I know WK is great for the people who use it, and overall I think it’s high quality and still recommend it to people who want to learn kanji and vocabulary. But it isn’t for everyone.

1 Like

You have the ability to manage your own experience with a script. Personally I don’t care if this mode is included or not, but a “gimme feature/userscript, I’m paying” attitude for a not so widely requested/loved feature leads nowhere. You want it, you can add it. If you can’t, search a tools that does what you want.

1 Like

Well then life sucks then.

No one is stopping you from making your own script. If you can’t do that, well then you should be nicer to the people who can.

Then as forum Shogun, let me impart this super Japanese advice on you, you should not talk back to those who are 目上

3 Likes

Another straw man. No one on this thread is demanding such functionality. The OP asked if anyone knew of a script that would allow such functionality and others mentioned fthat they would find it useful if one existed or if WK had built in functionality. Never a demand, just a suggestion.

And they were met with harassment and ridicule for it by jackasses who decided to assert that their own way was the only correct way, and anyone who felt like modifying THEIR OWN experience for any number of legitimate reasons was somehow the worst part of society ever. It’s incredible the arrogance and hostility on display over something that wouldn’t affect these people in the slightest.

3 Likes

I’ll stand up to bullies anywhere, anytime. You can threaten to abuse whatever forum status you have but I won’t back down because of it.

And yeah, read the thread, no one is demanding they be given anything, they are merely asking if such a script exists and if not suggesting it might be a useful feature. The people who should back down are those who are harassing them.

That’s not very Japanese of you.

You would think people studying the Japanese language would have at least a basic grasp on the idea of propriety and how you behave around others, its a rather significant aspect of Japanese culture.

3 Likes

All that drama aside, if you want a script - make a proper request in the request thread.

3 Likes

Not directly related to this thread, but there were some demands for “less offending” content recently. “Has anyone seen a userscript, nudge, nudge” is not a direct demand, but somehow this thread didn’t stop after “no, there isn’t”. I’m not entirely sure what your point is though, the creation of this thread has the goal to get the functionality, “do it yourself” is a valid reply.

If a new thread introducing an NSFW userscript would pop up right now, I’m sure you would see a completely different discussion, with most negative being like “don’t need, whatever”.

1 Like

dkreutz, though I was asking dadjumper specifically about caring at work, I can respond to you just as easily.

The reason I was asking about why anyone should care who was around when doing reviews is this… When I am at work, in public, at a friends house, at the gym, AND in schools. I see people on their computers and personal devices looking at things FAR worse than a few unsettling words, MANY of them are looking at the news.

The news you say?! How could that possible be any worse that a seeing a few odd words pop up on someone’s screen in public. Most of the time, the news is pretty mellow. What the weather is like, what happenings are going on in your town, obits, births, weddings, arrests, how the big games went, etc. Then, we get shit like Vegas. So tell me why I should be ashamed/worried/embarressed about a few silly words that pop up on my/your/their language reviews, when my coworker, a friend, fellow gym member, or classmate is looking at blood soaked pavement, gunshot wounded people, videos of the mass panic, and the agony of losing loved ones, especially when children are around.

And to further comment, the original OP got his answer in post #2. After which, as more people chimed in from both sides, the conversation has grown far beyond OP’s first post. You’re welcome to stand up for those you think need defending. I have no problem with that. Many people have not necessarily been the nicest about what has been said (myself included), but there is a general unification of thought through the negativity.

There is currently no user script for this function, just because you pay for something doesn’t entitle you to anything other than what you pay for, and if you want something more than what you pay for, you have to create it, find someone who will, or find another product that does what you want.

The NSFW points I find valid from this thread are a disclaimer at purchase of some sort about minimal content may not be for all ages, and an educational version of WaniKani.

5 Likes

I’ll address the points you raised:

1. Yes, people around you may be engaging in behavior that is worse in your view than what we are talking about here, but that doesn’t mean its meaningless for me (or the OP, or others) to not want to contribute to such behavior ourselves. There are people out there who commit violent acts, I don’t want to be associated with that. There are people out there who use course language in public, I don’t want to be associated with that. I (and others) are merely saying “hey, I’m uncomfortable that people might associate this behavior with me. Is there a way to still use WaniKani in a way that doesn’t do that? If not it would be useful if that could be a change you add in the future”. Thats it. Its not about controlling anyone else’s actions, its about being able to have better control over how one chooses to present themselves. If you, or others, aren’t concerned about this type of situation, thats totally fine, no one is telling you you should be. Thats why its baffling to me that people are getting bent out of shape about a feature suggestion that would have exactly zero impact on them.

