New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

Hello! There actually is a difference between the two (and I assume you’re talking about 下げる and 下がる in WK). The first is transitive and takes a direct object. “I lower the bucket.” The second is intransitive and does not take a direct object. “The bucket gets lower”, or “The bucket drops.” Notice that with the second one, the action occurred on its own, with no accompanying direct object. Maybe in this case it would help for you to think of “to get lower” as something more like “to drop” or “to fall.” The specified item is dropping or falling on its own.

You’ll see these kinds of transitivity pairs in Japanese a lot, so it helps to learn the patterns. With these verbs, 下げる is the transitive one while 下がる is the intransitive one. In general, if you have a pair of verbs like this where one ends in える and the other ends in ある, then the える verb is transitive and the ある verb is intransitive. That’s how you can distinguish the meaning and usage of these words.

For your second question, do you mean that you’re having trouble distinguishing the meaning and reading inputs during reviews? That’s something that gets easier with time and experience in WK. Try to take note of the differences between the two fields (like color), and also the input text (meaning is in English, reading is in Japanese).

6 Likes

I got it about getting lower. I think it would have been more easy to understand if it were “to lower yourself” instead of “to get lower”.
And I made a mnemonic to distinguish transitivity for ある and える verbs: it`s more important to do something for yourself then if somebody do it for your, hence intransitive ある verbs are higher in the gojūon table then える verbs.

1 Like

While it’s true that most (not all) of ‘aru’ verbs are intransitive, not all ‘eru’ verbs are transitive. It’s about half and half in the case of ‘eru’. Verbs that end with ‘su’ or ‘seru’ is the pattern you want to remember for spotting transitive verbs.

3 Likes

Since i can’t say my greetings at the introduction forum, ill say it here. Hi! Im a high schooler and Japanese will be my 3rd language (if i ever got through it lol).

4 Likes

Are there any apk version of this app?

This is unfortunately not an app, it’s a userscript.
These userscripts work only within browsers afaik.
However, if you use WaniKani in Firefox on your phone and download ViolentMonkey, it will actually still work. However, be sure to also download WaniKani Open Framework first!

Also, to add to @SleepyOne’s points, you might want to see @anon20839864’s article on the subject, or listen to the podcast! I found both helpful, and still refer to the article when I occasionally get confused.

2 Likes

There are some WaniKani apps in the Play Store, but they are not official. They’re made by users!

1 Like

not so new, but I’ve got a question: If you’ve reached level 60 and eventually your subscription runs out, can you still access the higher level kanji’s individual pages? For example, let’s say I want to look back on the mnemonic/story for a kanji in level 20 (https://www.wanikani.com/kanji/難), can I still access that page after my subscription is up?

1 Like

I can’t say for certain, but I’d imagine so. Just because you’ve reached level 60 doesn’t mean you’ve burned everything.

Edit: I just realized i said the opposite of what I meant to say - that the post level 3 stuff gets locked out.

2 Likes

Also @bladepoint

As far as I know; no it’s not possible. I’ve read lv 60 posts where they talk about how it would be nice to burn everything, but their sub will run out so they can’t because they are unwilling to resub just for that.

I could be totally wrong, but I think you can only see lvl 1-3 without sub, even at 60. But like everything else; if you resub, your progress should still be there.

6 Likes

makes sense, thanks!
and @bladepoint thanks too!

1 Like

Nope :slight_smile: It’s paid content after all.

3 Likes

I didn’t find this question anywhere so sorry if it was already posted.

Will WK ever cover more Kanji/add more levels in the future? Because as far as I know, there are many that hadn’t been covered yet.

1 Like

Probably not, though there is a possibility they will as they haven’t explicitly said they won’t. Some possible explanation for why they probably won’t was given here by people more knowledgeable than I.

2 Likes

I think they usually say it’s possible but they probably won’t add a significant amount.

1 Like

Original WaniKani had 50 levels and they did add 10 more along the way. It is definitely not planned any time soon, but I don’t see why they wouldn’t at some point. More plausible is adding some more vocab for levels 50-60 in the near future, though.

2 Likes

which level do you have to get to to begin understanding childrens manga and such? I’ve had my eyes on yatsubato for a while. looks pretty simple.

1 Like

When it comes to reading, grammar is more important than kanji. It’s much easier to look up unknown kanji/words on something like jisho.org but looking up unknown grammar is harder. However, level 15-20 should be a good start. Just prepare to look up words a lot.

6 Likes

Is there a userscript that changes the font of the kanji/hiragana? Thanks.

1 Like