Noob in need!

Fine, i just read what transpired while i was writing, yes thank you for taking your time to punctualize it again.

Since i’ve done 16 levels using external material and still haven’t feel a connection with how WK offers things, i tend to feel more empathetic towards people complaining to these kind of stuff, maybe im alone on this boat but you guys do a great job. Maybe i’ll change my mind as i move towards higher levels

1 Like

And to clarify, I’m not advocating that anyone ignore the traditional radicals or how to use them. As I also indicated above, I have taken Kanken, and I am taking it again soon, so I do spend some time with them (though it’s not a huge part of the test, so even their usefulness in that regard is limited).

I just don’t see a worthwhile benefit to WK’s mission to changing the system to fit the traditional radical scheme.

2 Likes

I think you may have misread the representation 意符として病気を表す。
I believe in this case the 字形 just describes what the author themselves sees, i mean, the first word in the article is 病 :woman_shrugging:
I don’t know of the resource you used, i’ve interacted with niconico very little so i don’t really know the context they write in or the purpose of the site. I can’t argue for or against what they say

I think it is pretty clear. The first part is the meaning, which is, as you say, sickness. The explanation is in modern Japanese, where is the problem with 病? Then, you are interested in 字形. They even quote the Shuowen Jiezi for you :slight_smile: No idea what 倚箸する was, but the first sentence explains it in modern Japanese (so 寝床の上に人が臥せっている).

Thank you for such a comprehensive and well thought-out response. I love seeing such thorough reasoning which addresses points one at a time without any wiggle room for nonsense.

While I understand where you are coming from, it’s not that people don’t care, it’s that so often people complain without bothering to read the FAQ and Guide and then they come up with

Calling it “stupid” without trying it and indirectly insulting everyone who uses a “stupid” system is not a productive way to gain allies or support for product feedback. There is a way to talk to people that does not make them hostile, and this was not it.

I do agree that if people complain about the speed, it should be considered. But it has. And à conclusion was already reached. The pacing is here to stay, and I for one am grateful for it.

SRS serves a legitimate purpose, just as the made up radical names do. Personally I do not like made up radicals, nor do I make as much use of mnemonics as most people seem to, but that does not mean they are useless. I can see their use very clearly, even if I do not make use of them myself.

Also, for anyone who does not like them, how about adding synonyms as has been suggested already?

Coming here as a newbie, being presumptuous in assuming that you are more knowledgeable than the entire community, arguing without doing reasearch, and generally antagonizong the good folks of this realm for no good reason is a despicable way to try and get a point across. If WK does not work for @Kanakota, he’s obviously welcome to leave feedback in a friendly way, or simply use something else, but the way it looks, without having even tried it properly, he wouldn’t even reality know if it’ll work for him.

@jprspereira, you’ve been incredibly subdued :joy:

3 Likes

I can’t really read everything on that page, it’s a bit above my reading and comprehension level :woman_shrugging: I really can’t give the context of all the categories even, but 字形 should only really describe the shape, not the actual meaning, if i interpret it correctly.

意符として病気を表す as far as i can interpret states (for those that can’t read at this level)
[the shape of the kanji, as opposed to meaning][as a][sickness][represents]

字形 describes the composition of the kanji, for example if it is a hieroglyph (象形) as this one, a phonetic-semantic compound, etc. It describes the parts in compounds, but also the etymology of the characters. For hieroglyphs it describes what it represents. Often there are several theories.

You are reading in the 部首 part, the character used as a radical in other kanji (like 疾病). It says that when 疒 is used as the semantic component (as opposed to the phonetic component), it signifies disease. For example 症 means “something related to disease read as 正 (せい・しょう)” = symptom.

If you are into this I can recommend that site, it is a bit obscure (it is a wiki, and some very basic kanji don’t even have a kanji section) but there seem to be lots of kanji fanatics.

1 Like

I’ll definately bookmark it for later reading, thank you a lot!
I’ll also make notes about the translations, context and interpretation is sometimes absolute hell when it comes to japanese, but we’ll soldier on :slight_smile:

To be honest, I don’t see any reason to do WK in 1 year (max speed) other than the challenge. This coming from someone in the The five cool people’s group with @Vanilla as the hype man. Our time would be better spent reading JP stuff.

Hey… every angel can become a fallen one :grin:

1 Like

Yeah, agreed. I mean, unless you dedicate so much time to japanese that you can go max speed on WK and have your grammar and vocab be on par with your kanji knowledge and read. But that’s a lot of time.

EDIT: Oh shit, I got last reply in an argument thread without realizing there was ever even an argument. Isn’t there supposed to be a harem of girls for people as oblivious as me?

6 Likes

Yeah, we’ve gotten pretty off-topic here. Feel free to start a separate thread in the appropriate sub-forum if you’d like to discuss radicals, etc.

5 Likes