Ni for verbs?

From the learn Japanese pod notes, I see these sentences.
一緒に ハンバーガー 食べに行かない
The hamburger I put myself as an example food, but why ni for the verb at the end, I thought ni is used for time.

1 Like

Verb stem + に + いく means “to go do verb”.

So in this case it’s “how about we go eat hamburgers together?”

By the way, に has a lot of usages.

17 Likes
  • Marks time
  • Marks destination for movement verbs
  • Marks purpose-of-movement
  • Marks location of existence verbs
  • Marks indirect object
  • Marks agent for passive verbs

Et cetera. So versatile.

10 Likes

oh gosh

4 Likes

The monolingual entry gets even more fine-grained.

10 Likes

16 Likes

My favorite use of に is The Knights Who Say "Ni!" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail - YouTube
(sorry, could not resist…)

8 Likes

No silly, 二 is used for counting

5 Likes

Silly, 煮 is used for cooking

7 Likes

I would classify this as one of the ‘purpose’ usages of に. You can of course remember it as something specific to いく and くる, but in case you want to conveniently tie it to other usages of に, you could consider my suggestion to make drawing such links easier.

1 Like

sorry

5 Likes

What about いっしょ に レストラン で
Using で to say togheter at the restaurant.

As in, what does に mean here? It’s an adverb marker if you ask me, because いっしょ is something like an adjective on its own. You could see it as being similar to な-adjectives getting a に attached, or い-adjectives turning into something ending in く.

So I would place de restaurant de before.

Hm… not really. I think both word orders are fine. There might just be a slight difference in nuance though:

いっしょ に レストラン で 食べに行かない?
‘Wanna go together to eat at the restaurant?’

レストラン で いっしょ に 食べに行かない?
‘Wanna go eat at the restaurant together?’

BUT, honestly, in both cases, いっしょに can be attached to 食べに or 行かない (i.e. it can describe either the eating or the going), and I think that my ‘nuance difference’ interpretation might be rubbish because I think that adverbs modify the nearest logical verb by default. The two sentences might mean the same thing! The only thing that really can’t happen here is レストランで describing 行かない, because you don’t use ‘go’ with で.

I think the clearest way to say ‘go together’ would be:

レストラン で 食べに いっしょ に 行かない?

But I guess all three sentences suggest the same end result, so it’s not a big issue. That’s what happens when you have a language that marks all the functions of words: word order is very flexible.

1 Like

Oke thhxx. You could make it even bigger by adding and then go to cinema for example with the て form, haha.

いっしょにレストランでハンバーガーに食べて映画をいかない。

1 Like

I guess so! Just some minor corrections:

I’m not completely sure if the て-form would be on the same level as 見に (it’s not「見るに」 – you have to attach に to the masu-stem) or as 行かない though. The difference: one involves the sequence ‘go to [eat and see a movie]’, and the other involves the sequence ‘eat and go and see a movie’. I mean, the end result is the same, because you have to ‘go’ somewhere to do either action, but I’m just doing analysis here… I think it’s more likely to attach to 見に because Japanese seems to like proximity as a parsing habit. Eh, it doesn’t really matter. Your sentence works, anyhow (once those minor grammatical mistakes are fixed). :slight_smile:

いっしょにレストランでハンバーガーに食べて映画をいかない。

1 Like

いいよ!Why not? :stuck_out_tongue:

By the way though, I actually meant that certain words in your original sentence should be changed into the ones in bold, like this:
いっしょにレストランでハンバーガー 食べて映画を [missing verb] いかない。
いっしょにレストランでハンバーガー 食べて映画を 見に いかない。

Sorry if it was confusing. :sweat_smile:

Oh oke I guess I forgot to add miru myself, haha, no problem.

1 Like