New work in progress for custom radical/vocab lists

[update 2016/11/06]
Another small update. But I needed it for my own studies :):

- possibility to filter out ‘kana-only’ words, for when you want to test on ‘reading’, not ‘meaning’
- download the vocab collection to CSV
[/update]

[update 2016/11/05]
Gave this baby another small release with some bug fixes:

- When you now delete a jisho word, you just delete the one you want to remove, not anything else
- Now when a vocab word has multiple meanings, the separator will always be a semicolon
[/update]

[/update]

[update 2016/10/15]
So it’s now possible to click on the vocab cards of the ‘jisho.org’ results and that result will be automatically filled in the search box, so that you can search/add it to the list :-).

This also means that you can search in english
[/update]

[update 2016/10/13] 
So I actually put my first app live. 

https://memacquire.herokuapp.com

Might make another post of it… dunno :). Please let me know what you guys thinks of it
[/update]

So for some time I’ve been having separate Memrise courses to help me learn grammar/other vocab and every time I’ve been searching the words I encounter manually from different sources (especially wanikani for the radicals… sigh).

So to soften the hassle of searching multiple words > put them in a excelsheet/tab separated file > bulk import into memrise/anki, I created a page that cross searches Wanikani/Jisho.org and auto generates lists for me to copy to clipboard.

It’s a work in progress and a lot of features are missing (like not auto adding, letting the user choose the radicals/vocab it prefers, etc.) but I’d like to hear your feedback.

So go ahead and fire away. I’ll put two gifs of its workings below

http://giphy.com/gifs/l0HlugJQleYb2v2py

https://giphy.com/gifs/3oz8xBkhKuINMYr732

Screenshots:

search result section

is this just to create lists and import them to anki?

If you’d modify one of the review script floating around here (like the burn reviewer) you could implement a damn fine vocab tool (like WK for kanji).

Already looking very good though!

Thanks! 

Well I first started using it when doing Tae Kim. I wanted to put every word that I haven’t already learned with Wanikani into Anki. So I looked up the word on Wanikani, looked up the corresponding radicals,  inserted it into Anki, etc.

Then I found out that some early words (真面目 for example) aren’t on Wanikani. So I had to go to Jisho and do the steps above, etc. etc.

So I now I just fill in the word from Tae Kim/insert source and bam, all the radicals (from either Wanikani or Jisho) are automically filled in the table, without the above time consuming.

Edit:

Yes, a reviewer is exactly the next step :).

Teddy44 said..

Yes, a reviewer is exactly the next step :).
 SWEET

So a small update (milestone for me xD).

I added jisho support for missing vocab.

http://giphy.com/gifs/l0HlugJQleYb2v2py

In the gif above, you can see I search for 真面目 and 屹度 which are both not in Wanikani and it list them perfectly fine (although I would’ve loved to see more radicals for 屹度)

edit: might put it live somewhere in the coming days. I also just added a logo to indicate where a word comes from :).

Kinda sounds like the HouHou dictionary tbh. But good work! Making, organising and remembering my vocab lists is always an annoyance to me. I have words starred on imiwa, words circled in books (with pencil), and photos of words here and there. If HouHou was mobile, I would be in heaven. It’s fantastic that you are creating a way to make things easier for yourself instead of just moaning and convincing yourself that you don’t need to add that word… [¬_¬]

So I actually put my first app live. 

https://memacquire.herokuapp.com

Might make another post of it… dunno :). Please let me know what you guys thinks of it

Damn, two weeks ago me and my friend started similar project but with
focus on reviewing. Even used same bootstrap header and herokuapp as
host.
We made model with simple functional. However, we don’t have enough programming skill so it’s stucked on the proper database design stage.
May be we can join our forces? I would like to use that kind of site to learn and review my textbook vocab.

Thank you! It really helps me create decks faster on Memrise.

Marieexchange said... Thank you! It really helps me create decks faster on Memrise.
 This really really warms my heart :). This is exactly the reason I created the page. If there's anything I can do to improve, let me know!

Eekone said... Damn, two weeks ago me and my friend started similar project but with focus on reviewing. Even used same bootstrap header and herokuapp as host.
We made model with simple functional. However, we don't have enough programming skill so it's stucked on the proper database design stage.
May be we can join our forces? I would like to use that kind of site to learn and review my textbook vocab.

Well this really is just a hobby ^^;. My fourth project (so after the next 2) will be a custom reviewer for this collector. But if you need any advice or you got advice for me, sure, let's mail/talk/chat :D

Yeah, give me please some messenger contact you wold like to use.

Hit me up on twitter :). Here @Teddy_Timo

Do the links at the top of the page not work yet? Or am I being a complete 馬鹿野郎?

JulzShred said... Do the links at the top of the page not work yet? Or am I being a complete 馬鹿野郎?
 you are totally correct! A little teaser of what's to come ;-)