2. Claiming that people are demanding or saying they are entitled to something is a straw man. It is NOT what has been suggested in this thread at all. Yet for whatever reason it keeps being brought up by those who are hostile to the very concept of the user having some finer control over what vocabulary words show up on their personal screen. What has happened in reality is people have said “hey, I would appreciate that feature. It would be really useful for me to have that feature. Because this is a product I paid for its difficult to walk away from it now that i’ve just found out about this content, maybe one solution would be to offer a feature like this.” No demand. No entitlement. Just feedback on what would be useful. Which brings me to my next point:

3. This is post in a subforum SPECIFICALLY entitled “Feedback”. It’s the exact right place for someone to bring up the idea of content possibly being problematic and/or discussing possible solutions for that problem. So no, there is one more option to your list for people who want something more from WaniKani, and its exactly what this forum is for: Providing feedback to the developer in the hopes they will change/improve the product you are already using to be better for you. Good, succesful developers listen (and desire) such feedback. It doesn’t mean they will always act on it, but they might, and its not wrong at all to provide such feedback, especially in a forum specifically set up by the developer for that very purpose.

4. Last point. People have expressed the opinion that they are not offended/don’t care/want the inclusion of possible “NSFW” words, and thats totally valid feedback too. People in that position can respond in two ways to others who’d like a feature to allow them to individual hide such content, the mature way or the immature way.

The mature and adult way to respond to that idea if its something you personally don’t want to use is something along the following lines:

“Well, that content doesn’t bother me, but as long as I can still have access to it I can see why others might want to be able to turn it off. Maybe the developers can consider a blacklist type suggestion.”

The immature and assholish way to respond is similar to whats been happening:

“Well I am perfectly fine with such words and YOU are a stupid baby for wanting to hide from them, cry cry cry little baby! How dare you tell me what to do (even though you weren’t) or demand something from the developers (even though you weren’t). You suck!”

I find it sad how many people here have chosen the later option.

4 Likes

I find that the mature and adult thing would be to start a new thread to search for someone that agrees with the cause will write a script for the feature. That way everyone (myself included) who would appreciate the implementation can actually contribute to making the change just like every other user that ever wanted a feature. Every other time that a script for something has been needed or not, someone that agreed with the implementation has actually worked on it. Instead of beating this dead horse, let’s get some work done, and do it ourselves. Tofugu has no obligation to implement this feature, and no one that disagrees should have to do the work for those that now just want to complain about personal issues and circumstances (not that the right to do so isn’t there, but it’s still irrelevant). This thread is too long-winded and useless at this point.

2 Likes

On top of what i previously stated, you’re blowing things out of proportion the same way as the naysayers, therefore you’re not helping much. Let’s just agree to disagree. I’m for the idea if it happens, but i don’t care if it doesn’t because i’m fortunate enough to not live with the circumstances of those like op. However, i understand the reasoning as to why this thread was started.

1 Like

“Let’s just agree to disagree.” Thats fine when its a question of preference, i.e. “I like vanilla better vs. I like chocolate better”. But thats not what this situation was.

Group A said: “Does this feature exist? If not I would find it useful if it was added.”
Group B said: “That idea is stupid, and you are stupid for suggesting it! Stop demanding things!”

Regardless of whether the feature is implemented or not, Group B’s reaction is wrong.

7 Likes

Couldn’t resist…

*site

1 Like

Respond to Syphus and not me… Lol.

1 Like

“Wrong” from a certain point of view.

You are oversimplifying what is actually occurring here by pigeon-holing all the responses in this thread into two, narrowly-defined groups. There have been plenty of middle-ground responses.

3 Likes

I can’t believe this is still going, I guess it’s time to mute this thread…

1 Like

I think we can all agree that what’s really “Wrong”, is unnecessarily bringing dead threads pointless back to life.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.