No/Na Adjectives

ひさしぶり is listed as no adjective/na adjective in the lessons.

What does it mean by saying it’s both? It made me realize I’m actually sort of confused by the distinction between na adjectives and no adjectives. Since i adjectives can directly affect nouns and na adjectives use na, when would you use no instead?

1 Like

久しぶりの (in quotations) returns far more results than 久しぶりな, even though technically both are possible. I would recommend doing that kind of thing when you’re not sure.

Technically a の adjective is just a noun that you modify another noun with.

“の adjective” is not a classification you will find in Japanese lessons on grammar for natives.

1 Like

Thank you. That was what I thought but seeing wani kani classify it like that threw me off. Seems odd a word could be both a na adjective and no adjective at the same time.

1 Like

My guess is that this comes from when な adjectives get re-interpreted over time by natives as being merely nouns. So when they look for how to use it to modify, they go the noun route rather than the な adjective route. The more that happens, the less people see it as a な adjective.

But that’s just a guess.

Some others in both categories (which you may or may not know yet) include
ひみつ
えいえん
ぎゃく
ほんとう
たくさん

In all those cases, I’ll be honest, I would never go the な adjective route. That makes me think it’s fading in usage for all of these I mentioned.

1 Like

Makes sense to me. Honestly I do know all those words but would’be considered them nouns if you hadn’t told me they were originally na adjectives. Though たくさん I would’ve considered an adjective I guess. Except that it uses の when before a noun I believe.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.